Towing Capacity - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Other Topics > Truck Uses
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Truck Uses Discuss the many practical uses for our trucks including towing, hauling, trailering, off-roading, snow plowing, and anything else that comes to mind.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2008, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
ABQFirefighter
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Towing Capacity

Ok guys, probably beating a dead horse to death and I have been sifting through searched topics for an hour or so.

I have a 2007.5 LMM CC/SB 4WD. What is my trucks actual weight (or average) vs the GVWR? This will dictate my cargo rating or pin weight capacity, right? Also, what is the max weight I can pull for a 5th wheel? I just read confliciting info between here and the owner's manual, which isn't very clear. I've heard 15,400 and 14,200. Reason I'm asking is that I'm looking to upgrade the 5'er and want to go a little bigger. Thanks in advance.

See the garage for pics of the toys and the old rides......

New Mexico DP club member #13
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2008, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
OldSoldier
Diesel Boss

The tow weight is very clear...check the manual, all you get here is opinions. As for the actual weight of your truck...get the cargo capacity off the Tire and Loading Information sticker located on the left rear door or door post. Subtract that weight from your GVWR of 9200 and you'll have your truck weight. Your cargo capacity will only be around 23/2400.

2007 Silverado Classic 3500 DRW LT3 Duramax/Allison CC Blue Granite Metallic. Dually Club #360.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2008, 12:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
bonshawman
Diesel Starter

ABQ:

I have always taken my truck(s) with full fuel, normal gear and me, and weighed them. That also lets you know what weight is actually resting on each axle. That way, if you hook up a trailer and weigh, you'll see the change in your front, the change in your rear, and also get the weight of the empty trailer.

Transfer also has a lot to do with no only, of course, the weight of your trailer, but also the placement of its forward-most axle. The distance between your drive axle on the truck and that forward axle on the trailer is the bridge. The further aft the trailer axles, the more weight transfers to the pin.

Also, having the empty weight of your truck, and then your truck/trailer combo, will tell you how much added weight (gear, etc) & cargo you can put in the trailer.

The rear axle on your truck has a rating, as do the tires. For fun, your decal should list the rear axle rating. Add up your two rear tire ratings and see how that reflects against the axle rating. You are only as good as your weakest link.

So, if you weigh your truck, and you know that the rear axle is rated for, say 7,000# and the unladen rear axle weight is, say, 5800#, that allows 1,200# for either cargo, or pin weight. Your pin will transfer a smaller portion to your front axle, and the larger portion to your rear axle (closest to the pin - makes sense). On my one ton hooked up to my 25', it was 19% to the rear, 6% to the front, just as an example.

So, even if you allowed for a 25% transfer ALL to the REAR, and you knew you had 1,200# "available" in my "example", you could have a 4,800# trailer. 4,800# less 25% to the pin = 3,600 on the trailer axles. This is just an example, not indicative of your truck or any trailer weights. etc. But say the transfer, due to axle placement, was only 15%.
Now your trailer can weigh in at 8,000#, less 15% to the truck (1,200#) leaves 6,800# on the trailer axles/tires. So a lot can change due to the ACTUAL transfer, and the only way I know to determine the ACTUAL transfer is to weigh the truck, then weigh the truck & trailer.

If you determine what capacity you could have and be within your ratings, and you felt confident enough in what some sale person represented as the transfer, and felt that was within your rating, then I guess you write the check.

'05 Military LSSV, Chev 3500 DRW, 6.6 LLY, Ally, 4x4 (A/C, cruise, tilt, CD & cup holders!) Emergency Response Team vehicle

'07 Freightliner/Sprinter Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser RV w/Mercedes diesel

Many toys:
'54 GM bus/RV, '70 Pete RV/toy hauler, 4x4 fire truck, Crown Vic, 1954 street rod, 1949 travel trailer, 25' & 45' equipment trailers, 44' enclosed toy hauler w/RV section, 1942 GPW (Army), Rhino ATV, 130#+ Rotweiller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2008, 12:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
hondarider552
Diesel Prodigy

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hondarider552

bonshawman:
nice write up. very clear

06LBZ SC/LB-Has it's engine

2014 Chevy Cruze 2.0 TD DD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in