Diesel Place banner

Trailer towing and Safety ( articals from the web )

4K views 28 replies 4 participants last post by  jdcrawler 
#1 ·
In the past few weeks, I have participated in three separate threads on trailer brake and safety chain requirements.

Here are some links to information from the web on trailer safety requirements, weight restrictions, hitches, lights, towing tips, trouble shooting, etc.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/trailer_brakes.htm

http://www.championtrailers.com/brkart.html

http://www.sherline.com/lmbook.htm

I found a lot of useful information including a diagram showing crossed safety chains.

The following is copied from the first link:

"Federal law requires all trailers with brakes to have some type of emergency "breakaway" system that will automatically apply the brakes should the trailer accidentally separate from the vehicle that is pulling it. On trailers with electric brakes, this means having an emergency battery backup system that can energize the brakes, and a breakaway switch or pull pin connected to the tow vehicle to activate the brakes if the trailer comes loose. With surge brake systems, a cable or chain connected to the tow vehicle is typically used to apply the trailer brakes in an emergency."

I find this very interesting because I built a 14,000 GVW goose neck trailer last summer.
The trailer was inspected, titled and licensed.

They checked to make sure my trailer had brakes and lights but no one said any thing about safety chains or a brakeaway system.

ANYHOW .. I hope some of you can find some answers from the information in these links. .. Ray

See less See more
#2 ·
While your links are a good first step what about all these trailers that the manufactures make just one pound under 3,000? Guess What? They come loose and kill over 400 people a year. They even hit big trucks, they kill a father and a son who are firemen, they kill famlies you know why??? Because very few people know how to tow or put on the SAFEY CHAINS. Guess what?? anybody can build them WITH NO STANDARDS.

I have alot of information at www.dangeroustrailers.org

Heck even in Maryland you can loose your homemade trailer and KILL 3 people and you will not get charged. That person is getting sued.
So we can now form a UTILITY TRAILER HIT MAN COMPANY and go into
Maryland and kill anybody and NOTHING HAPPENS.

Is this right??? What happend?

Here is my anology............ We all hate government in our lives... If you choose not to wear a seat belt and hit a tree and go through the windshield and kill yourself........... You made that choice and did that
to yourself.

If you choose to make a homemade trailer or buy one and use the
Wrong size ball...........
Wrong size hitch...........
Don't put on the Safety Chains...........
Don't use reflector tape (My law in Virginia where the companies tried to kill)
Don't maintain it...........
Have bald tires................
Have stuff flying off..............
Use substandard wires............

and kill the person behind when it comes off the hitch.......It's called
the "hump and Bump" Ask your local EMS or Firemen's Firehouse.....
The person you are impacting is the person behind you.

You are still alive...........

3 Families have been impacted because the person who lost their trailer
ran from the scene.

www.dangeroustrailers.org go to the about us page ..........

The Fromm Family

The Hayden Family

and Crimestoppers.

What are we going to do?

#4 · (Edited)
If you choose to make a homemade trailer or buy one and use the
Wrong size ball...........
Wrong size hitch...........
Don't put on the Safety Chains...........
Don't use reflector tape (My law in Virginia where the companies tried to kill)
Don't maintain it...........
Have bald tires................
Have stuff flying off..............
Use substandard wires............
I certainly agree with you on the need for regulations for all trailers.

When I took my trailer in to get it inspected, it did not have the safety chains or the brakeaway on it ( I had called and the thay said it just needed lites and brakes ).

He checked a little square on his check sheet for lites and and another square for brakes.

He just "asked' me if the axles had brakes. He never checked to see if the lites or brakes actually worked.
He never looked at he rating tag on the hitch.
Never checked the thickness of the frame or how it was braced underneath.
Never checked any of my welds.

As I stated, I built my own trailer.
The axles are 7,000 lb each and the tires are 3,600 8 ply.
All 4 wheels have electric brakes with a battery powered brakeaway system installed.
It has 2 tail/brake lites on the rear and 2 more tail/brake lites on the upright beams for the goose neck hitch.
It also has 3 (2 bulb) side marker lites on each side.
My safety chains are rated at 15,000 pounds.
The trucks ball is rated at 25,000 pounds.
I built my own hitch plate for the ball, and you'll rip the frame out of the truck before that hitch plate will brake loose.

I realize that I'm bragging but the point is, a lot of people just do not build things like I do.

I have built things all my life and I feel you can't make something to strong, you can only make it to weak!

I've seen "home made" trailers that don't have any lites and probably no brakes.

Some of them look like absolute crap and some are bowed over the axles because the frame isn't made of heavy enough material.

Why are these allowed to be on the road?

My cousin built his own goose neck hitch for his truck. He bought a "chrome" 2-5/16 ball for it. That ball is only rated at 7,000 pounds.

I harassed him about it and he says it will work just fine, and besides the 25,000 pound ball cost more! .. Ray

#3 ·
At least in 45 States...............

No REGULATION ON ANY TRAILER JUST ONE POUND UNDER 3,000.

The only requirement is working lights.............

Here is what my Virginia State's Crash team said back in 2006 after an accident
kill a women.

"In Summary, this crash was caused when a homemade trailer detached from the pick up
that towed it. It struck a Cadillac traveling in lthe opposing lanes of traffic, fatally
injuring the driver. Trailers are a special class of vehicle and all are subject to some
requirements regarding lights and chains. While the Code exempts some smaller trailers,
those designed to carry over 3000 pounds are required to have brakes and to be inspected
beyond the initial visual confirmations of a VIN plate.

"HOWEVER, VIRGINIA STATE CODE IS SILENT AS TO ANY DESIGN OR
CONSTRUCTION SPECIFICATIONS FOR THOSE VEHICLES OR FOR TOWING
CHAINS AND HITCHES. The purpose of this TECHNICAL ALERT is to draw attention
to the POTENTIAL dangers of unsafe trailers on roadways in the Commonwealth. In many
cases, towed trailers may be in OBVIOUS violations of safety codes that relate to lighting,
braking and inspection requirements. Wherever possible, LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS
should be trained in ways to quickly and easily identify such vehicles. In other cases, a trailer
may meet all legal requirements but still be hazardous when used in transportation. THE TEAM
RECOMMENDS THAT THE DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES, THE DEPARTMENT
OF STATE POLICE AND OR MEMBERS OF THE VIRGINIA GENERAL ASSEMBLY
REVIEW THE CURRENT ADMINISTRATIVE CODE AND CONSIDER WAYS TO
IMPROVE SAFETY WITH REGARD TO TRAILERS OPERATED ON VIRGINIA ROADS.

I did not write this the crash team did. Can you guess what's been done so far???
NOTHING!!!!!!! Except to push me away, I asked for help and all I get in return is a
revision to my law trying to undo it. This is not the way it should be........

CAN YOU GUESS WHAT'S BEEN DONE??????????????????

NOTHING...............

NOTHING...............

NOTHING...............

#5 ·
What state are you in?

Dear Ray!!!!

Thank you for not attacking me!! You must be a responsible person and I commend you for the courrage you have shown.

Does anybody who reads your posting want to be responsible for killing somebody???

How would you feel........ I am not advocating restrictions on your freedom.

All I am asking is to KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING??

By having the examples on my web site www.dangeroustrailers.org

and the courageous posting by Ray can you make an honest point
that we DO HAVE A PROBLEM.

How do we fix it?? Education.... That is all I am asking for.

CAN WE HAVE A STANDARD??

At least in my State........ The only one in the nation we require
8.33 feet of REFLECTOR TAPE ON THE BACK OF TRAILERS UNDER 3,000
POUNDS.

Ray what state are you in so I can post the requirements of trailers UNDER 3,000 POUNDS AND THEN OVER.

Ron

#10 ·
Dear Ray!!!!

Thank you for not attacking me!! You must be a responsible person and I commend you for the courrage you have shown.

Does anybody who reads your posting want to be responsible for killing somebody???

How would you feel........ I am not advocating restrictions on your freedom.

All I am asking is to KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING??

By having the examples on my web site www.dangeroustrailers.org

and the courageous posting by Ray can you make an honest point
that we DO HAVE A PROBLEM.

How do we fix it?? Education.... That is all I am asking for.

CAN WE HAVE A STANDARD??

At least in my State........ The only one in the nation we require
8.33 feet of REFLECTOR TAPE ON THE BACK OF TRAILERS UNDER 3,000
POUNDS.

Ray what state are you in so I can post the requirements of trailers UNDER 3,000 POUNDS AND THEN OVER.

Ron
Ray........Quote
I have built things all my life and I feel you can't make something to strong, you can only make it to weak!

Ray I have no question you can build a super quality trailer.

but do you believe anybody can build a trailer under 3,000 pounds and nobody checks it??

My grandmother can build one today........ and in order to get a vin number
all she has to do is have working lights.

That is it..........

The police officer that comes out to look at it does not pull off the wheels......
check the wires or even the hitch.

Ron
Ron ..

If I had my way, "every " home made trailer would have to be inspected ( and not the half ass kind of inspection mine got ).

I personally think anything over 1,000 GVW should have trailer brakes.

I feel there are road & weather conditions where a 3,000 pound car isn't going to be able to stop itself AND a 3,000 pound trailer safely.

Personally .. I'm hauling about 10,000 pounds ( trailer and load ) to tractor shows.
Now I could haul that with a 3/4 ton truck but I feel much more secure with my 1 ton dually doing the job.
It's just that much heavier, with bigger brakes and more tires carrying the load.

As you stated . . I do not want to be responsible for some one dying because my trailer gets away from me.
So I'm going to do every thing I can to make sure it doesn't and I wish every one else would also.

And if some think I'm just bragging about the things I build .. than that is just tough cookies!
I'm sure you will feel different about about my attitude if you come up behind me on the road.

Unfortunately .. I think more people are going to have to die before the law will be changed.

PS: I live in northern Michigan. .. Ray

#6 ·
POLICE OFFICER KILLED BY LOOSE TRAILER.
Bill would name stretch of highway to honor Ziegler
By LEROY SIGMAN\Daily Journal Staff Writer
Feb 23, 2004 - 10:48:36 CST
A bill has been introduced in the Missouri House of Representatives by State Rep. Dan Ward, D-Bonne Terre, to name the stretch of U.S. 67 between Leadington and Desloge in honor of a St. Francois County deputy sheriff who was fatally injured in a traffic accident there nearly three years ago.

If the legislation is adopted, that stretch of U.S. 67 between Highway 32 and Highway 8 will be named the "Deputy Steven R. Ziegler Memorial Highway."

Ziegler was in his patrol car heading south on U.S. 67 on the morning of Sept. 29, 2001, when a utility trailer broke loose from a northbound sport utility vehicle. The trailer slammed into Ziegler's car. The 32-year-old officer died the following day at St. John's Mercy Medical Center in St. Louis.

Before he ever became a road deputy, while still a jailer for Sheriff Dan Bullock, Ziegler was given the nickname "Chachi." It came from a character on the old television series "Happy Days" and stuck with him after he became a road officer.

Ziegler was the father of four children. His wife and children became the first in our county to benefit from the recently formed St. Francois County chapter of the Backstoppers. That is an organization that provides financial assistance and moral support to the survivors of law enforcement officers and firefighters who die in the line of duty.

Ward said he feels it only appropriate that the stretch of highway on which Ziegler was fatally injured be named in honor of the officer. There has already been significant support for the proposal from within the community.

There has also been legislative support shown for the measure. Seven other lawmakers have joined Ward as cosponsors of the bill. Included in those are State Rep. Kevin Engler, R-Farmington, and State Rep. J.C. Kuessner, D-Eminence.

In order to gain further support, or at least lessen the opposition based on fiscal reasons, a provision in Ward's bill calls for the costs to be paid through private donations. He said the Missouri Department of Transportation has indicated the signs needed to designate the highway in Ziegler's name will cost about $800.

Already, Ward said Sunday night, one fraternal organization has indicated it will make a substantial donation toward those costs. He said Bullock also suggested organizations connected to his department, such as the St. Francois County Sheriff's Association, will probably be more than willing to raise money for the signs.

The bill has been assigned to the House Transportation and Motor Vehicles Committee, but no hearing date has been set. It was only two weeks ago that Ward filed the bill and he said it may come up for hearing in the committee sometime in early March.

Ward is confident the bill will be approved and quickly added, "If it doesn't go through, I will be raising the roof down there." He was referring to the State Capitol.

Generally, bills such as this one draw little opposition in the General Assembly so long as outside funding covers the cost of the signs. Ward said this is a positive way of paying respect to an officer who has made the supreme sacrifice.

"I think it is a great idea," Bullock said of Ward's bill. "There is not hardly a day that someone in the department does not say something in regard to Steve. Despite all the joking and ribbing, he was one of best officers this department has had."

Even at age 32, Ziegler looked much younger and took a lot of kidding from fellow officers, including the sheriff. At the same time, he was a "take charge" kind of officer who would not shy away from any situation and one that other officers wanted with them in virtually any situation.

Bullock recalled that Ziegler pestered him for three years to hire him and when he put Steve on as a reserve deputy Ziegler worked more hours than his full-time officers.

"I had reservations about him when he started," Bullock admits, "but he proved me wrong and turned out to be one of my best officers."

At Ziegler's funeral, Rev. Alan Berry said, "Steve represented what's good about this country ... what's good about America."

The respect fellow officers had for Ziegler was reflected in the fact that more than 200 law enforcement vehicles were in the funeral procession.

Ziegler is not the only law enforcement officer for which such an honor has been proposed. A stretch of Interstate 55 in Perry County has been named the Trooper Jimmie E. Linegar Memorial Highway. The Highway Patrol trooper was killed 19 years ago during a routine traffic stop on I-55.

Ward said he will also be introducing a bill to honor another fallen officer with local ties, Trooper Jesse R. Jenkins.

Jenkins, who had lived in Desloge, was killed on Oct. 14, 1969, in the office of Montgomery County Sheriff Clarence Landrum by a man they had arrested the previous night. While the sheriff was on the telephone, Robert M. Thomas grabbed the sheriff's gun. Jenkins and Thomas exchange gunfire and both suffered fatal chest wounds.

At age 29, Jenkins had been a trooper with the Highway Patrol for two years at the time of his death. He left a wife and two sons.

It is Ward's intention to propose that the stretch of U.S. 67 between Desloge and Bonne Terre be named the Trooper Jesse R. Jenkins Memorial Highway in honor of the fallen officer.

The lawmaker could not say exactly when that bill will be introduced. As with the bill honoring Ziegler, Ward said he would like to have some public support lined up to cover the cost before proceeding with the measure.

#8 ·
Ray........Quote

Ray I have no question you can build a super quality trailer.

but do you believe anybody can build a trailer under 3,000 pounds and nobody checks it??

My grandmother can build one today........ and in order to get a vin number
all she has to do is have working lights.

That is it..........

The police officer that comes out to look at it does not pull off the wheels......
check the wires or even the hitch.

Ron

#12 · (Edited)
Here is an accident that claimed a life in Montana....
Tyson Merrifield
Tyson Merrifield | Died: Aug. 8, 2007 Location: Near Billings, Mont. The 26-year-old roofer and ironworker was killed when his pickup was struck head-on by a horse trailer. Both the trailer's hitch and its safety chains had broken, a police report said.

You can go here to view my Memorial
http://dangeroustrailersvirtualmemorialus.blogspot.com/

#14 ·
Here is an accident that claimed a life in Montana....
Tyson Merrifield
Tyson Merrifield | Died: Aug. 8, 2007 Location: Near Billings, Mont. The 26-year-old roofer and ironworker was killed when his pickup was struck head-on by a horse trailer. Both the trailer's hitch and its safety chains had broken, a police report said.

You can go here to view my Memorial
http://dangeroustrailersvirtualmemorialus.blogspot.com/
It sounds as if the trailer manufacturer either built the trailer too weak for the intended application (hitch and chains both broke) or the trailer was significantly overloaded.

#13 · (Edited)
Ray if you can find out the requirements of any trailer under 3,000 pounds in Michigan I will add that info onto my Utlity Trailer Law's Page.

If anybody in this forum can find out the same info for the states I am missing then please let me know.

You have homework......... Maybe by doing this this will awaken this forum about this problem.

Here is my page for this info...

My aim is to be the place that people can come to
and get info.

By the way I work in a department store selling clothes and have in no way benefitted from my actions.

In fact I have put my family's finances on the line to support my efforts.

by the way I just received my "articles of incorporation" Now on Monday I will apply for my EIN number and then start filling out the 501c If anybody knows how to help please let me know.

http://www.dangeroustrailers.org/Utility_Trailer_Laws.html

I just want the fact's...........

#17 ·
Requirements..........

So even a Ford Pinto... THAT CRAPPY car that Ford Built had a Standard.

So in Virginia we have about 500,000 little Pinto's except today they ( By WEIGHT )
are called UTILTY TRAILERS all over the place and NO INSPECTIONS...
NO STAFETY STANDARDS AND NO TRANING.

How about your State....
I am not sure who you are asking but there is information online regarding dimensions and weight capacities for Ohio. I haven't found any information regarding reflective tape or break-away devices so I emailed the OBMV (same as VDMV) for the information. Once received I will either forward the information to you or post an URL.

#18 ·
On A side note: These Utility Trailers are also used in Parade Floats...

Look what happend in just one day last month.............

http://2days3deadparadefloataccidents.blogspot.com/

Again it is on my web site at www.dangeroustraielrs.org

go to Parade Float Accidents.......

Thank you Wide Open..........

At least in Virginia I got LOWES and without Lawyers they decided to
put the tape on without charge... After I disscussed it with them
they decided to put it on every trailer they sell in the Entire United States.

Please go to your local lowes if they sell these traiers they should have
one strip on each side and one on the bottom.

How about that for making a difference......... but the problem is still
out there...

NO Training.

#19 ·
Wide Open....

Then can you find what is needed for a Trailer under 3,000 pounds.

I bet the only thing in State Code is for lights and that is all.

Can anyone build one in Ohio?

Does anybody inspect them ?

What does the inspection check?

What size hitch?? 1 7/8 2 or 2/58.

are you aware that in Virginia you can cut a pick up in half
then weld on a hitch and call it a trailer and guess what??

