2002 Allison issues - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Transmissions > Allison OEM
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Allison OEM Discuss repairing & maintaining an OEM Allison automatic transmission.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2017, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crimson72
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

2002 Allison issues

I'm having some odd issues with my Allison as of late.

A few weeks ago it started to not want to shift into 3rd or 4th when I went from reverse to going forward. At times I'd hit a bump and I'd lose all gears. Went under truck and manually shifted it into N and did the same for the shifter. Started truck. Put in gear and made it home no issues. Shifted fine for 200 miles.
Researched and most said the NSBU switch. Picked up a new one from GM. Installed it and all seemed fine for the next 700 miles.

Took the truck out today. Lots of rough gravel roads and it felt like it had a surge twice. Thought it was nothing as all seemed ok.

Then went over some railway tracks and it felt like it slipped out of gear. Revved right up and wouldn't go anywhere. It also popped a SES light after this.
Got under truck as I was thinking maybe the bump loosened up one of the connectors on the NSBU. All seems ok. Then cycled it on off on. And all gears were back. Drove for maybe 7 miles. Got up to 65mph and that surge was back. Dropped down and it would go away.
Drove for another 30 miles and it just went out of gear again. Pulled over. Put it in park and back to drive. All was fine.
Got back into city. Drove into a friends driveway to drop him off. Backed out. No reverse at all. Tried to cycle it again. Nothing. But for word gears worked still. So pushed it back and drove home.
Now while driving home it felt like a transmission was slipping when I went from a stop to going forward. Once moving it was ok.
Got home. Shut it off. Went to take a leak. Came out checked the fluids again. All full. Got in truck. Now all gears are back again and strong.

Any ideas what it could be? Or where to start. I don't want to head to the trans shop as they will just say pull it and charge me a fortune.

The truck is never abused. Always highway miles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2017, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ramblinrodney
Diesel Veteran

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Go to your favorite parts store to have your code read for free and report back. All of our parts stores around where I live have a reader that is capable to read TCM codes. There are garages that do this and also our dealer reads codes for free.

Transgo Jr. PCV Reroute kit, Trans Line Repair Kit By Dirty Hooker Diesel,
Custom Perf/Tow Tune by Kennedy
2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L 10,500 dry weight
UAW Local 699 Retired Test Technician
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crimson72
Low Boost

PO463
PO735
PO840
PO700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mike L.
Supporting Vendor

Possible transfer case problem
Old 04-10-2017, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crimson72
Low Boost

Pulled the plug on TCase. Basically dry. 2 little ounces came out.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
jake111
Diesel Boss

There are thousands of posts about transfer case "pump rub" to read, then you can look for the pinhole where all the atf leaked out of the transfer case. There are several after-market options to prevent it in the future. Be sure a new or rebuilt t-case has something to avoid it happening again in the future. GM provided a "solution" but it's not as robust as the after-market options.

On Edit: See sticky on pump rub in the Drivetrain - 2001-2010 section.
TxC V2 aux radiator w/Fan (leaked after 12 yrs), engineer837 aux rad , TxC CAI, LBZ MP, Scangauge II, Nicktane aux filter head, KD lift pump, 2008 PS pump, 2011 hydroboost, Frederico Swaybars, Rancho 9000XL, Torklift StableLoads, BFG AT/KO2, Lance 835 Camper often in the bed.

Last edited by jake111; 04-10-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mike L.
Supporting Vendor

Pump rub may not have had anything to do with this problem. Transfer case fluid is know to vaporize. I did a big post about this years ago here. Do a search.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crimson72
Low Boost

Filled it up. So far so good.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crimson72
Low Boost

Well back to what it was doing Sunday. Was fine all week. Pulling a trailer and everything. Then tonight driving down Hwy and hit a bump and it popped out of OD. Then slowly started its slipping feeling. Stopped. Reset it. Everything perfect again.

On the way home was fine. Hit a bump again same thing. Stopped and reset it and perfect.

Any ideas what's going on now ?
Old 04-13-2017, 12:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crimson72
Low Boost

I also don't have TOW/ HAUL mode anymore.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in