how to increase pump hp on cummins 8.3l bosch, type P pump - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Other Topics > Off Topic
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Off Topic Everything else..........

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2006, 08:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
fredw
Diesel Pro

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to fredw

how to increase pump hp on cummins 8.3l bosch, type P pump

i got a differnent combine and would like to now how to turn up the pump about 50hp, dealer says he would have to take the pump off and send it away, the problem is the turnaround will be to long.... i was told there is a cover on the end of the pump(four torx screws) to remove and inside the cover you must extend the stroke of the plunger, some say one turn some same half a turn) to get required power i am after... this sounds very vague so i was wondering if someone here knows more details on doing this job

there is also a wastegate that has an adjustment, can i use that to help me out

any help would be appreciated

thanks again

nice truck and great power but not great on fuel
blown crank in two places after 44k
07 LBZ 2500
Egt deleated, PPE airbox mod, egr and boost stick from PPE, PPE dual fueler, PPE tuned, hightech turbo with a few of my own perks
03 lb7 duramax
best on diesel [email protected] 112mph
best with nitrous [email protected] 117mph 7040bs race weight

2002 and 2001, both trucks sold down south for more money than purchased price less than a year after buying them
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2006, 08:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
DMAX Daddy
Diesel Champ

Armed Forces Club Member

I do not think this is the same set up as truck/diesel generator engines I used to work on, but we had that cover with the torx screws and it had a pipe plug on the end, which was safety wired to tell if we tampered with it.

By screwing a 7/16 bolt into this hole instead of the pipe plug it would keep the lower governor from reaching fuel shutoff, thereby giving more RPM and horsepower cause the fuel would shut off at whatever RPM it was set to shutdown at.

Most folks called this a "Stinger" and if your engine is under any type of warranty DO NOT DO IT.

Its been 15 years since I went to Cummins fuel pump school, so Im a little rusty

Old 07-05-2006, 06:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
fredw
Diesel Pro

thqnks, anyone else with a little info would be nice, hard to find a website to help me out with this problem
07 LBZ 2500
Egt deleated, PPE airbox mod, egr and boost stick from PPE, PPE dual fueler, PPE tuned, hightech turbo with a few of my own perks
03 lb7 duramax

2002 and 2001, both trucks sold down south for more money than purchased price less than a year after buying them
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2006, 06:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
mick5726

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredw View Post
i got a differnent combine and would like to now how to turn up the pump about 50hp, dealer says he would have to take the pump off and send it away, the problem is the turnaround will be to long.... i was told there is a cover on the end of the pump(four torx screws) to remove and inside the cover you must extend the stroke of the plunger, some say one turn some same half a turn) to get required power i am after... this sounds very vague so i was wondering if someone here knows more details on doing this job

there is also a wastegate that has an adjustment, can i use that to help me out

any help would be appreciated

thanks again
Have the same engine in my RV, go to TST Products they have a torque curve plate kit for around $200. I went with the 70hp kit and installed it myshelf.
Gary
Old 07-05-2006, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
fredw
Diesel Pro

what did this kit involve, does a guy need a egt probe afterwards, any othe info would be great, thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick5726 View Post
Have the same engine in my RV, go to TST Products they have a torque curve plate kit for around $200. I went with the 70hp kit and installed it myshelf.
Gary
07 LBZ 2500
03 lb7 duramax

Old 07-05-2006, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
mick5726

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredw View Post
what did this kit involve, does a guy need a egt probe afterwards, any othe info would be great, thanks again
Go to their web sit and download the installation instructions, all these years and I still don't know how to paste and copy. Get their phone number and give them a call they are very helpful.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
White Duramax
Diesel Pro

Buckeye Oil Burners Member

I'm pretty sure its just like a 5.9 P pump. Remiver the cover on top with 4 screws in it. Loosen the 2 bolts inside and slide the plate forward all the way. Could also put a boost elbow in it.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
fredw
Diesel Pro

well i screwed the set screw inside the cover 1 turn and pluged the wastegate off, making 24bs boost over 19 stock, any idea how much extra power i will see, thanks
07 LBZ 2500
03 lb7 duramax

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread