Diesel Place banner

Rock Island

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  emilianojr 
#1 ·
Thinking of buying a Rock Island 1911 style 10mm single stack. Anyone have experience with these?

#2 ·
You might want to think twice before purchasing a Rock Island 1911 in any caliber . I had one in 45 acp and it was terrible. Failure to feed, failure to eject, Stove piping ect. Plus when it did work, it only held a 12 inch group at twenty five yards off the bench. Tried different types of rounds including 230 grain ball. Could not get the pistol to function reliably . Would I buy another one? No way in hell.

#5 · (Edited)
There isn't anything wrong with a Rock Island, I have one in chambered in 45. It is a 1911 model and the fit and finish is great. It shoots great and for the price you can't beat it. Cheaper than a Glock or H&K and will do the same job. Maybe someone had a bad one who complained about it but mine never had any issues at all. Go to the1911 forum and check it out. I haven't heard of any bad things from Rock Island.

#6 · (Edited)
I'll add to what Sarge said by saying I've never seen a true 1911 style pistol that couldn't be fixed if there was a problem. Depending on the problem, the fix might be easy or hard, but it could be fixed. But besides that, if I bought one that had that many problems, I'd let the factory fix them. They do come with a warranty. :whistle:

#9 ·
I also carry a P2000SK .40, like my H+K's but I want a 10mm. The RI has a series 70 trigger setup supposedly which would be easy to replace if needed and a bull barrel. It had some good reviews as far as accuracy from what I saw and a lifetime warranty. I didn't want to spend $1500 or more for a colt. I have access to tools to build a 1911 so I thought if the gun was basically sound for $570 that would be a good base to start with.

#10 ·
I had an Auto-Ordinance 45, much along the lines of the Rock Island in terms of price and quality. Though others dissed it, I could keep everything in the black at 25 yards. And like the Rock Island, it was a whole lot less than even a used Colt. :thumb:

If you decide to tune it, I highly recommend Jerry Kuhnhausen's book on 45's. Money well spent.

Reactions: IGO1320
#11 ·
FWIW I paid 435.00 NIB for my Rock Island. First thing I did was clean the crap out of it. It had so much grease on it you could lube a VW. For the money spent I don't consider it a bad weapon at all. I also have had to qualify many times with a 1911 so I am very familiar with them.

#12 ·
I'm looking at a 10mm, 5", single stack, fiber optic adjustable sites, and an accessories rail.

#15 · (Edited)
Philippines. At least it's not China. :HiHi:

Plus, I once had a Argentine made Colt (licensed by Colt), and it shot as well as any other standard .45.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.