JNLPerformance's "Across Diesel Country" - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Other Topics > Off Topic
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Off Topic Everything else..........

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2019, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Champ

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

JNLPerformance's "Across Diesel Country"

So some of you are already aware and some of you aren't. So I'll get right to it.

A few years back, long after I had basically retired from over the road truck driving; I had suggested to my parents that otr driving would be a great retirement option for them. They love it.

Thing is, my older brother had a surprise not too long ago. Him and his wife wanted another child next to my nephew. Well... they got a double dose of reality. Twins. SURPRISE!!

So while my mother plays grandma over the next 3 or 4 weeks, I'm back on the road helping my father out.

I'm currently at the end of the 1st week. I've had a great time driving. Enjoying spending time with my father as well. Part of me has missed driving. Alot has changed. Alot has stayed the same too; particularly the other drivers unhealthy habits and attitudes. It's pretty easy to shrug that off. Gonna try really hard to get my father eating a bit healthier over the next few weeks. Boycott McDonald's folks. It's not good for you... at all!

I digress.

So my trip started out from home in Conyers, Georgia. Not where I claim as being raised, but currently where Megan (my wife) and I reside.

We headed out from there towards Jonesville, SC to a Dollar General Distribution Center.

From there the following day we picked up in Orangeburg, SC at a Husqvarna manufacturing facility to drop that load off in Warren, OH.

After that we picked up a load in Cleveland, OH that drops off tomorrow in Decatur, AL.

Currently sitting at a small Mom 'n Pop truck stop called "The Tennessean Truck Stop" off I-65. Good food. Clean. I like it here.

They have an old ? 40s era Chevy pickup truck out front. Practically in pristine condition! I said to myself: "What a terrible use of a perfectly good truck! What. A. Shame". I went inside to see if I could buy it. No go. Oh well.

On the way down here, I passed the national Corvette museum in Blowing Green, KY. Where they had the sinkhole eat several high value vettes' happen some years back. I made a huge mistake. Major fail. Didn't get a picture in time! I tried but it was too late. It had already passed us by.

Anyway... I'll keep on posting daily. This is not a closed post. Replies are very welcome! As per the norm please keep it clean and cordial!

Meet and greets are fine too! I always like to meet our fellow members!

Cheers to all!

Next stop: Decatur, AL sometime in the morning. Cst.

Oh, and I hope you guys enjoy the pictures!

Edit: Having some issues posting my pics. As soon as its resolved I'll be posting away!

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 10:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
tnDan
Diesel Starter

Sounds like a good trip!
Too bad I didn't see this hours before, could have jumped in the car and shot over for a visit. Instead I spent a few too many hours dismantling my Duramax for head gaskets.

Last night helped a buddy with his 6.5L truck after doing a PCV upgrade on my daughters 1.4L Cruze, in Ardmore AL none the less.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2019, 10:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
tnDan
Diesel Starter

Just google mapped Cornersville and we drive by that truck stop on the way to the daughters. It's about 1/2 hr from me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Champ

Update on why there are no pics yet. I have several to upload and plenty more that haven't been taken yet. Lol. I just submitted the error in the help section. Hopefully we will get it resolved soon!

Really are some cool pics I'd like to share. Different pics from different parts of our beautiful country!
Old 05-06-2019, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Champ

So today has been... interesting... at the least.

Our delivery from Cleveland, OH to Decatur, AL was to a 3M Chemical Facility here in Decatur.

First off, I think I accidentally came up with something that most definitely started to spread like wildfire there. Now that I think of it... that saying has a different meaning for me today. You'll understand here in a moment.

I asked the doc master "How are you doing today sir"? His reply was "fantastic"! However I miss heard him and said... "Did you just pull a 3m joke on me and say fan-plastic"? He said "No but that's great"! Next thing I know I have an executive area manager talk to me about it. That's all I started to hear is "Fanplastic"! Bahahaha. Perfect. I guess if it turns into a thing hopefully I'll see royalties because that's what we were talking about! That'd be pretty nice...

Anyway... the fanplastic fun didn't last too long...

Gotta watch the safety videos before entering the facility. Same ole song and dance. Been there done that many times before. Typical and necessary for chemical facilities and such. Same at a place called Eastman in Kingsport, TN. At least the 3m safety orientation was 6 mins and not 30 like eastman. Boring and annoying but serves a purpose and I listen and soak it in. Most people dont.

Well as many times as I've been thru this... today had to be the day. The emergency alarms clearly sounded off! I heard the message. Sorta. Kinda muffled. But because I actually pay attention to the safety videos I knew the proper protocols to follow. They can infact save your life.

I quickly went to fetch my father from the bathroom. Priority numero el uno for me at that moment. Said "hey man, time to go!" He looked at me blankly. I knew he couldn't hear the alarm or message. I heard the alarm clear, but barely heard the message. My father can't hear all that well. I shuffled him on his way.

I took a quick leak myself, very quickly washed my hands and bolted back. I'm 140lbs. Good shape. I'm fast. No worries there. I had to go... what can I say? Since I was already there I quickly went and caught back up to my priority. My father.

To make a long dialog short I met up with the same executive manager I spoke with before as per protocol. I asked what was going on. Apparently they were evacuating two buildings adjacent to our location.

His face looked extremely concerned. "This was NOT good..." I thought to myself.

He told me that I may need to follow protocol for facility evacuation. Possible exposure.

Fortunately he let us drive away. The windage was right for it. Wind was blowing in the other direction. For that I'm thankful. I didn't want to be anywhere near that place by that time. We did the boot scoot boogie on out of that place just as soon as we got the go ahead.

On down the road we went. I hope everyone in the other direction is ok. I hope everyone at the facility is ok.

I'm glad were away from there. Not a good feeling to have. 1st time I've experienced something of that nature.

Today... I feel rather lucky. I don't know what spilled... how much of it or if it even was in fact a spill. I really don't know the extent to which it became. We didn't exactly stick around to find out. I know what I was told... "chemical spill"... "exposure"...

Lucky. Word of the day. I feel lucky.

...anyway...

With 3M far in our rear view mirrors... were picking up ?golf carts? from some place in Stevenson, AL and it drops in Appling, GA just outside of Augusta tomorrow.

Good times. Interesting at the least....
Old 05-08-2019, 11:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Champ

PICTURES!!!

Sorry about the upside down pics... my father took those. ... nuff said.

I'm going to upload in the order they were taken. I have many more but I'm choosing the best pictures for upload. I like the pics my father took even tho they are upside down. You can turn them upright by looking at them in the proper manner

I was going to have annotations for the pics but I have so many now I've forgotten alot of it. I'll do my best to remember. Playing catch up on my post here.

Nothing too terribly interesting has happened in the past? Day or two. I forgot how the days blur together on the road like this! Besides, I'm currently rolling through my home turf so... to me it's the same ole same ole...

We went from the Club Car Facility in Appling, GA to a Kimberly Clark Distribution Center in Augusta, GA to pick up paper towels and toilet paper to deliever to a Publix Distribution Center in McCalla, AL.

I swore up and down over 12 years ago I'd NEVER look at a Kimberly Clark Building EVER again! Looks like I was wrong. When I started driving several years ago I ran dedicated runs for Werner (Weeeeener... yea I'm not fond of Werner, or most other large carriers for that matter) I ran dedicated for KC and Home Depot for a long while. These big carriers will run you into the ground without a care in the world. Those companies that have the logos and slogans that say "our best resource is in the driver seat"... those are the worst. Nothing but lies.

I digress.

We're headed to a place called Peach Automotive in Clanton, AL. From the looks of it they sell Mahindra Tractors. Thats cool. Going to take us to Lavonia, GA and after that were headed to somewhere in South Carolina that is going to take us to Shepherdsville, KY.

... never know where we're going...

Picture Annotations
=====
#1 Going up into WV.
#2 Comming up on a cool bridge crossing the Ohio River.
#3 The Ohio River.
#4 Capitol Building in ? Dunno... under construction or remodel.
#5 I have no clue...

Next few posts will be nothing but picture uploads to catch up on that... so the pics will match the posts.

CHEERS!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190501_200843.jpg (38.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20190502_104409.jpg (77.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20190502_104418.jpg (60.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20190502_104826.jpg (82.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20190502_190326.jpg (57.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Glad to see the pics

Are you running flatbed or dry box?
1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Old 05-08-2019, 01:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Champ

Dry van (dry box). Its good for my parents. It's a 2017 Volvo VNL780 with a Detroit D13 / Eeaton-Fuller 13 speed transmission high range gear split(top of the line model) and a Great Dane 53' Dry Van.

I can tell that electronics have taken over just as with anything else. Took me a few hours to get use to it. How things have changed.

Myself personally;
I've ran dry vans, tankers, flatbeds and lowboys for heavy equipment during the construction boom in Atlanta some years ago.

I prefer the Kenworth T600 (older/ish-school) It's quite a bit smaller with a shorter wheel-base, much tighter turning radius, lighter platform but just as heavy duty... larger more powerful engine. Typically equipped with a Cat C15 and an ef10-18 speed transmission (hi end split variant).

It's a bit more conservative of a platform. Smaller living quarters with the same interior accessories. Bottom bed / table / top bunk, fridge, tube TV (back then) and microwave. Standard stuff. These days it's the microwave and newer style flatscreens (which I like those lol) I never use the bottom bunks. Again... I'm a pretty lightweight guy so I suppose I can get away with it.

I like the older engine brakes, and control methods vs this new stuff. My personal preference. To each is their own.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190508_114754.jpg (114.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-08-2019, 01:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Champ

Just like I've been saying to my dad on this trip;

"Some things change, and some things stay the same..."
Old 05-08-2019, 02:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Champ

#1 The wonder view you get at The Tennessean Truck Stop.

#2-4 That poor 40s maybe 50s era truck. I wanted that thing soooooo bad. Oh well....

#5 The truck adjacent to it. Looks like they've been taking care of it...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190505_184745.jpg (113.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20190504_164647.jpg (181.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20190504_164605.jpg (156.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20190504_164615.jpg (139.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20190504_164632.jpg (156.2 KB, 4 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in