Is there a use for a short bed dually?

• Short bed dually would be a great additional

Votes: 48 37.8%
  • Totally useless

Votes: 79 62.2%

Did GM skip a configuration?

8K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  oldbrownsierra 
#1 · (Edited)
I was drooling over the new features and specs of the 2011 trucks. But after doing further reading, one configuation seems to be missing. Am I the only person that thinks there is a real use for a short bed (6.5 ft) dually? I tow a considerable amount and would like the additional safety that comes from extra tires on the rear axle. I pull a Heartland fifth wheel with my short bed 2500HD now and have not wished for a longer bed. A long bed truck is just too long for my garage and seems to fit fewer places. A short bed model would seem ideal for persons that pull horse trailers, as these don't generally need the additional clearance between the hitch and cab like many fifth wheel trailers use.

Does anyone agree?

Attachments

#2 ·
I think re-sale could have been a consideration?

#3 ·
I think Ford and Dodge has made them in the past. I have only seen a few out there so if they had high sale numbers I think GM would have made them. It seems that GM will sell a lot of the 3500 SRW Short Beds though.

#5 ·
I remember seeing a few CCDRW that seemed to be around the late 90's

#6 ·
That has been a missing configuration since at least '01. Pointless, if you ask me. Ever tried towing a 5th wheel with a 2500 SB? Without a slider, your back window won't last long.....same idea here.

#10 ·
I tow a 25ft 5th wheel with my short bed with out a slider, if you careful you have nothing to worry about.

#7 ·
Am I the only person that thinks there is a real use for a short bed (6.5 ft) dually?
yes. :) :p:

GM has made them in the past (99-00? old body style); ford did too. I think ive seen 1 GM short bed dually in my entire life and 3 short bed ford dually's.

With how much it would cost to tool up/make stamping dies for short bed dually bed sides etc its not even CLOSE to being cost effective for GM seeing as how many they would sell (practically none)

ben

#8 ·
There are quite a few short bed Ram Megacab dually's running around. And Dodge's short bed is only 6'4" compared to GM's 6'6" and Ford's 6'8".

What makes that particular Dodge truck totally pointless is not the fat a$$/short bed combo but the fact it's GVWR is only 10,500LBS. That leaves about 800-1000lbs pin weight when loaded up with 4/5 passengers (the whole point of an Megacab)

#9 ·
I know what configuration GM skip, a duramax suburban !:mad:

#12 ·
I had a 99 short bed crew cab 2-wheel drive dually. It was a neat truck with the 454. Milage was terrible but I got a lot of comments on it.

#13 ·
Saw a 2010 ford shortbox dually yesterday. I see shortbox dually's all the time around here. A shortbox dually would have plenty of uses and I would think about buying one. I hate it when people say they are useless because the box is a whopping foot and a half shorter.

#15 ·
I can't seem to find the answer. Is GM gonna offer a 3500HD CC LTZ shortbed and/or 3500HD CC LTZ Dually shortbed

#17 ·
3500 cc/sb SRW, yes.

3500 cc/sb dually, no.

#16 ·
You haven't been able to get a SB in a one ton in any confirguration from GM since 1999.

#23 · (Edited)
Yes know that but, thanks. My question was are they "gonna" offer not "do" they offer a 3500 SB. I was looking for some clarification on the matter of the 2011 SB 3500HD. Thanks DURAtotheMAX.

#21 ·
But MANY people pull a 5er with a 6'6" bed. As for goosenecks, a 6'6" bed is plenty enough, they'll even work on a 5'6" bed.

#24 ·
I would look into a crew cab-short bed dually. With a gooseneck, the bed can be 4' long, it doesn't matter how short it is. I would enjoy having one. Extra capacity of a dually, but with a shorter bed. They are hard enough to park anyway

#26 ·
Cant think of any use for a short bed dually,I think they look strange and defeat the whole purpose.

What we do need is a single cab short bed Dmax. Id buy one!

#30 ·
General Motors isn't allowed to make a dually short bed. Obama said so.I always thought the Dodge 3500 MegaCab shorties looked OK. I actually liked their little round fender flares...like the old Dodge duallys had. Some of these new duallys and their MASSIVE (for looks plus) fenders are too over the top for me.

#31 · (Edited)
I got cut off by a F350 CC SB dually on the weekend. Looked like a POS. It also didn't have a rear bumper and the pass dually fender had a shake to it. So maybe I am biased. Other than turning, there is nothing not to like about a long box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.