How old is your ATV? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Other Topics > Off The Beaten Path
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Off The Beaten Path A forum dedicated to weekend trail warriors, swamp divers, mud eaters ATV's and rock crawlers.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree15Likes
  • 2 Post By Randy_the_Hack
  • 1 Post By davester
  • 2 Post By BanksLB7Duramax
  • 3 Post By thepepper
  • 2 Post By RINGNEKS
  • 3 Post By biotec
  • 2 Post By Tolliwacker

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2020, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Randy_the_Hack
Administrator
Mister, your truck's smoking...

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Lifetime Premium-7 Member

How old is your ATV?

So... I bought one of the first Suzuki Vinson's sold in Kentucky - it's a 2002 I bought in the late fall of 2001. It's a single cylinder 500 cc bike... tons of power, quick 2wd/4wd button on the right side of the handlebar. It's got an automatic transmission - belt drive, don't recall the technical name. I added a Moose Executive seat, a set of rifle mounts on the front rack, a Kolpin gun boot on the back/right, and I've had to replace the winch. I keep a battery tender on it to keep the battery up and ready; it's garage-kept 'cause my Silverado won't fit in the garage anyway.

The bike doesn't have that many miles or hours on it, but I use it for small work on my property just about all the time... it's my yard tractor. I have a small John Deere dump cart I use for smaller stuff; when I need a bigger trailer, I have a 15-foot tag-along trailer I can hook up.

The single biggest problem I've had with this baby is that Suzuki developed the thing with collaboration with Warn winches; somehow they managed to bollix up the assignment - they managed to create a circuit problem that would burn out the control panel in the head of the ATV - you could start the engine but you couldn't shut it off. They wound up replacing 3 separate heads before they mostly solved the problem, then 2 years following the last fix, the problem arose again and I had to fight tooth and nail with a regional Suzuki rep to get them to fix it one last time... even the dealer was sick of seeing me. But in the last fix, they replaced the winch switch, winch wiring, and everything else. By that time, my winch had become a brick, so I replaced it with a brand new winch... and I've been good ever since.

I've had this thing all over Kentucky, all over southern Tennessee, and elk hunting in south-eastern Colorado (re-jetted it so I could operate smoothly above 10k ft elevation, then re-jetted once back home). Other than the above issues, I replaced tires after my son ran over a busted jar and sliced a tire open, and I had to repair/gusset the rear rack and right rear fender when my other son flipped the bike when he hit a downed tree (the first freaking weekend I owned it!! ). Had to replace the battery 3-4 times, but only once since I bought a battery tender.

What do y'all have, and how old are they? I've had friends who haven't gotten more than 2-4 years out of theirs... and I'm on what... year 19? FYI, I hope it lasts another 20 years... but I'm betting I'm on borrowed time.

'04.5 Silverado 2500 HD LLY/Suncoast Allison Dark Spiral Gray Metallic, EC/LB LT 4x4, leather, Nerf bars, Edge Racing Evolution CTS, AC Delco stock filter w/TxC CAI, ProFab Performance intake tube, LBZ Kodiak turbo mouthpiece (see Rick's flow bench test results here), Diamond Eye Turbo Downpipe, EGR blocked (fingerless), PCV rerouted, Silverline 4" 409SS, All Headlights mod , HIR lows and highs w/SilverStar fogs, OnStar, Du-Ha USS, ARMA spray liner, DrawTite Activator II, VentShades, Lund Genesis Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover, Pop-n-Lock tailgate lock, Bilstein 5100's, Merchant Automotive tie rod sleeves, Fleece Performance TapShifter, Michelin LTX M/S2 245/75 R16

"Suppose I were a congressman. And suppose I were an idiot. But I repeat myself..." - Mark Twain
"Life is hard. Life is harder if you're stupid." - John Wayne
"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt." - Anonymous

Last edited by Randy_the_Hack; 01-27-2020 at 03:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2020, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

"winch"

A wench is a whole other thing...

Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2020, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
BanksLB7Duramax
Diesel Champ

I’ve got a Honda Rincon I bought new in 2003. That thing has been on trails and dunes all over the country. I’ve launched it off dunes, railed it down countless trails, and I put on hundreds of miles a year plowing our long driveway and pulling a mower in the summer. I’ve put several sets of tires on it, on my third seat, replaced all the plastics twice I think. A couple years ago the oil pump chain fell off, while it was on the trailer no less, so I ended up rebuilding the top end, new oil pump and chain, all the seals, replated the cylinder, new high compression piston, Webcam camshaft, mild porting, etc. That quad has been beat to piss, rolled many times (most not by me lol), gauge cluster replaced a few times, new steering stem from rolling it, tie rod ends, maybe a few other little maintenance things, but otherwise it has been a crazy reliable machine. I keep waiting for it to blow, or the tranny that people say is not meant to be worked to crap out, but it doesn’t. When I plow I literally have it in second gear with the throttle pegged for sometimes hours and it doesn’t miss a beat. I LOVE the automatic tranny, I would never, ever, ever have a belt CVT transmission on anything. I’m not exactly sure of the miles I have on it because it resets to zero when I replace the cluster, but it’s around 12,000. It has been an amazing machine and lived up to the Honda name.

