Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   Fuel System, Air, Exhaust, & Emissions Upgrades (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/3-power-performance-tuning/84-fuel-system-air-exhaust-emissions-upgrades/)
-   -   L5P: Auxiliary Fuel Tank (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/3-power-performance-tuning/84-fuel-system-air-exhaust-emissions-upgrades/975440-auxiliary-fuel-tank.html)

hbcbob3 04-23-2019 12:36 PM

Auxiliary Fuel Tank

I tried searching for this, but to no avail.

I have a 60 gallon RDS fuel tank/tool box combo that I'd like to install in the bed and plumb into my fuel tank. I had heard that this could cause codes on the dual-tanked trucks due to the computer seeing fuel flowing into one tank but not leaving another.

I have a single tank setup on a 2019 3500, and according to the local dealer, this shouldn't cause a problem, but he was not 100% as they hadn't seen it yet.

Anyone out there have a tank rigged up to a new L5P, and how'd you plumb it in? Thanks!

OkDually 04-23-2019 12:49 PM

Thread relocated over to "Fuel System, Air, Exhaust, & Emissions Upgrades"
for better responses

:thumb:

cwq21 04-23-2019 02:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have a 45 gallon aux. tank and solenoid valve on mine and flip the switch inside when I need it and turn it off when I'm full. On my 2003 I just had a manual valve and left it open all the time and after driving ~150 miles my fuel gauge would show empty but once the aux. tank ran empty and my main tank level started dropping the fuel gauge would start showing a level again.

dag4566 04-23-2019 06:53 PM

Same basic setup, no issues on an 2019.

18LP5 04-23-2019 09:55 PM

I've got an RDS 40 gal. tank w/toolbox combo in my 2018 3500 DRW. Originally it was plumbed as a gravity feed into the OEM fuel inlet hose to the OEM tank. I'm still using the same plumbing, but put in an inline fuel pump instead of using a solenoid valve for gravity feed.

I've had this setup for several months with no problems or codes/messages.

jake111 04-24-2019 01:47 AM

I don't have an aux tank, but I'm been on this forum for over 14 years . . .

Discussions on this topic, even years ago, suggested that GM put "sanity" checks in the some of computer programming. So, if you're driving along and the fuel tank is getting fuller . . . insanity!! . . . so it knows something is wrong. To be safe, it would set the fuel gauge to E since it lost confidence in the sensor reporting.

The easy solution is to only transfer fuel when parked (rest area, lunch, etc., when traveling). Or if done while moving, accept that it might complain and set codes and point to E; then just reset (if codes) at some convenient time later, and I would expect the fuel gauge would come back to life, too.

hbcbob3 04-24-2019 12:50 PM

Appreciate the replies!

I had one on my old '07 Dmax, with a pump, without any issues at all. I even plumbed it in through the vent tube instead of the actual filler neck. I just wanted to make sure everything was still legit.

jake111: I never got any "insanity" codes or anything running down the road while filling. That's what I was hoping not to happen with the new trucks either. Looks like the other guys are doing fine with it. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Looks like cwq21 was having this "sanity" issue on his '03.

D_R_C 05-04-2019 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hbcbob3 (Post 9815754)
Appreciate the replies!

I had one on my old '07 Dmax, with a pump, without any issues at all. I even plumbed it in through the vent tube instead of the actual filler neck. I just wanted to make sure everything was still legit.

This IMO this is the better way to plumb thru the vent tube with a T.
Slower transfer, less chance of issues with the fuel gauge.
Just remember to pay attention to the fuel gauge as your transferring, when it hits about 3/4 tank stop the transferring.
It’ll continue to go up a little from there.

I have a RDS 60 gallon aux tank with tool box, electric pump with normally closed solenoid on a switch when running warning light in the cab, powered only when ignition is on.
I recently added a 3mm amber LED flashing light next to my CTS2 on the dash, much easier to see when fuel is transferring, so hopefully I won’t forget.

D_R_C 05-06-2019 11:03 PM

FYI, the idea of having a electric pump and a normally closed solenoid wired inline ign powered is double protection if one was to fail allowing fuel to flow.
This is how most of the shops thatís license to install auxtanks.

heymccall 05-06-2019 11:31 PM

It isn't the gauge going up that's an issue, it's the gauge not going down as expected. This is most common on larger replacement tank installed in the stock tank location.