MBRP PowerTube dyno,data,info - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Power, Performance & Tuning > Fuel System, Air, Exhaust, & Emissions Upgrades
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Fuel System, Air, Exhaust, & Emissions Upgrades Discuss upgrades to the Duramax fuel system and air system. Bigger turbochargers, more turbo chargers, air boxes, exhaust systems, emissions systems, and fuel pumps all go here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2006, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
briano
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

MBRP PowerTube dyno,data,info

MBRP Powertube Dyno and observations

Just for you guys!! With the help from the folks at MBRP we got some results and honest feedback for this product. Please keep in mind that each truck is different and each owner may experience something different. The power tube is based off the Venturi principal so if you don’t know what that is just do an internet search for it. Tests were done on my 2004.5 LLY Duramax. I have all the mods in my signature.

Installation:
You’ll need a catless 4” front pipe to install this on. Instructions say to cut 5.5” from the catless pipe as close to the front as possible. Tip, before making any cuts get a sharpie and straight edge and draw a line down the side of the front pipe. This will ensure that once you make the cut and install the power tube that the orientation of the pipe is correct since you can line it up again afterwards. Don’t just measure 5.5” front the farthest point on the front pipe or you will have installed it wrong and it won’t seal correctly. I measured the distance from the inner part of the power tube to the edge defining how much of the actual front pipe it will need to seal which is about 2 more inches. I then measured that much down from where the curve straightens out on the front most area and made my marks there to begin cutting. See in the pictures what I’m talking about. I used a miter saw, or table saw to make the cuts. It makes them very clean. I used a dremol tool to smooth the edges and get any and all metal flakes off. I thorough wiped and cleaned the pipe before installation.

Observations:
1. I’ve been running this pipe for weeks now and after removal I noticed just a single minor leak at one of the connector areas, otherwise no leaks were present. You can’t hear it so the only way to really tell is to look for little black marks from sut. Mind you this is from weeks of use and there is only that slight residue which tells me it was a very minor leak and easily could happen to anyone installing it. To prevent any leaks period you may want to have the tube welded on or invest in some connector sleeve clamps instead of the band clamps it comes with. Since it is a slip fit there is always a risk of a minor leak just like any exhaust system that uses slip fits.

2. I noticed that the pitch of the exhaust note is a bit deeper, more rumble so to speak. I had a buddy drive it around the block driving away from me and coming towards me. You can hear it on start up and on acceleration which isn’t a bad thing. It actually has a beefier tone than I was used to with the catless pipe alone. As most of you know I’m kind of anal with my truck so I notice the smallest things and this was just one of them.

3. Again keeping in mind that every truck is different and someone else may have different opinions/results here; I noticed a little bit less turbo whistle on my truck and not as peppy off the line, but it did make more power and torque than the catless pipe alone on the dyno. As you can see on the chart with the same basic ambient temps, humidity, EGT’s, and rpm’s the Power Tube made more horsepower and more torque to the wheels than the plain front pipe. I ran each pipe twice to verify results. These were all with my Edge on level zero, stock. The max psi on each run was 18. I’ve included both dyno plots showing hp/tq and the other one the conditions for the runs. Each run was done with the engine temp around 190-195 to ensure there was no difference in cooler or hotter. I tried to keep all aspects as close to each other as possible.

4. I did do some minor towing while this was installed and acceleration was just fine and smooth. When I say minor I mean my car trailer with a car and a few times moving a ton of furniture. My trailer is about 2.5klbs, car is 3.2klbs and the other times were just heavy furniture. My EGT’s did seem a bit lower, but I can’t verify that with data since I was watching the road at the time and don’t have a way to log that.

My original plan was to get some flow bench results with this pipe, but there are only two flow benches in my area. One is only 600cfm and the other is 1200cfm, but it was backlogged for weeks and I couldn’t get in. The next best thing is a dyno.

