Printer for home. Ink or laser? Brand? - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Other Topics > The Home & Property Place
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

The Home & Property Place Need help figuring out how to hook up a water heater, install a garage door, set a fireplace? Ask in here...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2020, 11:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Randy_the_Hack
Administrator
Mister, your truck's smoking...

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Lifetime Premium-7 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post
About a decade ago..... Some budget shopper in the office of the company I worked for bought like 20 Lexmark inkjet printers for really cheap. But when they tried to use the printers they either would not communicate well or the included ink ran out right-away and required more money for replacement ink - costing more than the printers actually cost. So I talked the owner into eating the mistake and donating the rest of the unopened (nearly 20) new printers for the tax benefit.

Point of that story and many others I could tell is sometimes you just have to cut your losses and move on to bigger and better. Think of it like a mate you don't get along with. Sure, the prospects of being alone may be worse, but as long as you're committed to the one that doesn't work, you'll never find one that does.
So... I should preface my comments by saying I spent 26 years working for IBM/Lexmark, and I spent close to 6 years working as the team lead/manager of a 35-ish member team of 3rd level technical support for all Lexmark consumer products. With that said... you made a good call donating the Lexmark inkjets. I still have one of the highest-end inkjet MFP's, and I struggle to get it to work reliably... and I was on the team that developed and brought it to market and supported it throughout its product life.

With that said, I also have a 10-year-old Lexmark laser MFP that's the best of the best - they stopped making them forever ago, but even when I thought it was next to dead, a new toner cartridge brought it back to life for $45 on fleabay. I have a Lexmark 646e, along with all the bells and whistles - duplexer, network card, 4 extra trays, and a custom Lexmark printer stand to boot. It's a toner/drum/fuser style laser printer, and it's flat-out reliable, prints around 20-50 ppm (to be honest, I don't remember, and how I use it, I really don't care). It weighs a freaking ton, scans, copies, faxes, you name it. The only thing is it's monochrome, though it does a fantastic job of gray-scaling. Since I worked on this baby during my latter years in business products, I have some skin in the game... but I'd buy another in a heartbeat. It's the Ford F150/Timex/Soyuz/workhorse of the printer world... it just flat out works.

This toner/drum/fuser technology is what you need - screw inkjets. Good luck!

'04.5 Silverado 2500 HD LLY/Suncoast Allison Dark Spiral Gray Metallic, EC/LB LT 4x4, leather, Nerf bars, Edge Racing Evolution CTS, AC Delco stock filter w/TxC CAI, ProFab Performance intake tube, LBZ Kodiak turbo mouthpiece (see Rick's flow bench test results here), Diamond Eye Turbo Downpipe, EGR blocked (fingerless), PCV rerouted, Silverline 4" 409SS, All Headlights mod , HIR lows and highs w/SilverStar fogs, OnStar, Du-Ha USS, ARMA spray liner, DrawTite Activator II, VentShades, Lund Genesis Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover, Pop-n-Lock tailgate lock, Bilstein 5100's, Merchant Automotive tie rod sleeves, Fleece Performance TapShifter, Michelin LTX M/S2 245/75 R16

"Suppose I were a congressman. And suppose I were an idiot. But I repeat myself..." - Mark Twain
"Life is hard. Life is harder if you're stupid." - John Wayne
"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt." - Anonymous

Last edited by Randy_the_Hack; 01-02-2020 at 11:37 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2020, 11:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I guess the quandary of throwing away a good scanner and fax machine are solved. Went to scan something a minute ago and was kinda excited that the little window just said Hewlett Packard, not the usual replace toner its been saying practically since we bought it. Now that is all it does. Power cycle it blinks and stuff flashes looking promising and the HP comes up but apparently thats all it does. No buttons do anything and all the software says check network connection. Pile o crap.

15 VW Golf wagon, TDI. Did the buyback on my 13 Jetta TDI wagon so it was basically a trade up.
96 Burb K25 3.42's SOLD at 340K miles, told it was all original, close race between engine wearing out or body completely rust out.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Jaycocamprs
Diesel Fanatic

Brother MFC-7840DW Had for several years Monotone, Duplex, Wired network, USB.
Brother MFC-9130CW About 2 years old. Color, Wireless network, USB. Main complaint is that it not duplex. Neither hold a full pack of paper.
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2020, 11:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

I'm kinda leaning to the $150-$175 range all in one large format ink jet, possibly epson. I don't use it that much so ink cost should not really be a factor and if it dries up oh well disposable society....
15 VW Golf wagon, TDI. Did the buyback on my 13 Jetta TDI wagon so it was basically a trade up.
96 Burb K25 3.42's SOLD at 340K miles, told it was all original, close race between engine wearing out or body completely rust out.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57diesel View Post
I'm kinda leaning to the $150-$175 range all in one large format ink jet, possibly epson. I don't use it that much so ink cost should not really be a factor and if it dries up oh well disposable society....
Not to beat the horse, but know that I hardly print at all and that was why the toner powder drum and not the wet ink cartridges that dry up from non-use and quit working was the cat's meow for me.

