Diesel Place banner

DIY - High Idle

72K views 148 replies 55 participants last post by  Boonafide 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Not to long ago I asked TD if he wanted some "DIY" threads to help everyone out, guess what his answer was? :D
Also a recent thread came up, about making high idle "kits"
I'm willing to make them if people want to buy them, just PM me
I have a few "on order" and I'll take a pic of both an OBD1 kit and OBD2 kit once I have em both made up.

With that being said I thought to myself, how will they know how to install this?
Kennedy's instructions are good, but I know that people like pictures, so this is a how to install high idle switches..... or switch on your OBD2 trucks. (What you'll need can be found here if makin your own)

Before unplugging things and pulling things apart, you might want to disconnect your batterys.
I also want to say that I have an OBD2 truck, and it will differ some from an OBD1 truck's installation. if there is anyone around my area with an OBD1, and wants help installin a high idle switch, I'll be more then happy to hook you up with what you need, and do a free install so we can do an OBD1 dedicated high idle with pics of an OBD1 setup. PM me if interested.

Ok, lets start off with the first picture, to make removing the dash easier, I turned the key to on, and pulled the shifter down to first.

2nd pic, if you got a cup holder, you gotta move it.

As you can see in the 3rd pic, I just grab the top of my dash and gently yet firmly pulled it towards myself.

As seen in the 4th and 5th pics, you just pull the dash out enough so you can get your fingers in to remove the cargo lamp switch, as well as the headlight switch/ interior light dimmer (Not shown).

Pic 4

5th pic also shows you how the clip locks in, you gotta press down pretty firmly to get it, try wiggling as you pull.

Now take note in pic 6 of how many silver clips there are and where, this is what holds your dash in, and will make removal and reinstallation easier.

Pic 7, holes made are 1/2 using the switches I used, I picked the area of the dash on the drivers side of the steering wheel, careful using that area though, I got my switches tucked in their so nicely,

(Pic 8) with the housing side by side, I thought it was gonna interfear with the location pin and mount, but that's why careful planing and measuring more then once is done (Told ya I was a custom fabricator :D)

Picture 8 also shows the rubber "dust flap" that I used to route my wires behind the dash where the steering wheel is to keep them hidden.

Picture 9 10 and 11 show you how I ran my lines, and how I hooked the lines under the edge of the gauge cluster to keep everything behind the dash.

Pic 9

In pic 10 that switch you see is for my bumper mounted driving lights.

Pic 11

Pic 12 shows where I ran the line down behind the cup holder and airvent, into the glovebox opening.

In picture 13 there's a plastic "limiting" strap that you have to pull toward yourself while you push back on the glovebox (as if to close it) and then when it slides forward, pull it away from the glovebox.

Pic 14 on the other side of the glove box there is a stopper, just push it on it, then the glove box will come out once you lower it to almost horizontal, then gently pull towards yourself, and it'll come out.

Pic 15 is where the wire comes from behind the cupholder and airvent into the glovebox opening.

Pic 16 shows the PCM in it's stock location,

Pic 17 shows a harness that you should pull out of your way for more room, then grab the PCM and pull back on it to pull it off it's tray,

then angle it as shown in pic 18

and pull it out like shown in pic 19.

The middle connector, is the one we are after as shown in picture 20, to remove the locks you need a little flat screw driver or in my case...a pen (Gf handed it to me... it worked... why complain?)

Pic 20

and you want to remove the one without the big clip on it (as seen in pic 21, big clip is left alone)

Pic 21

The row with the lock with the big clip is row A and the other one with the flat lock is row B, (I'm takin a guess that it all looks the same for OBD1 and OBD2, if not, I'm sorry) Now here is were it gets different for the 2 OBD systems.

OBD2 you can supply 1 or 2 switched grounds to terminals B7 (1170rpm) and/or B8(1360rpm) or you can ground both and get (1600rpms)

OBD1 you supply one switched 12v power source to pin A6(1075rpm)
Going by picture 21, 1 is the far right and 12 is far left.

Pic 22 is a blury pic of the pin connector... Tried to get it... Oh well, Sorry.

Pic 23 is both pins installed, I colour coded my wires so I knew what wire went to what switch (Black is 1070rpm red is 1360rpm)

Pic 24 is with the lock put back in place

Pic 25 is of the wire routed to the PCM put back in it's stock location, to do this, there is a locator pin on the PCM and 2 clips, the pin goes into a hole on the PCM tray, and the clips slide UNDER the tray holdin the PCM in place.

These are the switch to ground wires, I dropped them down beside the steering wheel then I had to undo the screw to the mounting bracket, and replaced the screwafter moving the grounding tabs over the hole as seen in pictures 26 and 27 and that pretty much takes care of that.

Pic 26

Pic 27

Picture 28 shows the switches that I use and will use in my kits.

Now you can turn the key, flick the switch(es) and enjoy your new high idle mod :D

Attachments

See less See more
#105 ·
I used this as a guide, put in just a single switch at the 1300 mark, seems a bit high for florida, so I'll probably repin for the 1050 setting till I can get a decent 2-3 way switch.

I liked how the guy used one of the headlight/AC knobs, that was trick!

#108 ·
94-95 is ObdI and 96+ is ObdII.

#110 ·
What year is your truck? Try filling out your signature like everyone has.

#112 ·
ObdI.

#114 ·
Any time.

#115 ·
Now put it in a signature so you don't have to remember to post it next time. ;)

#117 ·
Click the "User CP" pulldown at the top of the page, and then "Edit Signature".

#122 ·
hey guys quick question do you guys know why a '92 6.5 all mechanical has a form of high idle that is temperature controlled yet is not disengaged by brake or clutch and how would i make it manual

#124 ·
Twil
This thread isn't about mechanical high idle. Search for one that is, or start one.

dakota
Depends on how it was added. Who put a high idle on your truck?

#126 ·
i did follow the wire there one on b7 going to a switch and the other dide of the switch is going to a ground like is supose to be i did change the switch but no luck this is why i was asking after the mod is done it must activate something a relay a selenoid or something my problem has to be there

#127 ·
Without good photos of exactly what you've got, there's no way I can diagnose it. I recommend you pull all that stuff out and re-do it as described in this thread. Did you read the captions of the pics I posted earlier? Here's another link to that album; click this & read the NEXT several:

#128 ·
Those lil pins you crimp the wire to, to plug it into the PCM, where would I buy those? Are they the kind of thing most hardware store have? I have my ground, switch and everything else done just gotta plug into the PCM and replace to glovebox.

#130 ·
Ya I cant seem to get one from anywhere, really annoying to see the switch in the mornings just beggin to be flipped, but not acually being hooked up.

#131 ·
I got a package of them from the dealer a few years ago. It took a while, the parts guy was good about it and looked at a bunch of parts diagrams until we found it, I think they sold 10 connectors for 20 bucks or something like that. He had to order it and came in a few days later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.