Diesel Place banner

The Ultimate Door Thread

8K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  mattthebrat 
#1 ·
I have seen many questions asked about taking apart these doors, so as long as I had an extra door to play with, I decided to do a write up on it!!
If there is anything I missed or didn't explain enough, feel free to ask me or correct me.

Removing The Door Panel

1. Remove the inner handle trim by prying from the inside out, like this:

There are four tabs that hold the bezel on (Red Arrows)

2. Remove the light by prying out on the back and then pulling the light backwards out of the hole.

3. remove the two screws in the armrest:

4. Remove the switch panel by prying up. Be careful of the plug on the mirror switch. Many people forget about the clip(Red Arrow), or just say screw it and break it off.

5. If you have crank windows you will need a crank removal tool. They are about $10 at any auto parts store, or you can build one yourself, like I did.

6. Remove the filler panel by the mirror

7. Pop the plastic clips out, a clip tool may be helpful for this.

There are 9 clips that hold the panel to the door (Red Arrows)

Now just pull up on the panel and push in at the top to release it form the window channel.
And thats it!!

More to come later............

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Removing Inner Door Handle

1. After removing the door panel, drill out the 3/16" rivet (Red Arrow) then slide the handle assembly forward.

2. Remove the clips holding the rods on by sliding them away from the rods and off of the tab. Save the clips for the new handle.

3. Reinstall using either a bolt or a new rivet.

#3 · (Edited)
Outer Door Handle

1. Make sure that the window is all the way up.
There are 2 10mm bolts that hold the handle on.

The inner bolt can be reached without removing the inner door panel, through the hole. (Yellow Arrow)

2. Remove the three Torx screws that hold the latch in place.

3. Pull the handle out, front first. It helps to pull up on the handle (like you are opening the door) to clear the top of the hole.

4. Remove the clips holding the rods on by sliding them away from the rod and off of the tab.

5. On reinstallation make sure that the latch actuator rod is facing the correct way, or it will jam the handle.

#4 ·
Latch

1. Remove the 3 7mm screws holding the plastic vent cover on

2. By rotating the latch 90 degrees it will slide out the vent hole complete with the rods attached.

Mirror

Remove the foam plug covering the mirror bolts.

2. Remove the three 10mm nuts

3. Disconnect the wiring plug

#5 · (Edited)
Inner Door Panel

1. Run the window about half the way down.
I made a connector for running power windows on a door that is off of the vehicle. I cut the plug out of an old wiring harness and put two spade connectors on the end so that it can be connected to a drill battery.

2. Remove the 10 7mm screws (Red Arrows) and 1 10mm bolt (Yellow Arrow)

3. Slide the panel forward and then backwards to release the rollers from the glass track.
You may have to reach in and bend the tabs down on the glass track.

4. Unplug all electrical connectors and pop the wire clips out of the panel.

#6 ·
Removing The Window

1. Remove the second 10mm bolt holding the window track to the door.

2. Tilt the front of the window down and out of the front track, then forward and out of the rear track.

3. Pull the window down and forward at a diagonal to pull it out of the door.

Thats it, now your down to just sheetmetal!!

Good Luck

-Matt-

#7 · (Edited)
Nice thread matt, if anyone has any questions regarding clarification, feel free to ask, I'll leave this open for a little while before I lock it down and add it to the FAQs.

#8 ·
I have a question. I have to replace the inner door handle on my suburban. On the first picture on the inner door handle section it says to drill out the rivets at the red arrows. The top arrow points to the middle of the inner door handle. Do i have to drill through the old handle to get the rivet out? If so how do you install a new handle assembly without drilling a hole into the new assembly to put in a bolt, screw, or rivet?

#9 · (Edited)
The horizontal arrow actually just points the direction that the handle needs to be slid to remove it, there is only one rivet.
I will make that a little clearer, thanks!

Edit: Fixed the picture now!

#10 ·
Thanks!! I may take my door apart tomorrow I dont know.

#12 ·
bump

#13 ·
I think you can lock this up now mods!

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.