Diesel Place banner

What hand gun do people like?

36K views 230 replies 104 participants last post by  Crawfish00 
#1 ·
Looking at picking one up. I know everyone has opinions of the best, but figured I would ask.

Thinking of a 1911 type.

#195 ·
Any recommendations on a stainless 1911? I am looking for something to keep on the boat and stainless is a must. I really like the 1911 I keep in the house and would lean more towards another 1911 for the boat but open to other suggestions as well.
My oldest son likes his stainless S&W 1911, my youngest is partial to his Springfield Armory stainless. I’ve fooled with a couple Kimber stainless 1911s, Springfields, and a couple Para Ordnance 45’s, all reasonably good guns. The new Para USA guns all (I think) have stainless frames (unless speced aluminum) and slides, just finished with black nitride or PVD, unless they are named “stainless” in which case they are left in-the-white, natural. I haven’t spent much time with the Para USA guns, but the old Canadian Para’s were pretty good pieces.

My opinion; for the money I think the Springfield is probably the best buy. Just because it’s stainless doesn’t mean that all of its parts are stainless, and don’t think it can’t rust. For years my EDC (in sweaty Florida) deep concealment back up was a stainless Seecamp. One day as I was shooting up the old ammo that I had been carrying in the gun, the trigger went limp and the gun no longer functioned. The pivot pin for the hammer was not stainless, had rusted completely through, and had broken in half. The stainless frame itself had red rust where it had come in contact with the pivot pin. It was a real chore getting that gun cleaned up and back in action.

#197 · (Edited)
One of the things I do when cleaning my guns, and they are all in excellent clean condition, is to soak them repeatedly with Rem Oil for cleaning and lubing and use the air compressor to blow it out after. I just blow the oil into the trash can. This way all the internals that I do not disassemble will be coated with a light film of oil, but never too much as the 60+ psi of air pressure blows that off. Been working great doing that. Lube upon reassembly as you like.

I won't go into all the other cleaning stuff of bore snakes, grease and such. Just wanted to illustrate the usefulness of the 'bath and blow' for those parts you can't get to. You'll have NO oil leaching out days later either. And yea, I pull the grips every so often. Enough to keep it all nice and clean and lubed. Same with my magazines.

#198 ·
Personally, I like Glocks as they are lightweight, reliable and carry a decent mag capacity in most calibers (depending on the size of the frame of course). Being able to throw the empty frame in the dish washer every now and then makes maintenance a walk in park too :HiHi:

For competition I mainly use STI 2011's in .40 cal. I run 180 gr Hornady XTP handloads in my match guns with great results :thumb:

When it comes to revolvers I'm a big fan of the Ruger SRH in .454 Casull, but to be honest I'm only man enough to fire a small number of full power loads at the time... :bounce:

#199 ·
Ruger GP 100 & LPC II

#200 ·
I have been looking at a Sig 320...

#201 · (Edited)
I do love my S&W 5906 carry, but damn it's heavy as it's all stainless. I wouldn't mind something lighter, but it must meet these:

* 9MM
* 15+ round mag
* Hammer, not striker fire
* Able to take a Crimson Trace laser grip
* Solid brand
* Lighter than my 5906 and not bigger overall

I'm searching....

#208 ·
X2. Plastic isn't pretty, but this is compact and just plain works. I load light powder charge (bottom of the scale) rounds for practice and they run perfectly. It requires much less cleaning than my 1911.

Out of the box my point of aim was high compared to the 1911. Changing the included backstrap fixed it. Now both guns come up the same.

Reactions: Rambos_Ride
#207 ·
Anybody else own CZ's? I use to carry a Wilson 1911 on duty and switched over to a CZ P-9. 19+1 9mm. Off duty I carry a CZ P-07 about the same size as a Glock 19. Both my CZ's are carried like a 1911........cocked and locked. No issues ever, and you can't beat the price.