All of the dyno numbers shown are low; meaning if you look at the conditions it was HOT. My previous dyno’s were done with 20 degrees less heat and much less humidity. I forgot to add that while each run had max boost of 18 the EGT's were 100 degrees cooler with the Power Tube. The catless pipe was around 1000 degrees and the power tube was around 900.

Oh and removing/installing hot exhaust leaves nice burns on your forearms.

If anyone has any more data to add please do.

[IMG]http://home.***.net/~vdohz/ptube1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://home.***.net/~vdohz/ptube2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://home.***.net/~vdohz/ptube3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://home.***.net/~vdohz/ptube4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://home.***.net/~vdohz/ptube.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://home.***.net/~vdohz/tubedyno.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://home.***.net/~vdohz/conditions.jpg[/IMG]

Raw Data

LLY FAQ, Most Popular Tuner, Most Popular Exhaust, How to Search, Front Pipe Install,
Duramax Engine Pics, Front Pipe vs. Down Pipe Which Engine do I have?? Programmer Comparison Dual Electric Fan Install Online Manuals MBRP Powertube Install and Dyno "True" Downpipe Install

Please create a signature under User CP with year, make, and any mods. This will help us help you.

Last edited by briano; 08-22-2006 at 09:14 PM.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2006, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
THAMAX
Diesel Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to THAMAX

awesome write up briano. front pipe come out pretty easy.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
ZR1160
Diesel Champ

Are they making one for the 5" pipe?

Special Thanks to: Tom @ Finetunning,Brayden @ FPL, Opie @ IE, Nathan @ MPI, Guy @ SoCal, and Bob .
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2006, 09:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
briano
Diesel Veteran

forgot the EGT numbers..updated.

max boost on all runs was 18psi. The powertube had 100 degree lower EGT's at max boost then the catless pipe did.

LLY FAQ, Most Popular Tuner, Most Popular Exhaust, How to Search, Front Pipe Install,
Duramax Engine Pics, Front Pipe vs. Down Pipe Which Engine do I have?? Programmer Comparison Dual Electric Fan Install Online Manuals MBRP Powertube Install and Dyno "True" Downpipe Install

Please create a signature under User CP with year, make, and any mods. This will help us help you.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
briano
Diesel Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1160;1256473;
Are they making one for the 5" pipe?
I have no clue about that. You might PM Mark Craig or MBRP Tech on here.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Trotorx2
Diesel Head

Lone Star Diesels Member

Very good write up Briano, thanks. I wondered if this would do anything.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
ChrisHin
Diesel Starter

Nice write up. I was wondering about those when I ordered my exhuast. Are you going to keep it on your truck?
White 2003 2500HD D/A 4x4 LT Crew Cab, Predator set on 65HP, 4" MBRP 304 SS Exhaust w/front pipe, Isspro Pyro & Boost A-pillar, B&W Turnover Ball, Full Metal Jacket Spray-In-Bed-Liner, Cognito Leveling Kit, Stock keys with T-Bars turned to make truck level, Pitman and Idler support kit, Bilstein shocks all around, Summer wheels/tires: 20x9 Diamo 8 Karat wheels, 33x12.50 Toyo M/T's, Winter wheels/tires: Stock wheels with 285/75/16 Goodyear SilentArmors
Old 08-23-2006, 01:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
dmax4u2nv
Diesel Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by briano;1256744;
forgot the EGT numbers..updated.

max boost on all runs was 18psi. The powertube had 100 degree lower EGT's at max boost then the catless pipe did.
really? measured in the manifold?
2008 Dodge Challenger- Black on black #5816/6400 -for sale

2007 Yamaha R6
Old 08-23-2006, 02:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
THAMAX
Diesel Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to THAMAX

did the powertube change the exhaust drone while towing 4-6k
Old 08-23-2006, 07:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
briano
Diesel Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax4u2nv;1257392;
really? measured in the manifold?
yes, I watched it on the Attiitude display when max boost was hit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread