Question: Request for photo of flywheel vent hose and holder - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Transmissions > 4L80/85E Transmissions. 6L90 Transmission
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

4L80/85E Transmissions. 6L90 Transmission Discuss the 4L80/85E transmissions found in the 6.2/6.5L equipped vehicles and Duramax equipped vans. 6L90 discussion.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2018, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Art4med
Glow Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Request for photo of flywheel vent hose and holder

Dropped the trans pan a year ago. The odd thing found was *hardware in the pan:: a short vinyl/plastic tube with a screw and a short flat/curved stainless tab, which we assumed was for retension.
The mech with me couldn’t ID [low-no real knowledge of trannies between us], so “let’s replace it where it *looks like it came from.” Which was somewhere NW on the valve body.

Since then, I’ve assumed he was correct. Looking in the manual NOW, however, makes me SUSPECT it MIGHT have been the vent hose between the case and flywheel, which is at the TOP of the case. And, tho the truck hasn’t moved in months, the trans was seeriously acting-up when parked.

The manual’s DRAWING I have is very small and almost illegible —neither a confirmation nor denial. Dunno even if that vent hose could *possibly get to the pan from its presumed placement at the top of the case.
Does anyone have a PHOTO of this vent part, esp its retention clip? Isolated and/or in place?

OR, confirm a place/purpose for it on valve body? I’ll be dropping pan again soon.

1996 Chevrolet K3500 6.5L turbodiesel, VIN"F", DS4, dually 4x4, standard cab/chassis on 31403 frame with Wheeled Coach TypeI Ambulance module; 4L80-E trans on 3.73:1 rear, widetrack; 53K mi; GVWR:12k, HD front suspension. Work and replaced: Serpentine belt and idler, PMD @9ohms relocated to grille, oil cooler/lines and fittings, 2x 105A alternators, fusibles, starter, CDV (washed), coolant flush, ignition relay, rear shoes and front discs, pintle seal, added grounds (cleaned all AGAIN); WSS, VSS, TISS, TOSS, OPS, xover ECTS, dual 180° thermo’s, TOYO tires, Lower ball joints, shocks, stabilizer links front/rear, 93 lift pump, batteries, rebuilt 4L80E; AmbuModule is a WIP (lots to go!)
Proven: “You can only afford this vehicle if its worked-on yourself”, a labor of love that is best-attended with the help gratefully-found only here at DP!
Whoever mixed peanut oil into wiring insulation? Hmmnnn?
3500 Dually Club member #1100
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2018, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

Lifetime Premium-7 Member

4l80E rebuild manual shows vent on page #66
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/***...ebuild-gm-.pdf

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube Winter Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2018, 03:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Art4med
Glow Plug

Thanks, @OKDually — I hadn’t seen that attachment... I’d better get to that section and see what else applies.
Another great resource on DP!

So the vent tube goes exterior... will check for it above (if only by feel) and make certain its clear (with the requisite wire as probe). I can’t imagine *that one getting down to the pan, tho... it came from *somewhere. maaaybe
His photos are much better than my dwgs.

Think now that the described “tab” is seen as a harness retention clip at bolt 21 (pg 97 of 100). However, I have missed seeing ANY other vinyl tube in that publication....
1996 Chevrolet K3500 6.5L turbodiesel, VIN"F", DS4, dually 4x4, standard cab/chassis on 31403 frame with Wheeled Coach TypeI Ambulance module; 4L80-E trans on 3.73:1 rear, widetrack; 53K mi; GVWR:12k, HD front suspension. Work and replaced: Serpentine belt and idler, PMD @9ohms relocated to grille, oil cooler/lines and fittings, 2x 105A alternators, fusibles, starter, CDV (washed), coolant flush, ignition relay, rear shoes and front discs, pintle seal, added grounds (cleaned all AGAIN); WSS, VSS, TISS, TOSS, OPS, xover ECTS, dual 180° thermo’s, TOYO tires, Lower ball joints, shocks, stabilizer links front/rear, 93 lift pump, batteries, rebuilt 4L80E; AmbuModule is a WIP (lots to go!)
Proven: “You can only afford this vehicle if its worked-on yourself”, a labor of love that is best-attended with the help gratefully-found only here at DP!
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Glagulator
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Post photos of the parts in question.

99 CREW LONG SRW C3500 work truck 199k+ mi. orig. motor & trans 4.10, modded engine harness, new oil cooler & lines, all new front end parts and poly bushings, trans poly mount, all new brakes.
96 SUBURBAN K2500 wife's truck 210k+ mi. orig. motor & trans, 3.73...
95 C2500 Suburban 6.5td HO w/p, timing set, HB & pulley, all rubber hoses, modded engine & main harness, converted to OBD2, PMD to bumper...
95 C1500 Suburban 6.5td rebuild tranny, convert to DB2, replacing as many parts as I can.
96 C2500 Suburban 7.4L converting to 6.5td w/ DB2, 4L80, 3.73
Old 03-22-2018, 02:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Art4med
Glow Plug

Sry, @Gladulator , no photos; pan replaced. However, I did ID the clip, as above; only no idea where the tube went. Clear tubing, 3-4”.
I see no other tubing in manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in