Almost 3 years old.... My original-came-with-it toner level is showing over 3/4 full and it still works. Inkjet woulda done stopped working by now. I figured it would be cheaper to goto Kinkos and print than it would be to buy new ink cartridges every year or so from non-use drying up. Then I read about laser jet toner drum printers where the ink is never wet and thus can't dry up and all is good for the first time ever in my printing world

I don't want to brag... but this is like the 5th "End of the World" I've survived.

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... welfare for illegals... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Last edited by mp06011999; 01-15-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Randy_the_Hack
Administrator
Mister, your truck's smoking...

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Lifetime Premium-7 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post
Not to beat the horse, but know that I hardly print at all and that was why the toner powder drum and not the wet ink cartridges that dry up from non-use and quit working was the cat's meow for me.

Almost 3 years old.... My original-came-with-it toner level is showing over 3/4 full and it still works. Inkjet woulda done stopped working by now. I figured it would be cheaper to goto Kinkos and print than it would be to buy new ink cartridges every year or so from non-use drying up. Then I read about laser jet toner drum printers where the ink is never wet and thus can't dry up and all is good for the first time ever in my printing world

Here's a few cents more... long post because I'm excited.

I have a 2011 Lexmark Platinum Pro 905 All-In-One inkjet. None of the ink cartridges are original, but the last time I printed anything with this is maybe 3 years ago. I fired it up the other day - nearly nothing printed. I replaced cartridges with old replacement cartridges I bought - they were brand new, sealed, and I bought them at Habitat Restore - and about half the cartridges wouldn't print either (freshness date was in 2016). I finally pulled out some original new Lexmark cartridges (I think I bought them in 2014, but still sealed), installed them, and after cleaning the nozzles at least a dozen times, it finally was printing completely. Now the cartridges are about 30% drained, but it works.

Last week I bought a gently used mid-2000's Lexmark laser/toner all-in-one. It had a toner cartridge in it with only 5% used, but the toner cartridge was clearly leaking toner everywhere, resulting in nearly unreadable output. I paid $75 for the printer with the caveat that if it wasn't a toner cartridge problem, I'd be able to return it. I have the exact same printer at home. When I got the "new" printer home, I swapped cartridges and everything went to perfect print quality within 20 pages of print.

A quick look on eBay and I found a brand new genuine Lexmark toner cartridge for the new printer for $38+S&H... so "Buy It Now" and it's on the way. That cartridge is good for 10k - 15k pages. I then called Lexmark and asked if the bad toner cartridge is warranted, since it only has 5% of the toner used; turns out it was. Lexmark is now sending me a brand new replacement cartridge... good for another 10k - 15k pages. I finally asked if the printer was still in service; this printer went out of warranty mid-2007.

I now have a printer capable of printing between 30 - 40 pages per minute, can fax, scan, connect to a network or connect to any PC via USB, and I have enough toner to last me *YEARS*... for about $115. Oh, BTW, there are businesses who will pay you for old/bad cartridges; Lexmark doesn't want this one back, and it looks like they'll give me $25 - $40 for the old leaking toner cartridge.

TONER IS BETTER THAN INK... any day of the week and twice on the weekend. It lasts a long time and you don't have to worry about stuff drying out. You don't have to buy new; buy a good, reliable used laser printer. Unless you are creating school projects or photos, you don't really need color. 98% or more of home printing these days are totally suitable with mono printers.

If you don't know which toner-based printers to buy, look in doctor's offices, look in clerk's offices, look in libraries - they don't tolerate cheap crap. They need and buy printers that are reliable workhorses. I found the above printer on eBay; it was advertised as "local pickup only"... the thing weighs 85 lbs; nobody in their right mind would ship that. Good luck!

'04.5 Silverado 2500 HD LLY/Suncoast Allison Dark Spiral Gray Metallic, EC/LB LT 4x4, leather, Nerf bars, Edge Racing Evolution CTS, AC Delco stock filter w/TxC CAI, ProFab Performance intake tube, LBZ Kodiak turbo mouthpiece (see Rick's flow bench test results here), Diamond Eye Turbo Downpipe, EGR blocked (fingerless), PCV rerouted, Silverline 4" 409SS, All Headlights mod , HIR lows and highs w/SilverStar fogs, OnStar, Du-Ha USS, ARMA spray liner, DrawTite Activator II, VentShades, Lund Genesis Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover, Pop-n-Lock tailgate lock, Bilstein 5100's, Merchant Automotive tie rod sleeves, Fleece Performance TapShifter, Michelin LTX M/S2 245/75 R16

"Suppose I were a congressman. And suppose I were an idiot. But I repeat myself..." - Mark Twain
"Life is hard. Life is harder if you're stupid." - John Wayne
"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt." - Anonymous

Last edited by Randy_the_Hack; 01-23-2020 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_the_Hack View Post
Here's a few cents more... long post because I'm excited.

