Snow blow vs. plow ? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Other Topics > The Home & Property Place
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

The Home & Property Place Need help figuring out how to hook up a water heater, install a garage door, set a fireplace? Ask in here...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2018, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Snow blow vs. plow ?

My current house that I plan to say at for the foreseeable future has what I would call a normal driveway in front of the 2 car garage. You could easily fit 4 cars in it, maybe more if you really squeeze. This part isn't easy to plow just because of angles and space but isn't bad to blow with my 24" 2 stage.

Where it gets more complicated is I have about 150' down a hill about 10' wide leading to the main road. It crosses the end of my 'regular' driveway. Previous owner hired a guy to plow. My first two winters I plowed it myself but it hardly seemed worth the hassle especially with the limited snowfalls we had. This year I hired the guy that did it for the last owner to just do that main road part. Rate was $50 per time or $200 per month for the typical 4 month season so $800 per year.

I was thinking $800 goes a long way toward a bigger maybe 36"? blower that would be able to handle more snow faster than my 24".

Today I was out there for maybe 2 hours to deal with 4" not counting the time it took to fix the blower after finding one of the aluminum pole reflectors the plow guy knocked down. With a bigger blower I don't think I would be out any longer. As it is I have to run the blower up to the street to clean up after the city does the street and sidewalk so I usually do an edge pass on the way up and back just to get a little more width.

I don't think a quad atv sort of thing would be a good option since I have no other use for one. I don't have much lawn to cut so I don't have a garden tractor. I do have a little skid steer but its helpless without chains which I think would be hard on my new blacktop plus I would have to likely make a plow sort of attachment for it.

Thoughts?

15 VW Golf wagon, TDI. Did the buyback on my 13 Jetta TDI wagon so it was basically a trade up.
96 Burb K25 3.42's SOLD at 340K miles, told it was all original, close race between engine wearing out or body completely rust out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2018, 10:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Take the money you would use to pay plow guy and find a 6.2L or 6.5L and Frankenstein that blower..

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2018, 10:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

I got a good running 5.7 with a complete transaxle. Little duct tape and a 3pt blower I could be in biznus.

The blower I have my eye on is a dually. Problem is there was only one left and on sale yesterday before the first wave of snow, more to come so I have my doubts it will be there tomorrow especially if the news keeps predicting 4' for tomorrow evening.
15 VW Golf wagon, TDI. Did the buyback on my 13 Jetta TDI wagon so it was basically a trade up.
96 Burb K25 3.42's SOLD at 340K miles, told it was all original, close race between engine wearing out or body completely rust out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2018, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

I would use the skidsteer to plow to the edges, then snowblow the edge away.

You can get/make rubber "chains" (basically strips of rubber across the tire) that work pretty well, at least from reports I've read on MyTractorForum.Com I don't recall the product name offhand.

I have a walk-behind lawnmower (52" hydro Snapper walkbehind), that I removed the mowing deck and fabbed a mount for a 54" Warn plow, fabbed some plow ends for it to increase it's capacity, bought some snow tires for it, and it works great for me. I've filled it overflowing on both sides with snow and it can still push through snow, and it only weighs about 600lbs. The only time it has a problem is straight ice, like freezing rain on pavement/packed snow. Just plain packed snow isn't a problem.

You can probably get more opinions on MyTractorForum.Com . Lots of people with similar work to yours.
Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Old 02-24-2018, 08:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
dmax3500
Diesel Ace

I used a 4x4 can am outlander quad this winter [plow guy charged me $100] to plow my parking lot and loading bay[200x300],its a little cold,but a 60'' blade will plow most anything,deeper snow [6''-10''] requires a second pass

im looking for a ''Japanese mini truck'' for next year,i like being warm

Last edited by dmax3500; 02-24-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

I talked to a friend that does small engine repair and he says those cheap big blowers are complete crap. Drive line is typically worse than an average 20". He was right, just for fun I went back to the store for a closer look. The big 45" was still there, the other 30+ that were there on Thursday were gone. All that was left were various flavors of 12" electrics.

One of the things he said is the first to go on them is the gear box. It was stamped metal with no apparent gasket or drain plug which means its got grease with no real way to change or add to it. Also saw the auger shafts only stick out the gearbox an inch or two so the rest is the hollow shafts. Not even a fake bearing at the end, it appears to just be a stamped peg into the hollow end. Not the kind of thing that is going to be up to any real or extended work. Maybe it would do an inch or 3 one time per season but sure ain't gonna do a foot.

They do apparently make good blowers that big but they go for a lot of money. They will have vtwin motors and hydrostat drive so you get 'power' steering. If you are in that class you would usually be looking at a prosumer garden tractor like the little JD diesels. Even those I am told have issues with significant snow power wise so you are then looking at bigger stuff like in the Kubota class which really starts to cost a few bucks.

Last edited by 57diesel; 02-24-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
phat rat
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I use a blower. But I have a big yard to keep up also. I have a 28 hp Husqvarna lawn tractor with a 48" deck. For the winter I have a 40" snowblower attachment for it. The attachment is 20 yrs old, yes I've lived here a long time, 27 yrs. I have 600 ft of driveway plus 2 large parking areas for company and my trailers. Nice thing about the blower is you don't have to make extra room for the snow piles plowing creates nor is a plow tearing up the yard

1941 Ford cpe 454/700R4

1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd

34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front

Dually Club #912
Old 03-04-2018, 09:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

I have heard good things about these but they don't come cheap. Anyone use one or have any thoughts? https://www.ariens.com/en-us/snow-pr...wers/rapidtrak

The hydro stat drive would have to be a big improvement above the disc drive most have. The tracks seem more like a drop/tag axle than actual tracks. In one of the videos it shows you can lock the rear axle down so it keeps more weight on the front.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
G2GBY
Diesel Boss

I don't know what you mow your lawn with. I have a Symplicty lawn tractor that puts down some nice stripes for the continues rollers.
Any way it takes 5min. To change between mowing deck and Snowblower. What I like about the blow it gets rid of the snow vs plow piling up.

Last edited by G2GBY; 03-06-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

I don't have much grass so its easy to do with a walk behind mower. We got a lot of trees and pretty uneven ground so a tractor would be a pain, it would have to be a zero turn sort of thing which would be overkill.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in