Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/4-other-topics/35-off-topic/)
-   -   Beware of Hampton Bay fixtures (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/4-other-topics/35-off-topic/252160-beware-hampton-bay-fixtures.html)

tuney443 06-28-2008 08:48 AM

Beware of Hampton Bay fixtures

Just a heads up when buying Hampton Bay light fixtures at Home Depot---some of their flourescent ones use bulbs that they don't stock and some have non-replaceable ballasts.My original ballast lasted only 3 months and this 6 month old other fixture,the bulb went out,not only can't Home Depot get it,but no other contractor type electrical lighting shop can either.All I got from the store mgr. at Depot was a very sad apology--nothing he could do.

crasher22 06-28-2008 11:47 AM

i would buy another one and swap the ballasts and bulbs and return it

DMAX Daddy 06-28-2008 11:54 AM

I bought one Hampton Bay ceiling fan and will never buy another one of their products. The Hunter ceiling fans I have are quieter on full speed than the Hampton Bay at any speed (except off)

radar1053 06-28-2008 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAX Daddy (Post 2723293)
I bought one Hampton Bay ceiling fan and will never buy another one of their products. The Hunter ceiling fans I have are quieter on full speed than the Hampton Bay at any speed (except off)

One word of caution on the Hunter fans that I have run into and I have 3 and love them is they make a cheaper version for HD and and it is not backed up as well. So you have to make sure you shop around. I never did like the Hampton bay ones anyway since I have the Hunter. One of my fans never had a light kit as I hung it high in a vaulted ceiling. I have had the darn thing close to 18 yrs now and I went into a hunter fan store and found a new light kit for it on the shelf and that was a nice suprise for me.

Mike L. 06-28-2008 02:49 PM

Do a search for ballasts and I'm sure you will find one. I went through the same thing and my wife found a place on the internet.

Redtj1997 06-28-2008 04:47 PM

I too have had some trouble with a hapmton bay fan. Damn ballast. I did find another place that had it. I'll see if I can locate the number.
Todd

TheBac 06-28-2008 07:19 PM

Curious...are the Hampton Bay ones made in China?

Diesels_n_Poker 06-28-2008 08:30 PM

Yep, Chikity China!

Hunter is the best for the money in my opinion.

When I was doing electrician work it seemed every hampton bay fan was boxed differently. Some screwhead chinamen laughing about it the whole time I am sure.

Not BAD fans, just not GREAT fans - poor natural balance, no oil-bath bearings, cheap light fixtures, and too lightweight. You get an original Hunter with the oil bath and that damn thing weighs so much just the sheer mass keeps the thing from vibrating if the blades are out of balance.

Dunno about HB standalone light fixtures though...

tuney443 06-29-2008 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike L. (Post 2723474)
Do a search for ballasts and I'm sure you will find one. I went through the same thing and my wife found a place on the internet.

No Mike,I searched everywhere--they want you to replace the entire fixture.The cheap Chinese ballast was riveted in--not that I could'nt deal with that,but I tried everywhere to get a similiar one at contractor type electric warehouses.--They are truly junk--told my GF I'm not installing anymore no matter how perty she thinks it is.

tuney443 06-29-2008 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crasher22 (Post 2723288)
i would buy another one and swap the ballasts and bulbs and return it

I thought of that and now wish I had with the ballast problem.Today, I tried putting a very similiar 55 Watt bulb back in the fixture box and took out the needed 58 W bulb into the 55W packaging but the damn thing wouldn't fit right.I've got a call in to Home Depot--waiting to hear their response.Funny--you go to HB's site and they steer you for contact info to HD and some other large chain.