Cold patch - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Other Topics > The Home & Property Place
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

The Home & Property Place Need help figuring out how to hook up a water heater, install a garage door, set a fireplace? Ask in here...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2020, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Randy_the_Hack
Administrator
Mister, your truck's smoking...

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Cold patch

Have you guys ever worked with cold patch - the blacktop-in-a-bag? I'm wondering how long it takes to set? Any clue?

'04.5 Silverado 2500 HD LLY/Suncoast Allison Dark Spiral Gray Metallic, EC/LB LT 4x4, leather, Nerf bars, Edge Racing Evolution CTS, AC Delco stock filter w/TxC CAI, ProFab Performance intake tube, LBZ Kodiak turbo mouthpiece (see Rick's flow bench test results here), Diamond Eye Turbo Downpipe, EGR blocked (fingerless), PCV rerouted, Silverline 4" 409SS, All Headlights mod , HIR lows and highs w/SilverStar fogs, OnStar, Du-Ha USS, ARMA spray liner, DrawTite Activator II, VentShades, Lund Genesis Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover, Pop-n-Lock tailgate lock, Bilstein 5100's, Merchant Automotive tie rod sleeves, Fleece Performance TapShifter, Michelin LTX M/S2 245/75 R16

"Suppose I were a congressman. And suppose I were an idiot. But I repeat myself..." - Mark Twain
"Life is hard. Life is harder if you're stupid." - John Wayne
"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt." - Anonymous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2020, 12:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

It works alright. What are you trying to fix? Pot holes?

Where I use it is potholes. I set the stuff out in the sun for at least a few hours to get it good and hot before I try to use it. I think that is one reason the bags are usually black, soak up the sun. If its below about 70*F forget it. If the ambient temp is 80 or higher and you get a few hours in the sun you should be good.

The place I use it is mostly gravel and can get a few hundred cars a day. I sweep out as much dust or loose gravel as I can. If there are big chunks and the hole is deep enough sometimes I leave the chunks in.

I then pour it in trying to estimate how much will leave it slightly overfilled which can be tricky because what seems to work best for me is to leave it in a mound to kinda spread out on its own which is where the making sure its good and warm is the key. I give it about 1/2 hour to kinda settle on its own then go after it with a garden hoe to spread it out then hit it with an about 8" square tamper. Thats about it. You can drive on it right away. Not sure if the helps me that there is gravel 6' away so the dust gets on it fairly quick so its not sticky on top. By the next day I sometimes can't tell what were the recent patches.

15 VW Golf wagon, TDI. Did the buyback on my 13 Jetta TDI wagon so it was basically a trade up.
96 Burb K25 3.42's SOLD at 340K miles, told it was all original, close race between engine wearing out or body completely rust out.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2020, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Randy_the_Hack
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57diesel View Post
It works alright. What are you trying to fix? Pot holes?

Where I use it is potholes. I set the stuff out in the sun for at least a few hours to get it good and hot before I try to use it. I think that is one reason the bags are usually black, soak up the sun. If its below about 70*F forget it. If the ambient temp is 80 or higher and you get a few hours in the sun you should be good.

The place I use it is mostly gravel and can get a few hundred cars a day. I sweep out as much dust or loose gravel as I can. If there are big chunks and the hole is deep enough sometimes I leave the chunks in.

I then pour it in trying to estimate how much will leave it slightly overfilled which can be tricky because what seems to work best for me is to leave it in a mound to kinda spread out on its own which is where the making sure its good and warm is the key. I give it about 1/2 hour to kinda settle on its own then go after it with a garden hoe to spread it out then hit it with an about 8" square tamper. Thats about it. You can drive on it right away. Not sure if the helps me that there is gravel 6' away so the dust gets on it fairly quick so its not sticky on top. By the next day I sometimes can't tell what were the recent patches.
If you look elsewhere in the forum, I recently had my garage floor leveled by one of the concrete hydraulic lifting guys come over and put a truckload and a half of concrete slurry in to fill voids caused by years of water erosion due to some holes in my asphalt driveway leading directly under my garage floor. To get me to the spring when I can have the driveway repaved and have the water runoff sloped away from the garage, I have put 3 bags of cold patch in place to slope the water away and to fill holes leading to the underneath of my garage floor. I was forced to put bag #3 down just 2 days ago... and it was most certainly not 80 degrees outside.