#210 ·
Ordering a new CZ P-10C...........What kind of gun safes are people using? I hope people are bolting them down. Had a burglary call today......they moved a 24-28 gun size safe, weighing over 1000lb+, out of a home, where we found it in the street.......They couldn't load it into their vehicle, and they didn't break into it. They sure scratched the hell out of the American Security safe worth around $6K.

#211 ·
Excellent time to mention this...

So I inherited one of those fire / security office safes. The large ones about the size of a mini-fridge. And this was supposedly one of those commercial units (it wasn't). Anyhow, it sat for years and when I needed to get into it without the combination, 1 hit from a sledge hammer and I was in. Door collapsed in enough that all the pins popped right out and door flung open. I could not believe how easy it was.

I just wanted to post this because I used those office safes for years..... until this. They are way too easy to get into. I'll never skimp on a safe after seeing how easy that one was to get in.

Btw, I used it as a firebox in the garage for chemical soaked rags and such that could spontaneously combust. Tossed it recently.

#214 ·
So I am trying to build my 458 SOCOM, Got a heavy barrel/upper on order. Ordered a lower parts kit. Need to find my jig to do a 80% lower but I can't find a buffer spring that will handle a 458 SOCOM Round. I seriously doubt that 556 style buffer spring will work on such a big round. Any ideas or can I use a standard bufferspring?

#216 ·
Thanks for the info. I will try it and see what happens when I complete the build. I need to quit watching youtube videos...Cost too much money...:eek:

#217 ·
This round was designed to run with STANDARD rifle and CAR buffers and springs.

Hope that helps.

#218 ·
Love the Gen 4 Glock model 19... that's a viable conceal'n'carry 9mm. With the right mags, you can get close to 20 rounds in the crazy things.

#219 ·
Build is complete, Waiting for the 458 Socom ammo to arrive,

Reactions: mp06011999
#220 ·
Ammo arrived, fired 10 rounds to sight it in. There is no way anyone can survive a single center mass hit with this round...

#221 ·
:nopics:

#224 ·
Ruger EC9 and LCPII
Jim

#225 ·
Looking at another purchase in either a 40, 10mm, 45 ACP pistol. I sold all of my striker fired rugers as I just couldn't get comfortable with them plus I wasn't happy with how they performed. Any Ideas out there? I own Springfield, Rock Island, Kimber, Colt, S&W, Sig Sauer and am wondering what else that is considered a moderate price firearm.

#226 ·
I am also considering building a 50 beowulf, any thoughts if this would be a worth while build?

#229 ·
I just built a 458 SOCOM and out to about 250 yards it is the shiznitz!

I don't have a need to go past that anymore I like it better than the 50 Beowulf based on shooting next to one for half a day.:2cents:

I also vote for the 40 XDM as a carry mine serves well (size x quality x capacity x concealability) = :D:D

#228 ·
H&K 745001LEA5 is what I am going to order
Integral MIL STD 1913 (Picatinny) rail molded into the polymer frame dust cover for mounting lights, laser aimers, and other accessories
Ergonomic grip profiles with user replaceable grip panels to adjust the feel and grip circumference of the weapon to suit individual operator hand size and shooting preference
HK45 grip-to-slide angle matches Model 1911’s profile
Ambidextrous controls with dual slide releases and enlarged magazine release
Uses the proven modified Browning linkless recoil operating system
O-ring barrel for precise barrel-to-slide lockup
Polygonal rifling for longer barrel life and better accuracy
Improved ergonomic control levers (safety and/or decocking)
Low profile drift adjustable 3-dot sights
Contoured and radiused slide with forward slide (grasping) grooves and anti-glare longitudinal ribs

#230 ·
I'm on the Glock bandwagon. Have owned .380, 9mm, 10mm and .45 caliber Glocks. The best thing about Glock is they all point and shoot the same. If you can shoot one well, you can shoot them all well. It may take some getting used to the grip angle, but once you do, it's fantastic. Current favorite is the 19X, flat shooting, good looking and 19 round mags...

Reactions: Randy_the_Hack
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.