Any Rock Crawlers?? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Other Topics > Off The Beaten Path
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Off The Beaten Path A forum dedicated to weekend trail warriors, swamp divers, mud eaters ATV's and rock crawlers.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2017, 02:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
ColoradoTJ
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Any Rock Crawlers??

I just wanted to see if there are any Rock Crawler/Jeep/Off-road enthusiasts on DP?

I do the Rock Crawling thing:

2003 Rubicon TJ. Pretty much not a Rubicon anymore...and barely a TJ

Specs:

Drivetrain- Custom Solid Industries D-60 Front axle, Ford HP 86-91.5 specs with Chevy knuckles, bearing hubs. 5.38 gears, yukon locker/axles, full hydraulic steering.
Rear AAM 14B axle out of a 05 GMC 2500, 5.38 gears/yukon locker
AW4 automatic swap.
Atlas II 4.3

Suspension- King 2.5 14" Coilovers on all 4 corners. Custom valving.

Tires/Wheels- 17x9.5" Raceline BL wheels, 40/13.50/17 MTR stickies.

There are some other goodies, but that is enough for now. Looking for like minded people. If your in the area or coming to CO, let me know. I am more than happy to host your crew. We currently have a NC crew come out every year to hit UT, CO, NM for the rocks.

https://youtu.be/WxBPvkB0eXc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2017, 06:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jaybeecon
Diesel Pro

Takes some balls to do that.

'19 Colorado CC Z71 Longbed. 2.8 DMax. Pacific Blue

Down the road now -
'07.5 2500 CC 6.6
'02 2500 Xcab 8.1/Allison
'96 2500 Xcab 5.7/5-sp
'94 2500 Xcab 5.7/5-sp
Couple of Toy trucks before that.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2017, 05:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
ColoradoTJ
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybeecon View Post
Takes some balls to do that.
Well, mostly money...and some stupidity. Roll cages, 5 point harnesses, and a real disregard for straight body panels/paint.

Two in the same week....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Jaybeecon
Diesel Pro

Gotta agree with that too. I did the ATV thing for over a decade and did my best to avoid destroying my rides. (and that was on ATV's costing in the $5K to $10K range). Vivid memories of watching my ATV bounce, spin, bounce, spin ..... over and over as it rolled downhill just turns into huge amounts of $$$$.

'19 Colorado CC Z71 Longbed. 2.8 DMax. Pacific Blue

Down the road now -
'07.5 2500 CC 6.6
'02 2500 Xcab 8.1/Allison
'96 2500 Xcab 5.7/5-sp
'94 2500 Xcab 5.7/5-sp
Couple of Toy trucks before that.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
IdahoSteve
Diesel Champ

Most likely a "lot" of winch work too!
Old 01-25-2017, 03:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cowracer
Diesel Guru

No Signature Member

Did the rock crawling thing in my 'reasonably built' Samurai for years. Lots of fun, but I gotta be honest, there is a new movement towards the full on "buggies". They call them "Rock Bouncers" and the drivers have pretty much zero common sense, common courtesy or skill, they just hold it wide open, bounce off trees, rocks and everything else, and hope for the best. They surging popularity of those things have turned me off to rock-crawling and I sold my Sammy. I just generally prefer to trail ride on my sxs now.

Tim
Galatians 4:16

Last edited by Cowracer; 01-25-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
ColoradoTJ
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNorCal View Post
Most likely a "lot" of winch work too!
If I use my winch 2 times per year, that might be pushing it..LOL. Winching is not rock crawling in my book. Rock stacking is another thing that just makes me laugh. Stack enough rocks, a Corvette can do Jeep trails.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
ColoradoTJ
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Did the rock crawling thing in my 'reasonably built' Samurai for years. Lots of fun, but I gotta be honest, there is a new movement towards the full on "buggies". They call them "Rock Bouncers" and the drivers have pretty much zero common sense, common courtesy or skill, they just hold it wide open, bounce off trees, rocks and everything else, and hope for the best. They surging popularity of those things have turned me off to rock-crawling and I sold my Sammy. I just generally prefer to trail ride on my sxs now.

Tim
I agree Tim. Lucky for me, this is more of a "east of the Mississippi" issue. We don't see the rock bouncers out this way much.

The Samurai is still one of those marvels. With a little money and parts swaps, these damn rigs were very good.

However, we do see more and more buggies than ever before. To be honest, this will be my last full body rig. Building/buying a chassis is cheaper, and by far the easies to get the geometry one needs. Big axles, big tires, LS motor and automatic of your choice...and you can have some real fun.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cowracer
Diesel Guru

No Signature Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoTJ View Post
I agree Tim. Lucky for me, this is more of a "east of the Mississippi" issue. We don't see the rock bouncers out this way much.

The Samurai is still one of those marvels. With a little money and parts swaps, these damn rigs were very good.

However, we do see more and more buggies than ever before. To be honest, this will be my last full body rig. Building/buying a chassis is cheaper, and by far the easies to get the geometry one needs. Big axles, big tires, LS motor and automatic of your choice...and you can have some real fun.
They are coming...

My biggest hang up with them was lack of consideration for other people. Yeah, your custom-built buggy on 44s is gonna go places quicker and easier than my little old Sammy on 33s. So if you gotta wait a few minutes for me to pick my line up over an obstacle, Just chill for a moment and watch what 40hp can do when properly applied. Many times, I have had run-ins with impatient hot-heads in buggies. When a local group petitioned a (now closed) local park to have 'bouncer only' days, well, that was enough for me. They are even bigger pricks than Jeep guys.

Here's a little video of our fun back in the day...

Tim
Galatians 4:16
Old 01-25-2017, 06:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
ColoradoTJ
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
They are coming...

My biggest hang up with them was lack of consideration for other people. Yeah, your custom-built buggy on 44s is gonna go places quicker and easier than my little old Sammy on 33s. So if you gotta wait a few minutes for me to pick my line up over an obstacle, Just chill for a moment and watch what 40hp can do when properly applied. Many times, I have had run-ins with impatient hot-heads in buggies. When a local group petitioned a (now closed) local park to have 'bouncer only' days, well, that was enough for me. They are even bigger pricks than Jeep guys.

Here's a little video of our fun back in the day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTUyuqQM2qs

Tim
Cool video. Looks like a lot of fun!!

The rock bouncers won't be out here, and if they do, it will be for a moment. To much technical that power and impatience don't mix. The forest service also hands out tickets to ******s like kids at the chocolate factory tour. I see them at King of the Hammers, and really the only place they do well is "back door". Everything else, not practical.

From what I have seen, they are to big for most of the trails. Look at my first post and that orange buggy is just to big for out here. He is from NC and does that high HP hill climbing crap. 40" tires is about perfect out here, in fact my next set is dropping to 39" tires. The guy in the orange buggy is on 43" tires and had the most carnage than anyone else in the group. High HP, big rigs just don't work here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in