Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/4-other-topics/35-off-topic/)
-   -   Boot Camp (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/4-other-topics/35-off-topic/220885-boot-camp.html)

red suburban 02-19-2008 12:05 AM

Boot Camp

so i've got just under a month to go now until i start basic with the air force (march 18th) and wanted to get opinions on what to expect and what else i should do before i leave for 8 weeks of constantly getting my *** chewed. i've been running and working out for the past 4 months up here, altitude is a little over 6,200 ft here at the house and am in pretty good shape though still not as good as i was a few years ago. anything i should or should not bring? exercises i should do? i'm well within my weight range for my height so no worries there, nearly dead middle.

yep i can already hear some of yall cheering "thank god he's gonna be gone!!!" :p:. dont party too much i'll be back to torture yall haha.

DieselPro 02-19-2008 12:17 AM

All you need to bring is you and some cut off jeans and a T shirt. Uncle Sam will provide the rest. Good Luck!

Bolyard 02-19-2008 12:22 AM

Air Force Basic!?!?!?! Thats like a vactaion lol. Itll be no sweat, they'll give you everything youll need

grizzified 02-19-2008 12:23 AM

You're going to be just fine at air force boot camp if you're height weight proportionate and can run a couple miles. I'm not saying it'll be mellow, but you'll be just fine. The instructors whole purpose is to take civilians and turn them into airmen, just follow instructions to a T and don't get hurt. They(the recruiters) should give you a list of what you can and cannot bring - I'd pay close attention to that, and be a minimalist. Less is more at boot camp IMO.
Thank you for your commitment to serve!

radar1053 02-19-2008 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolyard (Post 2419510)
Air Force Basic!?!?!?! Thats like a vactaion lol. Itll be no sweat, they'll give you everything youll need

A person I know told his kid that the one thing he better not bring to basic is an "attitude" because they will definately change that.

They did!!

Good luck on your new adventure

Buckeye 06DMax 02-19-2008 07:10 AM

Good luck at Lackland...nice place. We deploy down there to work on the C-5's and it has really changed. I was there 30 years ago this October for basic, it was six weeks training then. I think it is alot easier now, they actually care about your health now! :D Still in the Reserves, but not for long!

Beachcruiser 02-19-2008 09:36 AM

Good luck man. As buckeye stated, lackland is actually a nice base.

SaguaroKid 02-19-2008 10:40 AM

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't go in July!!! You'll do fine!! First time I ever had lobster was in basic at Lackland...:)

red suburban 02-19-2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolyard (Post 2419510)

:funnypost hahahaha

they extended it a few months ago to get more combat training in. not worried about the training, the instructors gotta break you down to build you up. san antonio in the spring, good temps all day long (i grew up in houston playing football so heat/humidity i'm used to), gonna suck getting woken up before 5am everyday! that part is gonna kick my *** haha.

height and weight i'm good, according to the air force i'm 5'8" (all other doctors i'm 5'10") and weigh 163 pounds, weight range is 115-192 so thats no problem. i've been running a consistant 3.7 miles in 20 minutes, go lift some weights then run again. harder to breath at this altitude although there is no humidity here either.

question though, hows the food? :D anything else i should be worried about?

irish yankee 02-19-2008 11:58 AM

its been a long time since i ran track but your times seem real good to me.