It's legal.

#20 ·
For what it's worth .. these discussions have been a help to me, and hopefully to others as well.

You guys convinced me that I need both safety chains and a brakeaway system on my new goose neck trailer.

I've always built my own trailers. They were all regular rear hitch type trailers and they all had electric brakes ( if they were big enough ) and safety chains.

I built my first goose neck about 4 years ago. It was only 14 foot long to haul my 6,000 pound Lindeman crawler to shows.
In looking around at other goose neck trailers , I noticed that most of them didn't have safety chains.
So I didn't put any on that goose neck trailer.

Now I needed a larger trailer that would carry a much heavier load so I sold my old goose neck trailer and built a new one.

I wasn't going to bother with safety chains on this new trailer untill I started participating in some of the threads on this site.

I quickly became convinced that I should put both safety chains and a brakeaway system on my new goose neck trailer.

Sure .. the chances of a goose neck ever breaking loose are very slim.
... ( You ever see one break loose ? .. Neither have I. ) ...

But what if it did??????

So I want to thank you guys ( and gals ) for helping me and maybe you've helped others also. .. Ray

#21 ·
Dear Ray......... I have the pictures showing a goose neck trailer comming unhiched!!

Dear Ray!!!

I have the pictures from a fire truck company responding to one...

I will post the pictures tonight about 2 a.m. I will have it on the OFFENDING PIC... PAGE AND I WILL TITLE IT loose gooseneck trailer.

If you want I can send them to you before I post it.

Ron

#22 ·
Dear Ray!!!

I have the pictures from a fire truck company responding to one...

I will post the pictures tonight about 2 a.m. I will have it on the OFFENDING PIC... PAGE AND I WILL TITLE IT loose gooseneck trailer.

If you want I can send them to you before I post it.

Ron
Hi Ron

Post it.

I've never seen one break loose and most every one will say that a goose neck can't break loose, but people need to know that IT CAN HAPPEN.

Thanks .. Ray

#24 ·
Here is the link for the Gooseneck Trailer Accident

http://www.byronfire.com/calls/webpage/2004f.htm

I noticed that both the truck and trailer went over the car and the trailer did not brake loose from the truck until it hit a tree.

That certainly say something about the super strength of goose neck hitches.

That trailer would still be attached to the truck if it had not hit the tree after going over the car.

I'm not sure a regular trailer would have stayed attached going over the car. .. Ray

#25 ·
That is a serious accident for sure. I have seen a couple of big time accidents where the gooseneck trailer smashed up the cab and one where the truck and trailer where bounced into a overpass pylon by a semi and the gooseneck didn't break loose. Goosenecks are generally much stronger and therefore safer to tow with than tag-alongs because of the thicker materials used in their construction. Stupid people can make anything unsafe though.

#26 ·
This just happend..........

Motorcyclist Killed In Dover Crash

ADVERTISEMENT

TBO Staff Report

Published: March 1, 2008

DOVER - A motorcyclist died after his Harley Davidson slammed into a trailer being pulled by a pick-up truck last night.

Jimmy McIntosh, 38, was taken to Lakeland Regional Medical Center where he later died, the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office reported.

The crash happened about 5 p.m. at McIntosh and Tom Gallagher roads.

According to the sheriff's office, the pick-up truck was headed south on McIntosh and slowed to make a left turn. As it was turning, McIntosh ran into the utility trailer the truck was pulling.

The truck driver, Christopher West, 50, of Louisiana, was not injured. He was cited for a right-of-way violation.
Reader Comments

Posted by ( Bulldog ) on March 1, 2008 at 8:14 a.m. ( Suggest removal )

The worst you get for turning left into oncoming traffic is a "right-of-way violation?" That is absurd. Many drivers pulling trailers forget they have extra apparatus behind them but they pull out into traffic anyway. Traffic having the right-of-way must slam their brakes because the idiot thinks he's cleared the road but still has 14 feet of trailer behind him blocking traffic. At least add "moron" to the citation.

Report Abuse

Posted by ( kmspots ) on March 1, 2008 at 8:33 a.m. ( Suggest removal )

If the cyclist would have been a passenger in the truck w/trailer and the driver violated a right of way and the passenger killed, then he would face charges of vehicular manslaughter. No justice for the cyclist. My condolences to his family.

Report Abuse

Posted by ( llk ) on March 1, 2008 at 9:16 a.m. ( Suggest removal )

RIP Rider.

If the man hauling the trailer was at fault a simple citation is a bunch of BS. To add icing to the cake, the guy isn't even from here. So sad

Report Abuse

Posted by ( anymouse ) on March 1, 2008 at 9:31 a.m. ( Suggest removal )

ever hear of defensive driving?

