Allison transmission fluid? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Transmissions > Allison OEM
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Allison OEM Discuss repairing & maintaining an OEM Allison automatic transmission.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2018, 01:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
dk24291
Self Ignition

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Allison transmission fluid?

First off, don't bother trying to link me to any other tranny fluid threads.. I've already looked through them, and can't find what I need to know.

2006 LBZ with the 6 speed Alli.

Has anyone ever ran Valvoline Dexron VI full synthetic in their Allison? I just got 8qts of it today to do my tranny service next weekend. It says on the bottle GM approved, but it doesn't say anything about Allison TES-389 approved. Anyone ever use Valvoline/know it is safe to run in the Allison? Want to be 100% sure before I do my service next weekend

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2018, 02:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Oregonnovaguy
Diesel Pro

Dex VI is what GM recommends. TES295 is what Allison recommends. If you've already looked at all the fluid threads, you should know all the arguments. Since the change intervals are so infrequent, I don't mind spending the extra for the "good stuff".

2007.5 Silverado LTZ / Z-71, 4x4, Crew Cab SB, Silver Birch/ Ebony Leather, , 150k + miles, , etc. Gearbox Z, Air Lifts
Montana High Country 310RE
My Other other Car: 70 Nova SS 350, 4 speed, posi, Fathom Blue, frame-off resto, original owner!
Previous Trucks: '03 Silverado CC gasser 4x4, '99 Sierra Ext. Cab 4x4, '77 Dodge Power Wagon 4x4, '76 Datsun 620.

Read the DISCLAIMER in my garage.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2018, 03:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
dk24291
Self Ignition

I'm not going to spend the extra on Transynd. I called both my local Chevrolet dealership and a local small diesel mechanic shop and both told me use Dex VI. The dealership even told me they use Dex VI when they service, so it just made sense to me to get what they say to use. My only question was, is the Valvoline safe to use although it's not TES-389?
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2018, 09:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
G2GBY
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk24291 View Post
My only question was, is the Valvoline safe to use although it's not TES-389?
Valvoline DEXRON VI is safe. Along with the other 100 DEXRON VI oils. Pick a flavor.
Funny thing is I find Valvoline DEXRON VI is more expensive than Transyd.

I why would you want to use TES-389 oil?

The service intervals for oils used from TES 389 are more frequent and are as follows:
Fluid 12,000 miles / 500 hours / 6 months; whichever comes first

When using Allison Lube spec TES 295 fluid, change intervals should be as follows:
Fluid 150,000 miles / 6,000 hours / 48 months; whichever comes first

Last edited by G2GBY; 04-15-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Oregonnovaguy
Diesel Pro

True story^. Go to post#38:
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/57-...re-help-4.html

2007.5 Silverado LTZ / Z-71, 4x4, Crew Cab SB, Silver Birch/ Ebony Leather, , 150k + miles, , etc. Gearbox Z, Air Lifts
Montana High Country 310RE
My Other other Car: 70 Nova SS 350, 4 speed, posi, Fathom Blue, frame-off resto, original owner!
Previous Trucks: '03 Silverado CC gasser 4x4, '99 Sierra Ext. Cab 4x4, '77 Dodge Power Wagon 4x4, '76 Datsun 620.

Read the DISCLAIMER in my garage.

Last edited by Oregonnovaguy; 04-15-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
dk24291
Self Ignition

Hell with it, I'll take back the Valvoline today and order Transynd.. Not sure where 12k miles came from (I read 50,000 in my manual) but I'll take your word for it.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to order it from the cheapest? $50 a gallon is crazy. I'll only need 2 gallons (8qts) correct? I'm not flushing the torque convertor, just draining fluid and adding.. Do I need to do that deal where I put Transynd in, run it for a few thousand miles, then drain and refill again, or can I just do a normal drain and refill? I'm almost 99% sure the truck has had Dex VI in it since new

Last edited by dk24291; 04-15-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
G2GBY
Diesel Boss

Mixture is defined as the quantity of Allison Approved TES 389 and Allison Approved TES 295 fluid remaining in the transmission after a standard fluid change.

If the transmission contains such a mixture, it is not eligible for the 100% concentration extended change intervals, until the second consecutive fluid change using Allison Approved TES 295 fluid.

Fluid exchange (purge) machines are not recommended or recognized due to variation and inconsistencies with ensuring removal of 100% of the used fluid.

https://www.wwwilliams.com
This is where I buy all my Allison parts, Transyd, filter etc...
If they don't have the Allison part in stock they can get it same or next day.
They rebuild every Allison model there is.
Transyd $32 Gal.

Last edited by G2GBY; 04-15-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
dk24291
Self Ignition

Thanks a bunch G2, I'll do $32/gallon no problem.. so basically to do what I need, I'll need 4 gallons? Is it necessary to change the filters again the 2nd time?
Old 04-16-2018, 03:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
DEWFPO
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk24291 View Post
Do I need to do that deal where I put Transynd in, run it for a few thousand miles, then drain and refill again, or can I just do a normal drain and refill? I'm almost 99% sure the truck has had Dex VI in it since new
I followed the expert's opinion and dumped the ATF again after only 200 miles for the double dump method. I wouldn't go 2000 miles.

DEWFPO
G80, Dual Batteries, 145 Amp Alt., Bilsteins, Green Diamond 265's, Retrax Retractable Hard Tonneau, PUTCO SS Bed Rails, Bushwacker Bed Rail Protectors, GM SS Tube Steps, Prodigy Brake Controller, CubbyCam BackUp Camera with Tailgate Handle Camera Mount, Hi-Lo-Fogs on HIGH
Old 04-16-2018, 10:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
G2GBY
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWFPO View Post
I followed the expert's opinion and dumped the ATF again after only 200 miles for the double dump method. I wouldn't go 2000 miles.

DEWFPO
It doesn't matter if it's 200 or 2000 for the second consecutive fluid change as long as it's done your achieving the same.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in