Dewalt 18v to 20v adapter? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Other Topics > Shop Talk
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Shop Talk Discuss everything in your shop/garage including tools, machines, layout, etc.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2017, 11:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Dewalt 18v to 20v adapter?

Anyone using one of the adapters to let you run new 20v batteries on 18V tools? I have maybe 10 Dewalt 18v tools. At the moment I don't need any additional tools or feel the need to upgrade to anything 20v but I'm sure that day will come at some point. Reason I am asking now is I think I need some new batteries. A 2 pack of 18's is still in the $100 range so not that bad but I see you can get a set with 2 20v batteries the adapter and a charger for about $150 so also not too bad.

All I have heard about the adapters is sometimes they don't latch and unlatch as good as the 18v batteries did and that for some reason they made it at an angle so tools won't likely still sit flat on the batteries.

15 VW Golf wagon, TDI. Did the buyback on my 13 Jetta TDI wagon so it was basically a trade up.
96 Burb K25 3.42's SOLD at 340K miles, told it was all original, close race between engine wearing out or body completely rust out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
BanksLB7Duramax
Diesel Champ

I've been using one for quite some time on a few 18V tools in my garage that I haven't upgraded to 20V yet. I think the adapter works pretty well, before I got the Flexvolt grinder I used it a lot on my 18V grinder and the lithium ion batteries will last 2-3 times longer than the 18V NiCad batteries. It does add a little bit of length to the tool, but if you're using the smaller compact lithium batteries it ends up being about the same, plus the battery is so much lighter than 18V battery. I haven't had any unlatching problems with the adapter, but there are some tools it does seem to fit pretty snuggly on like the grinder, and it takes a little bit of effort to get it off, but honestly I'd rather have it like that then be rattling around all loose.

If you use those tools a lot it is worth upgrading to the new 20V tools, the new brushless stuff is amazing. However if you have a bunch of tools that you just use every once in a while the adapter is a great option. The kit with the adapter and the two compact batteries is a good buy, I see that kit at fleet farm pretty regularly for pretty cheap, but if I was going to do it I would buy the adapter separately and then buy a two pack of five amp hour batteries.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

MY FUELLY PAGE LINK

1984 C20 6.2 J Code TH400
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2017, 01:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

Thanks for the tip on the different capacities of the 20v batteries. I didn't know they came in different flavors. That kinda explains the kit prices vs just batteries. It seemed like the kit was just a little more than 2 batteries and you got the adapter and the charger but if they are half capacity batteries that makes a difference.

I seem to go in spurts of using the tools. I have enough of them that I always seem to get some use out of something so I keep rotating through the batteries. Flash / work lights get pretty regular use. I seem to get about 5 years out of batteries. At times I have heavily used and likely abused some of the tools like the drill so it doesn't owe me anything but its still working good.

That is the big hesitation I have about doing something different is I may end up with batteries sitting for a long time which I assume even for lithium isn't great. Only experience with lithium tools is someone gave me a 12v Milwaukee driver that I have use a fair amount and am impressed at what it can do for its size.
15 VW Golf wagon, TDI. Did the buyback on my 13 Jetta TDI wagon so it was basically a trade up.
96 Burb K25 3.42's SOLD at 340K miles, told it was all original, close race between engine wearing out or body completely rust out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

I bought the kit which indeed does have what appear to be the smallest batteries. I got it at a local tool shop. The guy there said the small lithium will slightly out perform the NiCad so that is one reason they put them in the kit, other reason of course is price. He also said even with the adapter they are close to the same physical size. I only have a couple tools with original cases and they don't fit in either case with the battery and adapter, its close but not quite.

The adapter has a couple extra fins on it where it plugs into the tools that prevent it from fitting in some tools. I think I have tried it in most and so far the only no goes are flashlights. I presume it prevents you from using the NiCad chargers too which I assume includes my radio which I was expecting.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

I have almost every old 18volt DeWalt tool and keep eyeing the 20volt Lithium kits (which are really 18volt, btw) but..... I purposely built a single battery system over the years so that I never have to have a bunch of different chargers or batteries or adapters. I hate that my old Nicd system is obsolete and fear that by the time I transition over to 20volt DeWalt lithium with a bunch of expensive adapters and batteries, so too will that system.

I do absolutely love the added capacity of the 20Volt Lithium system. But also have no complaints of the old 18volt Nicd system. One big reason though is the heat of the desert (bad for Lithium) and the roughness of which the Nicds can handle much better than the Lithium batteries. Lithium hates heat and physical abuse.

