Trailer towing and Safety ( articals from the web ) - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Other Topics > Truck Uses
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Truck Uses Discuss the many practical uses for our trucks including towing, hauling, trailering, off-roading, snow plowing, and anything else that comes to mind.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
jdcrawler

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Trailer towing and Safety ( articals from the web )

In the past few weeks, I have participated in three separate threads on trailer brake and safety chain requirements.

Here are some links to information from the web on trailer safety requirements, weight restrictions, hitches, lights, towing tips, trouble shooting, etc.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/trailer_brakes.htm

http://www.championtrailers.com/brkart.html

http://www.sherline.com/lmbook.htm

I found a lot of useful information including a diagram showing crossed safety chains.

The following is copied from the first link:

"Federal law requires all trailers with brakes to have some type of emergency "breakaway" system that will automatically apply the brakes should the trailer accidentally separate from the vehicle that is pulling it. On trailers with electric brakes, this means having an emergency battery backup system that can energize the brakes, and a breakaway switch or pull pin connected to the tow vehicle to activate the brakes if the trailer comes loose. With surge brake systems, a cable or chain connected to the tow vehicle is typically used to apply the trailer brakes in an emergency."

I find this very interesting because I built a 14,000 GVW goose neck trailer last summer.
The trailer was inspected, titled and licensed.

They checked to make sure my trailer had brakes and lights but no one said any thing about safety chains or a brakeaway system.

ANYHOW .. I hope some of you can find some answers from the information in these links. .. Ray

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2008, 08:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ron Melancon
Block Heater

While your links are a good first step what about all these trailers that the manufactures make just one pound under 3,000? Guess What? They come loose and kill over 400 people a year. They even hit big trucks, they kill a father and a son who are firemen, they kill famlies you know why??? Because very few people know how to tow or put on the SAFEY CHAINS. Guess what?? anybody can build them WITH NO STANDARDS.

I have alot of information at www.dangeroustrailers.org

Heck even in Maryland you can loose your homemade trailer and KILL 3 people and you will not get charged. That person is getting sued.
So we can now form a UTILITY TRAILER HIT MAN COMPANY and go into
Maryland and kill anybody and NOTHING HAPPENS.

Is this right??? What happend?

Here is my anology............ We all hate government in our lives... If you choose not to wear a seat belt and hit a tree and go through the windshield and kill yourself........... You made that choice and did that
to yourself.

If you choose to make a homemade trailer or buy one and use the
Wrong size ball...........
Wrong size hitch...........
Don't put on the Safety Chains...........
Don't use reflector tape (My law in Virginia where the companies tried to kill)
Don't maintain it...........
Have bald tires................
Have stuff flying off..............
Use substandard wires............

and kill the person behind when it comes off the hitch.......It's called
the "hump and Bump" Ask your local EMS or Firemen's Firehouse.....
The person you are impacting is the person behind you.

You are still alive...........

3 Families have been impacted because the person who lost their trailer
ran from the scene.

www.dangeroustrailers.org go to the about us page ..........

The Fromm Family

The Hayden Family

and Crimestoppers.

What are we going to do?

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2008, 08:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ron Melancon
Block Heater

At least in 45 States...............

No REGULATION ON ANY TRAILER JUST ONE POUND UNDER 3,000.

The only requirement is working lights.............

Here is what my Virginia State's Crash team said back in 2006 after an accident
kill a women.

"In Summary, this crash was caused when a homemade trailer detached from the pick up
that towed it. It struck a Cadillac traveling in lthe opposing lanes of traffic, fatally
injuring the driver. Trailers are a special class of vehicle and all are subject to some
requirements regarding lights and chains. While the Code exempts some smaller trailers,
those designed to carry over 3000 pounds are required to have brakes and to be inspected
beyond the initial visual confirmations of a VIN plate.

"HOWEVER, VIRGINIA STATE CODE IS SILENT AS TO ANY DESIGN OR
CONSTRUCTION SPECIFICATIONS FOR THOSE VEHICLES OR FOR TOWING
CHAINS AND HITCHES. The purpose of this TECHNICAL ALERT is to draw attention
to the POTENTIAL dangers of unsafe trailers on roadways in the Commonwealth. In many
cases, towed trailers may be in OBVIOUS violations of safety codes that relate to lighting,
braking and inspection requirements. Wherever possible, LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS
should be trained in ways to quickly and easily identify such vehicles. In other cases, a trailer
may meet all legal requirements but still be hazardous when used in transportation. THE TEAM
RECOMMENDS THAT THE DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES, THE DEPARTMENT
OF STATE POLICE AND OR MEMBERS OF THE VIRGINIA GENERAL ASSEMBLY
REVIEW THE CURRENT ADMINISTRATIVE CODE AND CONSIDER WAYS TO
IMPROVE SAFETY WITH REGARD TO TRAILERS OPERATED ON VIRGINIA ROADS.

I did not write this the crash team did. Can you guess what's been done so far???
NOTHING!!!!!!! Except to push me away, I asked for help and all I get in return is a
revision to my law trying to undo it. This is not the way it should be........

CAN YOU GUESS WHAT'S BEEN DONE??????????????????

NOTHING...............

NOTHING...............

NOTHING...............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2008, 10:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
jdcrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Melancon View Post

If you choose to make a homemade trailer or buy one and use the
Wrong size ball...........
Wrong size hitch...........
Don't put on the Safety Chains...........
Don't use reflector tape (My law in Virginia where the companies tried to kill)
Don't maintain it...........
Have bald tires................
Have stuff flying off..............
Use substandard wires............
I certainly agree with you on the need for regulations for all trailers.

When I took my trailer in to get it inspected, it did not have the safety chains or the brakeaway on it ( I had called and the thay said it just needed lites and brakes ).

He checked a little square on his check sheet for lites and and another square for brakes.

He just "asked' me if the axles had brakes. He never checked to see if the lites or brakes actually worked.
He never looked at he rating tag on the hitch.
Never checked the thickness of the frame or how it was braced underneath.
Never checked any of my welds.

As I stated, I built my own trailer.
The axles are 7,000 lb each and the tires are 3,600 8 ply.
All 4 wheels have electric brakes with a battery powered brakeaway system installed.
It has 2 tail/brake lites on the rear and 2 more tail/brake lites on the upright beams for the goose neck hitch.
It also has 3 (2 bulb) side marker lites on each side.
My safety chains are rated at 15,000 pounds.
The trucks ball is rated at 25,000 pounds.
I built my own hitch plate for the ball, and you'll rip the frame out of the truck before that hitch plate will brake loose.

I realize that I'm bragging but the point is, a lot of people just do not build things like I do.

I have built things all my life and I feel you can't make something to strong, you can only make it to weak!

I've seen "home made" trailers that don't have any lites and probably no brakes.

Some of them look like absolute crap and some are bowed over the axles because the frame isn't made of heavy enough material.

Why are these allowed to be on the road?

My cousin built his own goose neck hitch for his truck. He bought a "chrome" 2-5/16 ball for it. That ball is only rated at 7,000 pounds.

I harassed him about it and he says it will work just fine, and besides the 25,000 pound ball cost more! .. Ray

Last edited by jdcrawler; 03-01-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ron Melancon
Block Heater

What state are you in?

Dear Ray!!!!

Thank you for not attacking me!! You must be a responsible person and I commend you for the courrage you have shown.

Does anybody who reads your posting want to be responsible for killing somebody???

How would you feel........ I am not advocating restrictions on your freedom.

All I am asking is to KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING??

By having the examples on my web site www.dangeroustrailers.org

and the courageous posting by Ray can you make an honest point
that we DO HAVE A PROBLEM.

How do we fix it?? Education.... That is all I am asking for.

CAN WE HAVE A STANDARD??

At least in my State........ The only one in the nation we require
8.33 feet of REFLECTOR TAPE ON THE BACK OF TRAILERS UNDER 3,000
POUNDS.

Ray what state are you in so I can post the requirements of trailers UNDER 3,000 POUNDS AND THEN OVER.

Ron
Old 03-01-2008, 11:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ron Melancon
Block Heater

POLICE OFFICER KILLED BY LOOSE TRAILER.
Bill would name stretch of highway to honor Ziegler
By LEROY SIGMAN\Daily Journal Staff Writer
Feb 23, 2004 - 10:48:36 CST
A bill has been introduced in the Missouri House of Representatives by State Rep. Dan Ward, D-Bonne Terre, to name the stretch of U.S. 67 between Leadington and Desloge in honor of a St. Francois County deputy sheriff who was fatally injured in a traffic accident there nearly three years ago.

If the legislation is adopted, that stretch of U.S. 67 between Highway 32 and Highway 8 will be named the "Deputy Steven R. Ziegler Memorial Highway."

Ziegler was in his patrol car heading south on U.S. 67 on the morning of Sept. 29, 2001, when a utility trailer broke loose from a northbound sport utility vehicle. The trailer slammed into Ziegler's car. The 32-year-old officer died the following day at St. John's Mercy Medical Center in St. Louis.

Before he ever became a road deputy, while still a jailer for Sheriff Dan Bullock, Ziegler was given the nickname "Chachi." It came from a character on the old television series "Happy Days" and stuck with him after he became a road officer.

Ziegler was the father of four children. His wife and children became the first in our county to benefit from the recently formed St. Francois County chapter of the Backstoppers. That is an organization that provides financial assistance and moral support to the survivors of law enforcement officers and firefighters who die in the line of duty.

Ward said he feels it only appropriate that the stretch of highway on which Ziegler was fatally injured be named in honor of the officer. There has already been significant support for the proposal from within the community.

There has also been legislative support shown for the measure. Seven other lawmakers have joined Ward as cosponsors of the bill. Included in those are State Rep. Kevin Engler, R-Farmington, and State Rep. J.C. Kuessner, D-Eminence.

In order to gain further support, or at least lessen the opposition based on fiscal reasons, a provision in Ward's bill calls for the costs to be paid through private donations. He said the Missouri Department of Transportation has indicated the signs needed to designate the highway in Ziegler's name will cost about $800.

Already, Ward said Sunday night, one fraternal organization has indicated it will make a substantial donation toward those costs. He said Bullock also suggested organizations connected to his department, such as the St. Francois County Sheriff's Association, will probably be more than willing to raise money for the signs.

The bill has been assigned to the House Transportation and Motor Vehicles Committee, but no hearing date has been set. It was only two weeks ago that Ward filed the bill and he said it may come up for hearing in the committee sometime in early March.

Ward is confident the bill will be approved and quickly added, "If it doesn't go through, I will be raising the roof down there." He was referring to the State Capitol.

Generally, bills such as this one draw little opposition in the General Assembly so long as outside funding covers the cost of the signs. Ward said this is a positive way of paying respect to an officer who has made the supreme sacrifice.

"I think it is a great idea," Bullock said of Ward's bill. "There is not hardly a day that someone in the department does not say something in regard to Steve. Despite all the joking and ribbing, he was one of best officers this department has had."

Even at age 32, Ziegler looked much younger and took a lot of kidding from fellow officers, including the sheriff. At the same time, he was a "take charge" kind of officer who would not shy away from any situation and one that other officers wanted with them in virtually any situation.

Bullock recalled that Ziegler pestered him for three years to hire him and when he put Steve on as a reserve deputy Ziegler worked more hours than his full-time officers.

"I had reservations about him when he started," Bullock admits, "but he proved me wrong and turned out to be one of my best officers."

At Ziegler's funeral, Rev. Alan Berry said, "Steve represented what's good about this country ... what's good about America."

The respect fellow officers had for Ziegler was reflected in the fact that more than 200 law enforcement vehicles were in the funeral procession.

Ziegler is not the only law enforcement officer for which such an honor has been proposed. A stretch of Interstate 55 in Perry County has been named the Trooper Jimmie E. Linegar Memorial Highway. The Highway Patrol trooper was killed 19 years ago during a routine traffic stop on I-55.

Ward said he will also be introducing a bill to honor another fallen officer with local ties, Trooper Jesse R. Jenkins.

Jenkins, who had lived in Desloge, was killed on Oct. 14, 1969, in the office of Montgomery County Sheriff Clarence Landrum by a man they had arrested the previous night. While the sheriff was on the telephone, Robert M. Thomas grabbed the sheriff's gun. Jenkins and Thomas exchange gunfire and both suffered fatal chest wounds.