I also have a 1999 Yamaha Warrior 350 that is a blast to run around with and a great machine to teach people how to drive a clutch.

Then I’ve got a few Honda TRX450R sport quads. They all are either an ‘04 or ‘05, but they are identical for those two years only. Some are blown currently, some are in the process of being rebuilt currently, and some are full on race builds lol. The 450s are my passion and I can pretty much build them in my sleep. I take them riding all over the country, trails, dunes, fields, ditches, whatever.
MY FUELLY PAGE LINK

1984 C20 6.2 J Code TH400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2020, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Randy_the_Hack
Administrator
Mister, your truck's smoking...

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Lifetime Premium-7 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
"winch"

A wench is a whole other thing...
HAHAHA!!!!!!!

Yep, you're right. I'll fix that.

'04.5 Silverado 2500 HD LLY/Suncoast Allison Dark Spiral Gray Metallic, EC/LB LT 4x4, leather, Nerf bars, Edge Racing Evolution CTS, AC Delco stock filter w/TxC CAI, ProFab Performance intake tube, LBZ Kodiak turbo mouthpiece (see Rick's flow bench test results here), Diamond Eye Turbo Downpipe, EGR blocked (fingerless), PCV rerouted, Silverline 4" 409SS, All Headlights mod , HIR lows and highs w/SilverStar fogs, OnStar, Du-Ha USS, ARMA spray liner, DrawTite Activator II, VentShades, Lund Genesis Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover, Pop-n-Lock tailgate lock, Bilstein 5100's, Merchant Automotive tie rod sleeves, Fleece Performance TapShifter, Michelin LTX M/S2 245/75 R16

"Suppose I were a congressman. And suppose I were an idiot. But I repeat myself..." - Mark Twain
"Life is hard. Life is harder if you're stupid." - John Wayne
"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt." - Anonymous
Old 01-27-2020, 06:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
thepepper
Gear Grinder

I have a couple of ATV's with the oldest being a 1997 Xplorer 400L 2-stroke. I've torn it down to the frame 3 times, rebuilt the engine once. It is used every fall for hunting and used all winter long for plowing. I've plowed with it since the day I bought it in '97 and it just keeps going. My other ATV is a Polaris 700 and this 400 will keep up with it no problem to sane speeds on country dirt roads.
I have done lots of maintenance over the years but that is to be expected to a machine 23 years old. I tell people its been to hell and back at least 10 times.. lol
The machine owes me absolutely nothing if it were to blow up tomorrow... great machine. :-)
Old 01-27-2020, 10:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
RINGNEKS
Diesel Apprentice

Iíve got(had) a green2000 Honda foreman 450es I bought new in September of 1999, has about thirteen thousand miles on it, sold it about a month ago just because it was full time four wheel drive and you felt it after about two weeks of hunting on it, had to put about $400 in the rear end in all those years. I have Camo 2009 rubicon to take its place with power steering that I bought new, hopefully it will last just as long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4A54CAB4-8B5A-4343-BAFE-08DF8565AB67.jpg (146.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 087DFF6F-9B9F-40D6-960C-5C51342B858A.jpg (105.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-30-2020, 01:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
biotec
High Compression

1986 Honda 350 Foreman 4x4 that has pulled discs, spreaders, seeders, trailers full of feed, not to mention all the deer it has hauled out. Everything but the battery is original including the tires and it has had nothing but 15w-50 Mobil 1 synthetic. I have not been easy on it but it has never been abused.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tolliwacker
Diesel Mythbuster

Armed Forces Club-10075 Member

I have a 1995 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 that is the go to, it is a tank and I know it will start and run.
I also have a 2002 Honda TRX500FA 4x4 that has been a awesome quad.
A 1985 ATC 200M that still runs like new.
1985 ATC 70 that I had to put a new piston and rings in, new tires, and a chain.
1978 Honda Z50 all origional, I just run to the mailbox on.
Otherwise, they all run great!
2003 Crewcab 4X4 with the EGR Valve (Blocked), Killed the Cat, and straight piped the muffler, boost and EGT Gauges, Merchant Automotive T-case pump upgrade installed, Curb Feelers, Fuzzy Dice, and Billet Grill. This truck is like a sore pecker, I just can't beat it!
Remember, it ain't broke till you can't fix it anymore!
2 Things I fear for my Guns, Rust and Politicians...I can control the Rust, I need help with the Politicians!
"The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it."
When the people fear the government it is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people it is LIBERTY!

20 Year member of Uncle Sam's Finest, USAF Retired!
US Constitution in English, Bill of Rights in English, If you do not want to speak English, feel free to return to the Craphole of a Country you left behind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in