Report Abuse

Posted by ( loneal77 ) on March 1, 2008 at 9:57 a.m. ( Suggest removal )

My heart goes out to the family. Yes the truck driver was at fault and was careless in the mistake he made. Lets remember this was an accident, not intentional. So while a small fine may seem unjustified the guilt he will have to live with is far greater. We has human must learn to accept accidents happen and people make mistakes. Again, my heart goes out to the family of the gentelman that died. This is my opinion and I hope you respect that as I do all of yours....

Report Abuse

Posted by ( DoodleBugg ) on March 1, 2008 at 10:12 a.m.

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

Posted by ( DoodleBugg ) on March 1, 2008 at 10:13 a.m.

Posted by ( DoodleBugg ) on March 1, 2008 at 10:14 a.m.

Posted by ( DoodleBugg ) on March 1, 2008 at 10:15 a.m. ( Suggest removal )

you people are flat out sad.............

Report Abuse

Posted by ( DoodleBugg ) on March 1, 2008 at 10:19 a.m.

Posted by ( DoodleBugg ) on March 1, 2008 at 10:21 a.m. ( Suggest removal )

and all you Mark Lundsford worshiping pieces of crap.......
when it comes out the Truck Driver was NOT at fault........we'll see if you chime in then....

Report Abuse

Posted by ( DoodleBugg ) on March 1, 2008 at 10:22 a.m. ( Suggest removal )

and before you start your cakeholes running ...........I RIDE A MOTORCYCLE

Report Abuse

Posted by ( depdad ) on March 1, 2008 at 10:22 a.m. ( Suggest removal )

To kmspots: Vehicular manslaughter is not charged if it's just a civil violation like this one. It's extremely unfortunate that someone was killed as a result of this failure to yield. Unless the State Attorney's Office upgrades this incident to a criminal infraction instead of a civil one, there will be no vehicular manslaughter. It's a very sad situation, none the less.

Report Abuse

Posted by ( New_Business_Owner ) on March 1, 2008 at 10:29 a.m. ( Suggest removal )

Very mature DoodleBugg, very mature.

Report Abuse

Posted by ( smmarkfan ) on March 1, 2008 at 11:03 a.m. ( Suggest removal )

Condolences to all involved.
I have mixed feeling when it comes to vehicle accidents that end in a death. It is a darn shame, of that there is no doubt. However, it is an "ACCIDENT". Unless there are mitigating circumstances, (IE. intoxication, willful disregard of traffic laws, etc.), I see no reason to charge someone with a crime. Accidents happen.
This being the case, I will not attempt to pass judgment here as all of the facts have not been presented. I cannot imagine how the driver of the truck must
have felt when he realized the motorcyclist was dead/gravely injured. It must have been horrifying!
Remember folks, this could happen to any one of you. If your child/spouse/parent/friend was involved in an accident that killed someone, would you not be supportive, soothing, understanding, even defensive? How about showing a little humanity (read CLASS) here?
I personally have been involved in a motorcycle vs. car accident. I was on the bike, and it was completely my fault. I was very lucky not to be injured, and the poor lady I hit (who was sitting at an intersection with her signal on waiting to make a left turn) was absolutely DISTRAUGHT & OVERWHELMED with concern for me.
That having been said... PLEASE WATCH OUT FOR MOTORCYCLES. We don't stand a chance against 2+ tons of metal. And for fellow motorcyclists... RIDE CAREFULLY ON THE STREETS. You don't stand a chance against 2+ tons of metal!

Report Abuse

Posted by ( mrwright ) on March 1, 2008 at 11:21 a.m. ( Suggest removal )

So did the driver of the truck and trailer turn in front of the on coming biker or did the biker run into the back of the trailer?
Either way, you can bet there will a civil lawsuit over this deal...

Report Abuse

Posted by ( DoodleBugg ) on March 1, 2008 at 11:26 a.m. ( Suggest removal )

very well said (smmarkfan)..

Report Abuse

Posted by ( DoodleBugg ) on March 1, 2008 at 11:28 a.m.

Posted by ( KatB ) on March 1, 2008 at 11:52 a.m. ( Suggest removal )

Accidents may be just that, an accident. Unfortunately too many of us are just not paying attention to what we are doing while driving. We talk, eat, change CD's all while speeding, abruptly changing lanes and turning without signaling.

I'm sure the driver found at fault in this accident will be fined severely in the civil lawsuit but still, maybe laws SHOULD be stiffer.

I had a narrow miss myself a couple of weekends ago while on my Harley when a minivan turned right into my lane of travel without stopping. By the grace of God I narrowly missed, even then, only because I was paying attention, not because most of the drivers of vehicles do.