I have a 2011 Lexmark Platinum Pro 905 All-In-One inkjet. None of the ink cartridges are original, but the last time I printed anything with this is maybe 3 years ago. I fired it up the other day - nearly nothing printed. I replaced cartridges with old replacement cartridges I bought - they were brand new, sealed, and I bought them at Habitat Restore - and about half the cartridges wouldn't print either (freshness date was in 2016). I finally pulled out some original new Lexmark cartridges (I think I bought them in 2014, but still sealed), installed them, and after cleaning the nozzles at least a dozen times, it finally was printing completely. Now the cartridges are about 30% drained, but it works.

Last week I bought a gently used mid-2000's Lexmark laser/toner all-in-one. It had a toner cartridge in it with only 5% used, but the toner cartridge was clearly leaking toner everywhere, resulting in nearly unreadable output. I paid $75 for the printer with the caveat that if it wasn't a toner cartridge problem, I'd be able to return it. I have the exact same printer at home. When I got the "new" printer home, I swapped cartridges and everything went to perfect print quality within 20 pages of print.

A quick look on eBay and I found a brand new genuine Lexmark toner cartridge for the new printer for $38+S&H... so "Buy It Now" and it's on the way. That cartridge is good for 10k - 15k pages. I then called Lexmark and asked if the bad toner cartridge is warranted, since it only has 5% of the toner used; turns out it was. Lexmark is now sending me a brand new replacement cartridge... good for another 10k - 15k pages. I finally asked if the printer was still in service; this printer went out of warranty mid-2007.

I now have a printer capable of printing between 30 - 40 pages per minute, can fax, scan, connect to a network or connect to any PC via USB, and I have enough toner to last me *YEARS*... for about $115. Oh, BTW, there are businesses who will pay you for old/bad cartridges; Lexmark doesn't want this one back, and it looks like they'll give me $25 - $40 for the old leaking toner cartridge.

TONER IS BETTER THAN INK... any day of the week and twice on the weekend. It lasts a long time and you don't have to worry about stuff drying out. You don't have to buy new; buy a good, reliable used laser printer. Unless you are creating school projects or photos, you don't really need color. 98% or more of home printing these days are totally suitable with mono printers.

If you don't know which toner-based printers to buy, look in doctor's offices, look in clerk's offices, look in libraries - they don't tolerate cheap crap. They need and buy printers that are reliable workhorses. I found the above printer on eBay; it was advertised as "local pickup only"... the thing weighs 85 lbs; nobody in their right mind would ship that. Good luck!
Nice job

And now I feel I have to post this in the interest of full disclosure....

The other day I went to print to my wifi connected Laser Brother DCP-L2520DW printer / scanner and guess what? It said not connected. In deep sleep, but not connected. Being pretty much computer stupid as I am and never having had that happen in the 3 years of ownership I thought oh, great and after I just talked it up on here. So I start searching Brother's website for troubleshooting and they said I needed to first make sure the software was up to date. I clicked download and saw it was gonna take forever. Not wanting to wait and remembering old school "jiggle the handle" logic I said lemme try something....

I turned off the printer and turned it back on again. All is good again. Connected and Printed my one page perfectly. And now, I can call myself a Laser printer repairman.

I don't want to brag... but this is like the 5th "End of the World" I've survived.

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... welfare for illegals... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Last edited by mp06011999; 01-23-2020 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
Highfalutin
Sparkplug Hunter

Just buy printers with HP brand, they are known for their reliability, try checking out HP OfficeJet 200.
Are you on a bathroom renovation and don't know which brand to check? Try the Woodbridge https://bestflushingtoilets.org/wood...oilet-reviews/ as it offers unique, luxurious, durable, and water-efficient toilets. Your bathroom should have a toilet like this.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Jimc295
Low Boost

Armed Forces Club-10075 Member

I have owned mostly HP printers and they have been good except in the last 5-8 years they have gotten real finicky on the ink. I finally had it and did my research and purchased an EPson 7100. It sips ink and when you replace the ink you can use remanufactured cartridges with out an issue. Works good for me and a bonus it prints exceptional photos for me. 1 caveat I am not a printer connoisseur, just needed something to print black and white for my part time job the photo prining was a bonus.
GO DAWGS
Old 03-10-2020, 10:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

I ended up with a Epson workforce 7210? I think. Inkjet that does 11x17 and was like $130ish. I was going for a different model but it was out of stock and the sales guy said this one was just slightly slower and didn't have the sheet feed scanner.

Turns out it didn't have a scanner at all but I didn't notice till I got it out of the box. Also turns out that the HP decided to work again so I'm fine. Just before I ripped the HP out I hit the power to see what it did one last time and it just turned on and worked normally. Normal meaning its complaining about low toner with an almost new cart.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in