Hurricane - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Other Topics > Off Topic
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Off Topic Everything else..........

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2018, 10:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
sfcjones
Diesel Legend

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

Just topped off the generator again so I can make it thru the night. The phone rang meaning I had phone service. So that is good. I checked my wifi as well because I lost it the next day. So here I am on my computer just letting everyone know I am still here. We should have power within 14 days, I guess that is the price I have to pay for living 20 miles from town.
http://www.outageentry.com/CustomerF...clientid=GRADY

This is the outage map...showing some green, but showing alot of red...

2007 Chevy Tahoe with Ranch Hand 240k Miles
2010 Chevy Suburban LTZ 75th Diamond Edition, 106k Miles
Member #67 A(ACLU) Agent Sgt. Slaughter
DP Jug Holder #3
US Army Veteran 25 Years of Service
You haven’t lived ‘til you’ve almost died. For those who have fought for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.(MACV-SOG)
'A man will reveal his character through his actions, not his skin color.'
Romans 10:13 For Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be Saved.
NRA Patriot Life Benefactor Member

Last edited by sfcjones; 10-14-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2018, 12:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
jifaire
Banned

Stay safe, Sarge.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Hey Sarge,

How did you do in the devastation? Property, body, any of the above?

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... create welfare laws to service illegals in the Home Depot parking lot... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2018, 05:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
sfcjones
Diesel Legend

Armed Forces Club Member

On my wifes Office the roof lost a few shingles, I had a Pecan Limb fall onto my brand new fence I put up...The Pecan Limb came from my neighbors tree. He watched me use a bow saw and never once offered to help. Later that night I stopped by to tell him that a FEMA truck was at the High School passing out ice and water and mentioned that I was able to get the pecan limb off the fence and he said "Yeah, I watched you cutting that with a hand saw".
I had a neighbor from across the street who lost his porch roof. It landed in my field. Most if the damage was from trees falling on the roads. Parts of I10 was blocked between Tallahassee and Pensacola because of debris.
The people who don't have any power are sleeping outside on their porches at night because of the heat. I installed a small window unit and bought a generator so I am doing ok in that department. Just killing me on the expenses. I am using about 20 gallons of gas a day to feed the generator...My wife is killing it during the day and only running it at evening and nights so I figure about 14 hours a day is what it is going to be.
DP Jug Holder #3
You haven’t lived ‘til you’ve almost died. For those who have fought for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.(MACV-SOG)
Old 10-15-2018, 05:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
sfcjones
Diesel Legend

Armed Forces Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifaire View Post
Stay safe, Sarge.
Thanks Jim
DP Jug Holder #3
Old 10-15-2018, 07:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcjones View Post
On my wifes Office the roof lost a few shingles, I had a Pecan Limb fall onto my brand new fence I put up...The Pecan Limb came from my neighbors tree. He watched me use a bow saw and never once offered to help. Later that night I stopped by to tell him that a FEMA truck was at the High School passing out ice and water and mentioned that I was able to get the pecan limb off the fence and he said "Yeah, I watched you cutting that with a hand saw".
I had a neighbor from across the street who lost his porch roof. It landed in my field. Most if the damage was from trees falling on the roads. Parts of I10 was blocked between Tallahassee and Pensacola because of debris.
The people who don't have any power are sleeping outside on their porches at night because of the heat. I installed a small window unit and bought a generator so I am doing ok in that department. Just killing me on the expenses. I am using about 20 gallons of gas a day to feed the generator...My wife is killing it during the day and only running it at evening and nights so I figure about 14 hours a day is what it is going to be.
Thanks for the update. Given what happened, I'm glad to hear you fared pretty well, considering.

My neighbor's a dick too. Instead of calling animal control on his barking dogs I left him a note. Last year, I told him I would leave him a note next time and I actually apologized for calling animal control on him last year. For all the good it did me. Got him on CCTV crinkling up my note and throwing it in my yard. Guess he prefers I call. Dick. Btw, I left him several notes last year that he ignored and that's why I called. But to keep the peace going forward I apologized anyhow. No good deed goes unpunished. Live and learn. Some folks just wanna see how bad I can be

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... create welfare laws to service illegals in the Home Depot parking lot... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?
Old 10-19-2018, 05:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
sfcjones
Diesel Legend

Armed Forces Club Member

Good News, Power has been restored. My wife called me while I was in SC and told me that she thinks the power was back on...had her go to up the road to verify. Sure enough it was. She asked me if it was possible to disconnect the generator and get back on the grid. I told her I would take care of it when I get today. She didn't want to wait so I started giving her instructions over the phone on how to disconnect the generator from the disconnect switch from the AC and about 35 minutes later she was screaming in joy that she can take a hot bath in her house...I was proud of her that she was able to disconnect the generator without any issues and even rehooking the AC wires to the disconnect.
DP Jug Holder #3
Old 10-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
sfcjones
Diesel Legend

Armed Forces Club Member

All I have to do now is fix the fence, re shingle the office roof and a few other minor things and I will be good to go. Plus I will have to wire up a weather tight connection to plug my generator in...
DP Jug Holder #3
Old 10-25-2018, 05:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
dozerboy
Diesel Guru

Lone Star Diesels Member

I’m glad y’all came out pretty good. How far from the coast are you? I like 10 years ago was my first hurricane. I thought we were good being 60 miles inland. The day before the storm hit businesses around my house were boarding up their windows and some of my neighbors were getting out of town. I was starting to wonder if I was making a big mistake sticking around. We basically had no damage, but several of my neighbors had the shingles ripped off the roof. No power for over a week, but a cool front came in right after the storm so it wasn’t too bad. I swore I was going to buy generator never did. Wouldn’twouldn’t of hardly used it since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
sfcjones
Diesel Legend

Armed Forces Club Member

I am about 2 hours from the Gulf, But that storm moved really quick and it was only 2 mph from being a cat5. We were seeing 50-70 mph winds. Glad it was over with within a few hours. Then the wait for power to be restored. All substations were damaged. In our area over 400 light poles were broken but we didn't see the damage that Panama City seen...That landscape will never be the same...

DP Jug Holder #3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in