Diesel Place banner

Trailer Brake Controller with a brake line attached...

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  clemsparks 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I've recently purchased my '82 GMC and it has an add-on traler brake controler and I notice it has a brake line plumbed into it. This runs from a tee in one of the lines off the master cylinder, through the firewall, and into the controller. I haven't found a brand name yet, but it's very apparent that it is a "vintage" unit. It even has faux wood grain IIRC.

I assume it is there to sense when pressure is applied to the brake system so that it can activate trailer brakes. This assumption may or may not be accurate though.

Can anybody comment on weather or not this is a desirable feature, or an outdated one. I'm a little leary of having accessories plumbed into the brake system, but if it's a good old controller, I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks,
Clem

#2 ·
sounds like some good 1960's technology :D

#3 ·
If it still works, they actually work pretty nice because they are variable with brake pressure.

#4 ·
I had two like the one you discribe.... Both worked very well and unless you just want to upgrade I would give it a try...

If you upgrade you need to buy one of the more expensive ones, around 100.00, to get a unit better than what you have now.

#5 ·
I had these units on 1978 and 1981 chevy trucks They worked good when new but after about ten years they started to get weak. I think the lacal NAPA store sold them. I replaced them with Tekonsha 9030. My loads vary 22,000lbs from empty to loaded four or five times a day so the 9030 works good for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.