Limp mode only when towing otherwise fine, HELP - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Transmissions > Allison OEM
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

Allison OEM Discuss repairing & maintaining an OEM Allison automatic transmission.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2019, 03:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
firedreamer
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Limp mode only when towing otherwise fine, HELP

OK folks need some help. Have owned a 2005 3500 Silverado dully for 3 years without problems. 163000 miles on the completely stock Duramax / Alison 1000 setup. The last month or so it has gone into limp mode but only when I start to tow our 5th wheel. It will reset if i pull over and turn it off for a min or two but I have only let this happen about 3 maybe 4 times. It will drive all day long and hundreds of miles at any speed without towing. All normal shifting, So I had the error codes pulled and get the classic P0700 from the ECM and so I know that means a internal trans error code and the local Alison shop will pull that code for me this coming Tue for $75 versus the Chevy dealers $100.
So here is my question, Is there anything that could possibly be wrong inside the trans like a solenoid or maybe the TCM needing to be re-flashed or replaced or something that could cause this without needing to do a complete rebuild? I just don't have the $ to do a complete rebuild right now, but something short of that , maybe. I don't mind spending the $75 if there's any chance they could find a cheap repair but if there's no chance at all short of rebuild and it's drive it for now without towing or rebuild I would rather not spend the $75 right now. THOUGHTS ?
Thanks for your suggestions

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2019, 03:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedreamer View Post
OK folks need some help. Have owned a 2005 3500 Silverado dully for 3 years without problems. 163000 miles on the completely stock Duramax / Alison 1000 setup. The last month or so it has gone into limp mode but only when I start to tow our 5th wheel. It will reset if i pull over and turn it off for a min or two but I have only let this happen about 3 maybe 4 times. It will drive all day long and hundreds of miles at any speed without towing. All normal shifting, So I had the error codes pulled and get the classic P0700 from the ECM and so I know that means a internal trans error code and the local Alison shop will pull that code for me this coming Tue for $75 versus the Chevy dealers $100.
So here is my question, Is there anything that could possibly be wrong inside the trans like a solenoid or maybe the TCM needing to be re-flashed or replaced or something that could cause this without needing to do a complete rebuild? I just don't have the $ to do a complete rebuild right now, but something short of that , maybe. I don't mind spending the $75 if there's any chance they could find a cheap repair but if there's no chance at all short of rebuild and it's drive it for now without towing or rebuild I would rather not spend the $75 right now. THOUGHTS ?
Thanks for your suggestions
I would call and ask your local auto parts stores if they have a scanner that can pull TCM codes.
If they do, then go get the codes pulled for free and post them here

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2019, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
D_R_C
Diesel Prodigy

My ? would be are you using towhaul when towing ?
If not then start using towhaul when towing, Allison will suggest the same.
And yes, try to get the TCM codes read.
What's actually wrong don't know until you get the code numbers.
And the repair cost, same answer as above.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-route
AirDog 4G100

2007 GMC Yukon Denali "BLACK" 6.2 gasser, DIY stock airbox mod, K & N OEM drop-in, Airaid intake tube, EFILive TCM tuned

Last edited by D_R_C; 04-28-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2019, 12:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

What is the total weight if your fifth wheel when you are using it? And where do you live and tow your fifth wheel?

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 04-29-2019, 08:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
G2GBY
Diesel Boss

P0700 is the TCM requesting a MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light aka: "check engine"). All the 700 code does is tell the ECM "something's wrong" and to illuminate the MIL. There is another code in the TCM that you need to pull that will actually tell you what the malfunction is so.

Like said above I go to a local parts store to have code read for free. If one place can't read it I go to another. Seems like there all stack up in a row by us.

Report back with code.

Last edited by G2GBY; 04-29-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
dmax3500
Diesel Ace

where are you located?

maybe a member has a ''tech2'' scanner and can look at it for you
Old 04-29-2019, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
firedreamer
Heat Sink

Answers - yes I use the tow mode the rv weight is 14,500 loaded out, we are full times but base is in the PNW but last year we traveled about 15,000 mile down through the south west and over to mid-west areas. I have called 3 parts stores and they all tell me they only have the most basic readers so nobody can read the TCM codes so far but i will make more calls
Old 04-29-2019, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

Quote:
Answers - yes I use the tow mode the rv weight is 14,500 loaded out, we are full times but base is in the PNW but last year we traveled about 15,000 mile down through the south west and over to mid-west areas. I have called 3 parts stores and they all tell me they only have the most basic readers so nobody can read the TCM codes so far but i will make more calls
Autozone aand OReilly usually have very capable scanners by Bosch.

You are towing pretty heavy and your trans is slipping, meaning the steels and clutches are wearing out. The more this happens, the more often it will become, until you need to rebuild the trans. Kep the throttle pressure light at shift points, let next gear engage before applying more engine power. There are kits that will increase the line pressure to help the clutch packs hold, but once they start to slip on a regular basis, I don't think they help much.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 04-30-2019, 08:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Quote:
I have called 3 parts stores and they all tell me they only have the most basic readers so nobody can read the TCM codes so far but i will make more calls
You must visit if all possible. Most places don’t even know what there units are capable of. Advance auto usually lets me use there Actron Elite AutoScanner Part #CP9690 because there to busy.
Just was pulling our 5er into Hocking Hills Ohio and threw a P0732. You never know what code your going to get pulling. They aren’t the normal codes. First place only could read P0700 second place they didn’t know if the could read a trans code but they did.
Now I need to get it rebuilt.

Last edited by Rvn4me; 04-30-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
D_R_C
Diesel Prodigy

Driving around town possibly waisting fuel and time if the first one or 2 don’t have the tool to read TCM, or just drive to the place that has the scanner that reads TCM.
I don’t think a basic scanner can read TCM, basic OBD2 scanners are what most auto part have, where I live.
Where most shops have the ability to read everything having the proper software, but this comes at a cost, not free.

Allison might wave the fee, if they end up doing the repair.
Something to consider checking out.

EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-route
AirDog 4G100

2007 GMC Yukon Denali "BLACK" 6.2 gasser, DIY stock airbox mod, K & N OEM drop-in, Airaid intake tube, EFILive TCM tuned

Last edited by D_R_C; 04-30-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in