Fifth wheel slider hitch?? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Other Topics > Truck Uses
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Truck Uses Discuss the many practical uses for our trucks including towing, hauling, trailering, off-roading, snow plowing, and anything else that comes to mind.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 11:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
LMMJoe
High Compression

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to LMMJoe

Fifth wheel slider hitch??

I need to get a fifth wheel hitch i have a 2007.5 2500 cc short box LLM on the way I have never had a fifth wheel hitch and need some info on what kind of hitch i should buy. I assume that i will need a slider with short box but is it nessasary to get a fully automatic one or can i make do with a manual slider? I really dont want to drop $2k for a hitch. But if it is going to save me from damaging my truck i will. Just wanted some feed back from some people that have experience with different kinds of hitches. Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2007, 03:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Waggie
Diesel Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Waggie

when they put mine in about a month ago, the rv dealer suggested a Reese dual pivot slider. It si rated for 16k and said that unless you are going to unpinning an pavement all the time it would be the best one. I've already had to use the slider on it an dit is simple to operate. He also mentioned that they put the rails in cross wise in the box because in the next year or so any that running lengthwise will have to be changed due to dot regs. I'm not sure if that goes for the US as well. The reese dual pivot was about 1200 bucks. Jope this he;ps.

2011 GMC Sierra SLT 3500HD CCSB 4x4 - LML,Truxedo tonneau cover,275-70-18 Goodyear DuraTracs,Armourthane Spay in boxliner(over the rail),4inch Rancho Suspension Lift, Recon smoked cab lights, 6000k HID's, Ride Rite airbags w/ onboard air,color matched mirrors

2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD - GFX edition - Mama's new BLING

36ft Open Range Roamer 367BHS
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2007, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
dmaxfan
Diesel Expert

My rv salesman recommended uhaul. I got mine put in there because if something ever happens, uhauls are everywhere. I dropped right at 1100 on mine installed with trailer brake. Mine is a valley https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/gar...?do=big&p=2064
2006 2500 HD LBZ 4x4 GMC Sierra CC White LT3, 6" BDS-Sold at 58,000 miles
2004 2500 HD LB7 4x4 GMC Sierra Ext. Cab Sport Red Metallic -Sold at 72,380 miles
2005 33LX Cardinal Fifthwheel
2008 700 EFI EPS Yamaha Grizzly Ducks Unlimited edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
racechaser1
Glow Plug

I just installed the Pullrite SuperGlide 16K auto slide hitch in my new short bed LMM. The installation was a snap, check my garage for pics of the hitch. I bought the hitch used from a local guy who advertised it on Craigslist.com and he even delivered the hitch to my house for $800. The under the bed rails came with the hitch but they were from a Dodge truck. I sent them back to Pullrite and they sent me brand new Chevy brackets at N/C. Pullrite couldnt be easier to deal with . They also have a custom made pin box adapter for the 5er which goes over the pin and mounts with set screws on my Lippert 1621 pin box. No more drilling or welding of the pin box is needed. The true advantage of the SuperGlide is that you can never froget to slide the hitch when backing. On the manual hitches, you have to get out of the truck and slide the hitch before completing your tight turn. I have a friend that has a 37 ft Montana with a short bed and no slider. His 5er has beveled corners on the RV so they never come in contact with the rear window of the truck. With his previously owned 5er, he actually blew out his rear window out when backing up.

Pace Edwards Jack Rabbit Cover, Westin Sure Grip Steps, Air-Lift,Bilsteins, Husky Mud Flaps, Enkay Rock Tamer
2007 Cedar Creek 34 SATS 5th wheel RV -
Pullrite Super Glide 16 K Hitch with MorRyde
(2) Honda EU 2000i generators
Xantrex Inverter
Old 04-24-2007, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Eng34FF
Gear Grinder

I had a Reese manual slider (appears to be the same as Waggie) installed a year ago and have no complaints. I've only really needed to slide it maybe once, but I've gotten in the habit of sliding it whenever I'm backing up. For me, I don't see the need to spend the extra money on an automatic sliding hitch.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
MAGNUM06
Diesel Apprentice

I run the BW hitch with the companion 5th wheel attachment. No slider,no problems. Pull a 30' Artic Fox, hitch is solid as a rock.
MBRP DUAL EXAUST,6" BLACK CHROME TIPS,BLOCKER PLATE,FINGER STICK
FREDERICO SWAY BARS,ULTRA BED LINER,B & W HITCH
MAG TECH COVERS DIFF. & TRANNY,WESTIN SS BULL,NERF BARS:
Old 04-24-2007, 08:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
duramaxguy04

I highly recommend the Superglide automatic hitch. I have over 15,000 miles towing my 5th wheel with this hitch and love it. The cost of the hitch is far cheaper than repairing the front of your coach and the back of your truck. Just my two cents worth....
Old 04-24-2007, 10:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
LMMJoe
High Compression

Send a message via AIM to LMMJoe

I found a used pullrite super glide 16k with mounting hardware from a 2003 GMC 2500HD will that hardware work on my new body style 2007.5 LMM?
Old 04-24-2007, 11:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Frozen Tundra
Diesel Head

Armed Forces Club Member

I have a Reese 16k slider and bought it new for around 900 bucks. I have an extended pin box on my fifth wheel and have not had to use the slide feature.

Hayward, WI - Home of World Class Events
American Birkebeiner
Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival
World Lumberjack Championships
World Class Musky Waters
Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame
http://picasaweb.google.com/Dan54843
Old 04-24-2007, 11:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
haulin-rv
Diesel Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waggie;1738785;
when they put mine in about a month ago, the rv dealer suggested a Reese dual pivot slider. It si rated for 16k and said that unless you are going to unpinning an pavement all the time it would be the best one. I've already had to use the slider on it an dit is simple to operate. He also mentioned that they put the rails in cross wise in the box because in the next year or so any that running lengthwise will have to be changed due to dot regs. I'm not sure if that goes for the US as well. The reese dual pivot was about 1200 bucks. Jope this he;ps.
Never have seen rails mounted longways. Anyway, just about every truck I have seen with smashed bed rails had a reese hitch, I just do not like the the way they lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxfan;1738993;
My rv salesman recommended uhaul. I got mine put in there because if something ever happens, uhauls are everywhere. I dropped right at 1100 on mine installed with trailer brake. Mine is a valley https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/gar...?do=big&p=2064
After seeing how there mechanics maintain there equipment, I'll pass on having them touch my truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eng34FF;1739050;
I had a Reese manual slider (appears to be the same as Waggie) installed a year ago and have no complaints. I've only really needed to slide it maybe once, but I've gotten in the habit of sliding it whenever I'm backing up. For me, I don't see the need to spend the extra money on an automatic sliding hitch.
First time you forget, you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramaxguy04;1739984;
I highly recommend the Superglide automatic hitch. I have over 15,000 miles towing my 5th wheel with this hitch and love it. The cost of the hitch is far cheaper than repairing the front of your coach and the back of your truck. Just my two cents worth....
BEST WAY TO GO!!!

I run a Husky (same as valley) 24k. Paid $900 otd installed.

2002 Sterling Acterra, Allison 6 speed, Cat, 42" bunk

Gone and MISSED daily!!
2006 Chevy LT Crew Cab Dually, 2wd, LBZ, 6 speed Allison
Member #231 Dually Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in