I think I'll just keep limping along my Nicd system until it becomes cost prohibitive. I really do not want to have to carry more different parts on the truck than I have to. My 2 cents.

Added on edit: As for tools not sitting upright on their batteries, I got out of that habit years ago of placing them upright. Ever since I had a drill get knocked over and snap an expensive bit, I insist on always laying tools on their side. You can't knock it over if it's already laying down.

Obama Spied, FBI Lied But Trump Impeached

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... welfare for illegals... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Last edited by mp06011999; 09-23-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2017, 07:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
racecar_level
Sparkplug Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57diesel View Post
Anyone using one of the adapters to let you run new 20v batteries on 18V tools? I have maybe 10 Dewalt 18v tools. At the moment I don't need any additional tools or feel the need to upgrade to anything 20v but I'm sure that day will come at some point. Reason I am asking now is I think I need some new batteries. A 2 pack of 18's is still in the $100 range so not that bad but I see you can get a set with 2 20v batteries the adapter and a charger for about $150 so also not too bad.

All I have heard about the adapters is sometimes they don't latch and unlatch as good as the 18v batteries did and that for some reason they made it at an angle so tools won't likely still sit flat on the batteries.
I have deWalt and Milwaukee The adapters work OK on them But I just bought this bad boy N and M18 jacket The impact Is the 1100' pounds Was the real deal 5 year warranty And the jacket might save A life if you found someone in shock

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2017, 01:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

Looks like Dewalt finally came out with a tool I have always wanted, a fan and its a 20v so good thing I have started moving into the 20v stuff. Why it take them so long?

11 in. Corded/Cordless Jobsite Fan - DCE511B | DEWALT

Anyone know how much smoke they include in the 18v stuff from the factory? I let some out of my drill early this year. Who knew that it was bad to cover the vents on the back with your hand to get more leverage when drilling through steel? Then I had a helper helping me with a deck project last week and he came into the garage looking for a fresh battery with smoke pouring out of my impact. Booth tools seem to still be working fine but I'm guessing there isn't a lot of smoke left in em and I know stuff needs smoke to work properly.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

IF anyone is by a Mills Fleet Farm they have that kit on sale for $99 till Dec 24th. Like someone above pointed out it comes with the 2hr batteries but my experience so far is they last longer than the XRP ones did so its still an improvement. $150 seems like a typical price so $99 was too good a deal to pass up.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

Just for fun was out playing with the batteries and adapters. Fresh off the charger the 20v 2h pack reads 18.6v. XRP 18 not directly fresh off the charger 18.9v. I suppose they named them 20v just do differentiate them from the different versions of the 18's.

I took a closer look at why the adapter doesn't fit my lights and turns out it fits 2 out of the 3, I apparently didn't try very hard the first time. The DW919 'snake' light has the official dewalt led conversion in it where you change the whole lens assembly. When I use a 20v battery on that there is a steady pulse to the light for some reason. Its steady for like 2 seconds then it pulses off just long enough to be annoying. Tried batteries in different states of charge so not quite sure what is causing that.

Was considering modding my DC527 lights to fit the adapter when I discovered that only one of them won't let the battery slide in all the way, the other fits just fine. Interestingly that has the same pulse thing going on.

So looks like I will be keeping dual inventory batteries for a while. The lights are probably what I use the most. I'm thinking of picking up the new fan which is only 20v and the DCB090 usb adapter for the 20v packs. Was also looking at the DCL061 work light since it takes 120v, 18v, or 20v packs and looks like it would be handy for laying on the ground under cars. Anyone have that one?
Old 01-10-2018, 11:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
BanksLB7Duramax
Diesel Champ

I recommend investing in all 20v led lights, the old 18v lights, especially the “snake lights” absolutely pale in comparison to the newer lights, even with an led in it. The DCL061 is a great light. The DCL061 will run off batteries or 120v, but there is also a DCL060 that is identical but it just runs off the batteries, I use both. The only problem I’ve had is that they tend to not flash when the batteries are close to dead like they are supposed to, and if you have them standing up on the end they can be a bit tippy, but laying flat they are rock solid.

The DCL050 is a great light too for under hood work.

And yes, DeWalt calls the new batteries 20v because of stupid people, but they are still called 18v in Europe, what’s that tell ya?

But seriously, get rid of those 18v lights, the new led lights are vastly superior.

MY FUELLY PAGE LINK

1984 C20 6.2 J Code TH400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in