Printer for home. Ink or laser? Brand? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Other Topics > The Home & Property Place
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

The Home & Property Place Need help figuring out how to hook up a water heater, install a garage door, set a fireplace? Ask in here...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2019, 10:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Printer for home. Ink or laser? Brand?

The HP all in one B&W laser I bought maybe 4 years ago isn't happy and I'm not sure what to do about it. I don't need a printer very often but when I need one its really nice to have it.

This one which I think was middle of the road HP at the time maybe $300 nothing real special and maybe has done only a couple hundred prints and now refuses to believe that its got a new genuine cartridge in it so most of the time it won't print anything. Spent some time on google and tried a few things but so far no luck making it happy.

I don't care ink or laser and I don't really need color. I don't think an ink would be good because we can go months without using it and I remember ink machines not liking that much. At least with HP's you got a new head with the cart so you were back in biz you just had to pay. With other brands back in the day if the head dried up you were pretty much screwed and bought a new printer so you still paid.

Thoughts? I'm not afraid to spend money but don't want to spend a lot and end up in the same boat again in a couple years. Also hear bad things about many printers now where they have to be online to work and you have to get ink delivery service and other crap I don't want to deal with. I already got enough machines spying on me, don't need to add a printer to that list.

15 VW Golf wagon, TDI. Did the buyback on my 13 Jetta TDI wagon so it was basically a trade up.
96 Burb K25 3.42's SOLD at 340K miles, told it was all original, close race between engine wearing out or body completely rust out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2019, 10:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

I don't think they build the lower-end ones to last for a long time.

I would suggest just buying one of the cheap $100 or so laser printers.

I've got a Brother HL2010, maybe 10-15 years old, and replaced the toner cartridge once, and the last year or so has had problems picking up paper from the tray (it still prints fine if I manual feed in paper or open/close the paper tray and hit the button on it for every page).

I also had a Samsung MFP (print/fax/scan/copy) laser, that's about 8 years old, cost about $350cdn, that also worked fine but had the same problem with picking up paper from the tray, and I replaced it with a Canon MF267 laser MFP this summer.

They don't see a lot of use, maybe 20-30 pages or so a month between both of them. I did try cleaning the pickup rollers on the printers, but that didn't work for me, and I looked online for replacement ones, but couldn't find any.

Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2019, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

I print/scan from time to time.
The Previous older HP I had the software locked up and it wouldn't connect to the PC.
The current HP printer I have connects to the internet and updates itself via the internet but does not bother me with ordering Ink when I get low.

I usually just go find what ever special Wally World has when I need a printer
1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube Winter Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
lavarock
Diesel Head

I am a snowbird so spend about 6 months in the north and 6 months in the south.

I have a printer that I leave at both locations.

I have found the ink jets do not work as they dry up and are not usable after sitting idle for 6 months.

I have a cheap Samsung Laser at one location and a higher quality HP Laser at the other location. Both Laser printers have worked flawlessly for over 5 years at both locations.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

I'm starting to think I maybe want something that can do 11x17. If I'm going to print I might as well print something I can see. Going big in a laser is really expensive so that puts me back at ink. I'm getting real mixed info on which ones are prone to drying up and what the options are if it does dry up.

In the old days with HP the print head was in the cartridge so if it did dry up you just replaced the cart and you were running again. Now it looks like even HP has gone to a think where the ink is in a tank. Is that better or worse for drying up?
15 VW Golf wagon, TDI. Did the buyback on my 13 Jetta TDI wagon so it was basically a trade up.
96 Burb K25 3.42's SOLD at 340K miles, told it was all original, close race between engine wearing out or body completely rust out.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Don't even think Epson...
If one color cartridge is empty, it wont print black & white.
If you pull a cartridge to check ink level, the cartridge will NEVER work again.
I enjoy smashing that POS with a sledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2019, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

One empty killing the whole thing is just dumb. That has to be intentional.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

Without a doubt, laser jet with the powder containing drum(s). And never HP ever again. They took way too much of my money for so few results.

I got so tired of HP ink jets not working because the ink either dried up or ran out and costs a fortune. I purchased a Brother laser jet about 3 years ago ($125 for B&W, add another $25 to $50 if you want color, iirc) and have not had one single issue nor needed to replace the original drum. If that were one of the many ink jets of my past, it already would have stopped printing and / or communicating with my Apple products and be needing a new PRICEY ink cartridge(s). Yep, even the ultra office model I got one time for like $400. What a joke. Same issues as all the other inkjets.

If you don't print often >>>>> Go Brother laser and you'll never go back. No more outrages ink prices ($55 for the drum that I have yet to need) and no more drying up from low use.

I also hear the Brother Laser Jets are good for heavy printing, but I couldn't tell ya. I print maybe 3 pages every few months.

Edit: Looked it up. Purchased March 2017 for $123 on Amazon
Brother DCPL2520DW

Obama Spied, FBI Lied But Trump Impeached

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... welfare for illegals... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Last edited by mp06011999; 12-31-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

We have had a couple brothers at work and for the money have seemed to hold up pretty well. I should probably just go do it. I just hate to throw away the one I have now but since the printer doesn't work and that is the most used part of it I guess I don't have a lot of options.... its just the way it is now, throw it away.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57diesel View Post
We have had a couple brothers at work and for the money have seemed to hold up pretty well. I should probably just go do it. I just hate to throw away the one I have now but since the printer doesn't work and that is the most used part of it I guess I don't have a lot of options.... its just the way it is now, throw it away.
About a decade ago..... Some budget shopper in the office of the company I worked for bought like 20 Lexmark inkjet printers for really cheap. But when they tried to use the printers they either would not communicate well or the included ink ran out right-away and required more money for replacement ink - costing more than the printers actually cost. So I talked the owner into eating the mistake and donating the rest of the unopened (nearly 20) new printers for the tax benefit.

Point of that story and many others I could tell is sometimes you just have to cut your losses and move on to bigger and better. Think of it like a mate you don't get along with. Sure, the prospects of being alone may be worse, but as long as you're committed to the one that doesn't work, you'll never find one that does.

Obama Spied, FBI Lied But Trump Impeached

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... welfare for illegals... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in