At age 29, Jenkins had been a trooper with the Highway Patrol for two years at the time of his death. He left a wife and two sons.

It is Ward's intention to propose that the stretch of U.S. 67 between Desloge and Bonne Terre be named the Trooper Jesse R. Jenkins Memorial Highway in honor of the fallen officer.

The lawmaker could not say exactly when that bill will be introduced. As with the bill honoring Ziegler, Ward said he would like to have some public support lined up to cover the cost before proceeding with the measure.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ron Melancon
Block Heater

I also have alot of Good documents for all of you to download.

Go to www.dangeroustrailers.org

Then go to my Supporting Documents page and see what I have.

While you are there you can download the file called
A Hart Wrenching Detailed Of The Judgement Day Of The Morrisons Victims. A Very Sad Day.

See what happens the the lives that are affected by a LOOSE TRAILER.

Last edited by Ron Melancon; 03-01-2008 at 11:36 AM. Reason: word
Old 03-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ron Melancon
Block Heater

Ray........Quote
I have built things all my life and I feel you can't make something to strong, you can only make it to weak!

Ray I have no question you can build a super quality trailer.

but do you believe anybody can build a trailer under 3,000 pounds and nobody checks it??

My grandmother can build one today........ and in order to get a vin number
all she has to do is have working lights.

That is it..........

The police officer that comes out to look at it does not pull off the wheels......
check the wires or even the hitch.

Ron
Old 03-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wide Open
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrawler View Post
My cousin built his own goose neck hitch for his truck. He bought a "chrome" 2-5/16 ball for it. That ball is only rated at 7,000 pounds.

I harassed him about it and he says it will work just fine, and besides the 25,000 pound ball cost more! .. Ray
How did he get a ball rated for 7,000 pounds to thread into the base? It is my understanding that only the larger (I think 1.25" shank rated for 25,000 lbs) will work in a gooseneck application.
72 K10
86 K30 Crew cab Dually
Old 03-01-2008, 12:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
jdcrawler

Quote:
Dear Ray!!!!

Thank you for not attacking me!! You must be a responsible person and I commend you for the courrage you have shown.

Does anybody who reads your posting want to be responsible for killing somebody???

How would you feel........ I am not advocating restrictions on your freedom.

All I am asking is to KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING??

By having the examples on my web site www.dangeroustrailers.org

and the courageous posting by Ray can you make an honest point
that we DO HAVE A PROBLEM.

How do we fix it?? Education.... That is all I am asking for.

CAN WE HAVE A STANDARD??

At least in my State........ The only one in the nation we require
8.33 feet of REFLECTOR TAPE ON THE BACK OF TRAILERS UNDER 3,000
POUNDS.

Ray what state are you in so I can post the requirements of trailers UNDER 3,000 POUNDS AND THEN OVER.

Ron
Quote:
Ray........Quote

Ray I have no question you can build a super quality trailer.

but do you believe anybody can build a trailer under 3,000 pounds and nobody checks it??

My grandmother can build one today........ and in order to get a vin number
all she has to do is have working lights.

That is it..........

The police officer that comes out to look at it does not pull off the wheels......
check the wires or even the hitch.

Ron
Ron ..

If I had my way, "every " home made trailer would have to be inspected ( and not the half *** kind of inspection mine got ).

I personally think anything over 1,000 GVW should have trailer brakes.

I feel there are road & weather conditions where a 3,000 pound car isn't going to be able to stop itself AND a 3,000 pound trailer safely.

Personally .. I'm hauling about 10,000 pounds ( trailer and load ) to tractor shows.
Now I could haul that with a 3/4 ton truck but I feel much more secure with my 1 ton dually doing the job.
It's just that much heavier, with bigger brakes and more tires carrying the load.

As you stated . . I do not want to be responsible for some one dying because my trailer gets away from me.
So I'm going to do every thing I can to make sure it doesn't and I wish every one else would also.

And if some think I'm just bragging about the things I build .. than that is just tough cookies!
I'm sure you will feel different about about my attitude if you come up behind me on the road.

Unfortunately .. I think more people are going to have to die before the law will be changed.

PS: I live in northern Michigan. .. Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in