Think about your driving folks. It may save a life.

Kat

Report Abuse

Posted by ( smmarkfan ) on March 1, 2008 at 11:53 a.m. ( Suggest removal )

Thank you DoodleBugg. By the way, I suggested all of your idiotic, abusive comments for removal. Perhaps you could learn a thing or two from my comments and writing style. (Just a suggestion...)

Report Abuse

Posted by ( rpagan1 ) on March 1, 2008 at 12:11 p.m. ( Suggest removal )

Censorship blows!!! I would have liked to have read doodlebugg's comments, and then decide for myself if he makes sense or is an idiot. But now I'll never know.
As far as the crash goes, if the truck turned in front of the bike when the bike was right up on him...then the truck driver screwed up bad. But if the truck driver had time to turn and the bike didn't slow down anticipating that there might be a trailer, or a reason that the truck could not clear the road in time, then the motorcyclist was not being very observant. I ride a 2006 suzuki hayabusa...one of the most powerful and fastest sportbikes on the planet. But on the streets, I ride as if every car, truck , pedestrian, even other motorcycles, are all trying to kill me. I leave as much space as possible between me and other vehicles. I assume that the the car in the next lane can't see me, or is about to turn in front of me. I ride very defensively. I don't stunt or ride recklessly. I do occassionally speed a little bit, but not in traffic. I am not the perfect rider, but I'm still alive and accident free after 20 plus years of riding. It's easy to always blame the car or truck, it's harder to accept that as riders, we share the responsibility of safe driving. My condolences to the families of all involved.

Report Abuse

Posted by ( lolafalala ) on March 1, 2008 at 12:13 p.m. ( Suggest removal )

Smmarkfan: Obviously you didn't read the story. The truck driver was cited for a right of way violation so this would be considered "willful disregard of traffic laws". Maybe you suffered some dane bramage when you hit the car. Just because you were at fault doesn't mean this guy was.

Report Abuse

Posted by ( DoodleBugg ) on March 1, 2008 at 12:19 p.m.

Posted by ( denmar ) on March 1, 2008 at 12:42 p.m. ( Suggest removal )

It's unfortunate that motorcyclists get the short end of the stick when a crash happens, whether it be their fault or not. That's the chance they take every day when they get on a bike I guess. Precisely why I don't ride one.

Doodlebugg...I'm sure others appreciate your dining suggestions on here, but I'll stick with food, thanks. You can have my share.

Report Abuse

Posted by ( InAtlanta ) on March 1, 2008 at 1:21 p.m. ( Suggest removal )

There is so much information to this story that is missing. Was the motorcycle speeding? Was alcohol/drugs involved with either driver? If the driver of the truck was cited for a right-of-way violation, did he turn into the path of the oncoming motorcycle which broadsided his trailer? Or was the motorcycle also traveling south and the truck/trailer did not make the left turn quick enough and the motorcycle hit the back of the trailer? I hope TBO will post more facts.

Report Abuse

Posted by ( icebrkr ) on March 1, 2008 at 2:27 p.m. ( Suggest removal )

If it were a sport bike involved, it would have been the motorcycle riders fault and witnesses would have claimed to have seen him going 180mph.. Yadda yadda! Cagers just don't give a crap what happens, they switch lanes because they feel like it-- with out even looking. No turn signal or anything. They're worse than motorcycle riders in and out of traffic. I was run off the road by a lady who didn't even look in her mirror. She just kept coming over into my lane until I ended up on the grass. I ride defensively. Always thinking someone is out to hit me. LOOK TWICE! Before changing lanes or turning left across traffic.

Report Abuse

Posted by ( chuckhill ) on March 1, 2008 at 4:44 p.m. ( Suggest removal )

Congratulations, DoodleBug. I think you set a record. Even if you are intellectualy-challenged.

Report Abuse

Posted by ( mountainman104 ) on March 1, 2008 at 5:32 p.m. ( Suggest removal )

thanks for all the comments, i pray that none of you ever have to live thru the loss of a love one because of a mistake someone makes. the rider was my son.

Report Abuse

Posted by ( Seawolf ) on March 1, 2008 at 5:54 p.m. ( Suggest removal )

The problem today is that people assume driving a vehicle is thier right instead of a privilege.
And they think they are bullet proof.

Prayers to you and your family Mountainman. Sorry for your loss.

Report Abuse

Posted by ( Hernando ) on March 1, 2008 at 5:59 p.m. ( Suggest removal )

If the truck driver had been a teenager, and the victim a senior citizen, he would have been charged with vehicular manslaughter. It has happen MANY times before.
I and my cousin were victims of a senile driver in which the seniles wife died. He only got a $54 ticket. (He had to have assistance to see where to sign the ticket.) In the same intersection one week after my crash, a teen boy turned in front of a 70 year old man. the old man died. The boy spent a year in jail. Justice?? In Florida?? A JOKE!!!

Report Abuse

Posted by ( SOMETHINKS2 ) on March 2, 2008 at 12:14 a.m. ( Suggest removal )

According to the sheriff's office, the pick-up truck was headed south on McIntosh and slowed to make a left turn. As it was turning, McIntosh ran into the utility trailer the truck was pulling.
I AM SO SORRY FOR THIS MAN AND HIS FAMILY BUT READ THE CAPTION AGAIN I BELIEVE HE RAN INTO THE TRILAER

Report Abuse

Posted by ( kmspots ) on March 2, 2008 at 2:33 a.m. ( Suggest removal )

Sometinks2 - Guess Again. "The truck driver, Christopher West, 50, of Louisiana, was not injured. He was cited for a right-of-way violation."

He did run into the traler, WHEN IT PULLED IN FRONT OF HIM. Read the story.

Report Abuse

Posted by ( ABBY_914 ) on March 2, 2008 at 2:35 a.m. ( Suggest removal )

Many years ago up North, a friend was killed while riding his motorcycle. A young man made a right turn from the far left lane, while our friend was in the center lane going straight. His wife, then 7 months pregnant was devestated.

None of us were there, nor do we know the circumstances, or the speeds of either driver.

People chill...a life was lost, a family and friends mourn and the driver and occupants of the other vehicle are going to live with this for a long time to come.

Priorities.

Report Abuse

Posted by ( wfin2004 ) on March 2, 2008 at 8:38 a.m. ( Suggest removal )

anymouse- Your comments show your ignorance and your IQ. "Ever heard of defensive driving" is the most idiotic statement one could make regarding a motorcycle and someone who turns in front of him.

Why don't you just not post if all you can do is show stupidity?

Report Abuse

Posted by ( Desmo ) on March 2, 2008 at 10:15 a.m. ( Suggest removal )

I ditto RPagan1's comments exactly. RIP rider.

Report Abuse

Posted by ( jeremysgma ) on March 2, 2008 at 3:01 p.m. ( Suggest removal )

To Jimmy's parents - all our sympathy
and love go out to you. Jimmy and my
son played soccer together many years ago and I know the worst thing that could happen to me would be losing my son. It doesn't matter who's at fault -
parents, family and friends have lost an
important person in their lives. God
Bless - Lory Henderson and son Scott McColm

Report Abuse
Post a comment

(Requires free registration.)

User name:

Password:

(Forgotten your password?)

Comment:

Weekly Deals | Write to the editor | Subscribe/two weeks free | Place an Ad
Email ThisEmail Print ThisPrint AddThis Social Bookmark Button

ADVERTISEMENT
Most Viewed

* Sex Charges Against Actor Dropped
* Hillsborough County Fire Chief Facing Assault Charge
* Victim In Strip Club Shooting Dies
* Kidnapped Girls Found, Suspects Still At large
* Toddler's Elmo Doll Makes Death Threats, Family Says

Your Weather
Community Calendar

Search Events:
Your Photos

Latest Galleries

I-4 Crashes

by tbostaff

2008 Gasparilla Parade

by tbostaff
SNAP! Photos

Join the photo community and start uploading your pictures today.

Also In TBO.com

* News
* Weather
* Entertainment
* Sports
* Life

* Jobs
* Cars
* Homes
* Shopping
* Classifieds

Advertisement

Advertise With Us:
Online | In Print | Broadcast

#27 · (Edited)
I will post this on my web site tonight......

Yet we keep getting these types of accidents.

Why is this happening............. Lack of education........What if
this horse trailer hit a car??? and killed someone???

It is a 3 to 4 thousand pound missle..........

Horse Trailer Accident
Posted Sunday, March 2, 2008 ; 10:40 PM
Updated Sunday, March 2, 2008 ; 11:50 PM

Watch Story Video
No injuries; horse not harmed

BARBOURSVILLE -- A traffic slowdown for drivers on Interstate 64 after a trailer comes loose from a truck.

It happened just after seven Sunday evening near the Merritt's Creek exit of the westbound lanes of Interstate 64.

The trailer got loose trapping a horse inside. Crews had to remove the top of the trailer to get to the horse out. No one was hurt and the horse was unharmed. Traffic was tied up for awhile as crews worked on removing the trailer.

Copyright 2008 West Virginia Media. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Go here to see the video again this will be on my site tonight.
http://wowktv.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=35530

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.