Info: Solar power for the home - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Other Topics > The Home & Property Place
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

The Home & Property Place Need help figuring out how to hook up a water heater, install a garage door, set a fireplace? Ask in here...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2019, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Babin Farms
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Illinois Diesel Power (IDP) Member

Solar power for the home

Been a while since https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/4-...-new-home.html so here's something new...
Decided to have a solar company come over and give us some info on solar. Was pretty impressed with what they came up with and it didn't take much time, they were prepared. Before they even come look at the property they asked for the past 12 months electric bills so they could see an average of what is used throughout the year, and then they looked at an aerial map to figure out the best place to put panels. When they arrived they showed us everything on a laptop and figured 28 panels on the shop to supply us with our average usage. No batteries, the power made and not used is "banked" through the grid until we need more than we are making at the time. For the $$ that we would be paying the power company monthly we will be paying the solar loan off. Ended up deciding to go ahead with the project and work starts Thursday.

Anyone else have any experience with solar panels for the home?

SOLD 2008 6.7 3500 CCLBSW 4X4 G56 w/South Bend Clutch

SOLD 2001 Chevy K2500HD Ex-cab LB7
255/85/16 BFG MT
8' Western plow w/wings
Chrome DMI
Truxedo Bed Cover
Rebuilt filter head
230,000 miles
New injectors and HG @ 85,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2019, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
diesail
Diesel Ninja

My BIL has them on his house and loves them. Curious, how many years is your note for them? I have looked many times before but I don't feel that I will be in my current house long enough pay for them. And we have a fairly large lot for our neighborhood with a fairly small house, so when we sell it will likely have a large renovation done on it or could even be torn down to put in a bigger house. For this reason I fear they would not add much to the resale value.

2008 Chevy Crew Cab LT2 2500HD
Summit White

1800W Xantrex Prosine Inverter & third battery
Lovin my Michelin LTX M/S2 tires
RAP (Retained Accesory Power) How-To
RetroSolutions Super Bright Reverse Bulbs
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2019, 04:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Babin Farms
Diesel Head

We went out 12yrs but you can go out however long you want depending on how much you can afford per month$$$. Resale value I would think should be a plus with solar, everyone's looking to go green i guess?? Your bill with the electric company is always going to go up, so if you can put solar on and make the payment that would originally be going to elec. co. and put towards the solar, why not?? Even at 12 years, loan payment stays the same for that 12 years, cant say that for your average electric bill.

255/85/16 BFG MT
8' Western plow w/wings
Chrome DMI
Truxedo Bed Cover
Rebuilt filter head
230,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2019, 04:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
diesail
Diesel Ninja

Sounds like the price has come down a lot since I last look if you are expecting a break even with your electric bill and pay off in 12 years. Might be time to look again, even though I have no plans to be in this house that long.

2008 Chevy Crew Cab LT2 2500HD
Summit White

1800W Xantrex Prosine Inverter & third battery
Lovin my Michelin LTX M/S2 tires
RAP (Retained Accesory Power) How-To
RetroSolutions Super Bright Reverse Bulbs
Old 08-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Babin Farms
Diesel Head

At our average usage and hoping that we don't use extra power, the #s are saying 8 years it will have paid for itself without power company annual increases. So probably even quicker that 8yrs.

255/85/16 BFG MT
8' Western plow w/wings
Chrome DMI
Truxedo Bed Cover
Rebuilt filter head
230,000 miles
Old 08-21-2019, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rusty Scupper
Diesel Starter

Interesting. What is the life expectancy of the panels? What about insuring the panels for weather related damage? I have heard that some insurance companies do not insure the panels, not sure if that is true. (curious how hail would have an impact on the panel. ie: similar to a car window or more damage would occur). Thanks
Old 08-21-2019, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

2 things keep us from doing solar:
1) We are misers and don't use enough to justify it. The cost of the panels is the same regardless if you use a lot or a little electricity. I'll still have electric service I have to pay for too. When the percentage of use is less, so too is the percentage of savings.
2) Can't trust the roof. Workmanship sucks here (I've been in construction over 45 years). I fully expect roof repairs even though I have a 2006 home with supposed 50 year concrete tiles -hahahahahaha

Other than that.... An issue I have seen is birds love to nest under them so people add chicken wire. Prolly easier to do with the install than after.

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... welfare for illegals... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Last edited by mp06011999; 08-21-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2019, 12:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Babin Farms
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Scupper View Post
Interesting. What is the life expectancy of the panels? What about insuring the panels for weather related damage? I have heard that some insurance companies do not insure the panels, not sure if that is true. (curious how hail would have an impact on the panel. ie: similar to a car window or more damage would occur). Thanks
1. There is a 25 year warranty on the system so i'm hoping that the lifespan is more than that.
2. Homeowners insurance is going up about $50/yr to cover system.
3.IIRC panels are rated for 2' hail and 150mph winds. I'll have to double check ..

255/85/16 BFG MT
8' Western plow w/wings
Chrome DMI
Truxedo Bed Cover
Rebuilt filter head
230,000 miles
Old 08-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

Would you possibly have the land that you can install the panels on rather than the roof? Just eliminates any issues with messing with the roof. Or perhaps an out building.

Maybe some day they will just be roofing with solar shingles. Hm...

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... welfare for illegals... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2019, 01:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Babin Farms
Diesel Head

Its actually going to help the roof last longer due to not being impacted by the weather. I thought about the ground but where they recommended them, I buried a foundation from an old barn and didn't want to deal with mowing around them either. Keep them on the roof and then hopefully I don't have to worry about anything until I have to replace the roof.

255/85/16 BFG MT
8' Western plow w/wings
Chrome DMI
Truxedo Bed Cover
Rebuilt filter head
230,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in