I believe the brand name of the cold patch I've been buying is QPR from Lowes... and the bag claims you can put it down in cold weather... all the way to 20 degrees F or lower (can't remember the exact details). I bought a long-handled heavy tamper I've used to pack/crush the stuff once it's down. It's in a hermetically-sealed foil bag, and when it first comes out it's as pliable as sand. Once it's packed down, it seems to set up pretty fast, but in all 61+ years of my life, this past 3 months mark my very first direct experience with anything pertaining to asphalt; other than paying someone to seal my drive a few years ago, I'm like Sgt. Schultz - "I know nothing, nothing!"

The stuff I'm using sounds nothing like the stuff you're describing above. Not like that's a bad thing, just maybe a thing...

'04.5 Silverado 2500 HD LLY/Suncoast Allison Dark Spiral Gray Metallic, EC/LB LT 4x4, leather, Nerf bars, Edge Racing Evolution CTS, AC Delco stock filter w/TxC CAI, ProFab Performance intake tube, LBZ Kodiak turbo mouthpiece (see Rick's flow bench test results here), Diamond Eye Turbo Downpipe, EGR blocked (fingerless), PCV rerouted, Silverline 4" 409SS, All Headlights mod , HIR lows and highs w/SilverStar fogs, OnStar, Du-Ha USS, ARMA spray liner, DrawTite Activator II, VentShades, Lund Genesis Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover, Pop-n-Lock tailgate lock, Bilstein 5100's, Merchant Automotive tie rod sleeves, Fleece Performance TapShifter, Michelin LTX M/S2 245/75 R16

"Suppose I were a congressman. And suppose I were an idiot. But I repeat myself..." - Mark Twain
"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt." - Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2020, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

I'm not sure if its the same stuff or not. Sounds like not but you have me curious now, maybe later I will have to do some reading and see what the differences are. I usually use the Quikrete brand stuff from home depot but I see they also have a product that comes in a pail that has a similar description. The place I use it is a summer business so having to use it or something similar in cooler temps has never been a concern.

It does seem like the bag could be sealed so maybe there is some sort of air reaction thing going on but its apparently got to be spread out to harden. I have had bags tear open during transport or storage that I have not used right away and they don't seem to harden in the bag. Even in a sealed bag you get to about 40*F and its hard as a rock. I have a few bags that I didn't use in the fall that were sitting in the truck bed since late summer. They have been sitting in the garage since mid October and still have the ribs in them from the bed of the truck. I'm sure once it warms up they will be soft again.
15 VW Golf wagon, TDI. Did the buyback on my 13 Jetta TDI wagon so it was basically a trade up.
96 Burb K25 3.42's SOLD at 340K miles, told it was all original, close race between engine wearing out or body completely rust out.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Randy_the_Hack
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57diesel View Post
I'm not sure if its the same stuff or not. Sounds like not but you have me curious now, maybe later I will have to do some reading and see what the differences are. I usually use the Quikrete brand stuff from home depot but I see they also have a product that comes in a pail that has a similar description. The place I use it is a summer business so having to use it or something similar in cooler temps has never been a concern.

It does seem like the bag could be sealed so maybe there is some sort of air reaction thing going on but its apparently got to be spread out to harden. I have had bags tear open during transport or storage that I have not used right away and they don't seem to harden in the bag. Even in a sealed bag you get to about 40*F and its hard as a rock. I have a few bags that I didn't use in the fall that were sitting in the truck bed since late summer. They have been sitting in the garage since mid October and still have the ribs in them from the bed of the truck. I'm sure once it warms up they will be soft again.
It's definitely different stuff... QPR can be used to -5 degrees F and up to 105 degrees F. Here's a link to the stuff I've used: https://www.lowes.com/pd/QPR-50-lb-A...-Patch/3656652

If I had read the specs, it states the cure time is 334 hours, which is just shy of 14 days... though it states you can put this stuff right into a water-filled pot hole... so cure time may be a bit subjective. Oh well...

Last edited by Randy_the_Hack; 02-06-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
lmm2tow
Diesel Newbie

When I used it after tamping I laid a sheet of plywood over and drove on it to compact it better. Held up for several years before having my drive repaved.
Old Today, 12:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

Interesting idea with the plywood, were you using the stuff with the narrow workable temp range like me or the wide range stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in