LBZ: Lift Pump & Filter Options with Nicktane Billet OEM location Adapter w/ Donaldson?? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
 
Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Power, Performance & Tuning > Fuel System, Air, Exhaust, & Emissions Upgrades > Nicktane Filter Questions
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Nicktane Filter Questions Questions/Discussion/Tips for installation & use of Nicktane Filter Kits.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2016, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
EL_Bee_Z07
Gear Grinder
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Lift Pump & Filter Options with Nicktane Billet OEM location Adapter w/ Donaldson??

Hey guys. I recently purchased the Nicktane Billet Filter Adapter Kit and went with the Donaldson P553203 w/ glass bowl in the OEM location.

I'm curious when it comes to lift pumps if it is necessary to get something like:

A -AD II 165 4g with the current Donaldson OEM location filter.

B -Kennedy Twin Pumps pulling from the tank to the OEM location with Nicktane Adapter and Donaldson 553203 into Kennedy Mega Filter kit.

C -Kennedy Twin Pumps changing to the Nicktane Auxillary Kit with a flow of: Tank>Auxillary Kit with 1 Kennedy Pump mounted in place of the first filter pushing through 1 Donaldson 553203 or the new Baldwin that is mounted next to it>downstream to another Kennedy single pump that pushes through the Donaldson in the OEM position.

1)I'm just looking for a staged filter system with lift pump and what configuration people like. The consensus seems to be staged pumps are just the way to go.

2)According to Nicktane's site, the Donaldson filter will flow 100gph. Is this a limiting factor when using these filters combined with lift pumps that flow in the 150-200gph range?

3)My truck is a 2007 CCSB LBZ. I have an S&B intake, PPE downpipe, 5 inch straight pipe magnaflow, transgo jr, pump rub, ProFab delete, Rob's EFI with 150 tune that I don't touch until built trans...

Future plans are either Danville 68 stg2r or SDP 474 over stock, GMax 6 w/ triple disc, moderate injectors, 12 mm stroker pump. End game would be something like 600-650 wheel hp daily driver.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Dan

__________________
2007 GMC 2500HD LBZ Loaded
Offline  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-29-2016, 01:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Aprilwine
Diesel Pro
 
Aprilwine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: N. Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,403
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_Bee_Z07 View Post
Hey guys. I recently purchased the Nicktane Billet Filter Adapter Kit and went with the Donaldson P553203 w/ glass bowl in the OEM location.

I'm curious when it comes to lift pumps if it is necessary to get something like:

A -AD II 165 4g with the current Donaldson OEM location filter.

B -Kennedy Twin Pumps pulling from the tank to the OEM location with Nicktane Adapter and Donaldson 553203 into Kennedy Mega Filter kit.

C -Kennedy Twin Pumps changing to the Nicktane Auxillary Kit with a flow of: Tank>Auxillary Kit with 1 Kennedy Pump mounted in place of the first filter pushing through 1 Donaldson 553203 or the new Baldwin that is mounted next to it>downstream to another Kennedy single pump that pushes through the Donaldson in the OEM position.

1)I'm just looking for a staged filter system with lift pump and what configuration people like. The consensus seems to be staged pumps are just the way to go.

2)According to Nicktane's site, the Donaldson filter will flow 100gph. Is this a limiting factor when using these filters combined with lift pumps that flow in the 150-200gph range?

3)My truck is a 2007 CCSB LBZ. I have an S&B intake, PPE downpipe, 5 inch straight pipe magnaflow, transgo jr, pump rub, ProFab delete, Rob's EFI with 150 tune that I don't touch until built trans...

Future plans are either Danville 68 stg2r or SDP 474 over stock, GMax 6 w/ triple disc, moderate injectors, 12 mm stroker pump. End game would be something like 600-650 wheel hp daily driver.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Dan

Personally, I like option "B". Do you plan on putting the Mega filter after the OEM filterhead?

__________________
2011 Chevy 3500HD, CCSB, LTZ, D/A, 4x4
Line-X Bedliner and Color Matched Rockers, Allison Deep Pan W/Suncoast Filter Lock, Transynd, Kennedy Lift Pumps W/Filter, Cognito Steering Braces & UCA's, Rare Parts Tie Rods, Bilstein 5100's, GM 6" Oval Side Steps sprayed with Line-X Aspart-X, Bushwacker OEM Flares, Nitto Terra Grapplers LT295/70R/18, Snugtop Canopy, Rigid Dually D2's, S&B CAI w/Cold Air Scoop & Donaldson
Powercore Filter, Edge Insight CTS, More to come, Hopefully.
Taupe Gray Metallic.

SOLD- My loaded up 02 2500 Suburban.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 03:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
EL_Bee_Z07
Gear Grinder
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilwine View Post
Personally, I like option "B". Do you plan on putting the Mega filter after the OEM filterhead?
After spending about an hour shooting the **** with John, he's a firm believer of using the OEM filter as the primary and the mega after, so yes.

I literally just came in from installing the nicktane adapter with the Donaldson and waterbowl. A few things I noticed about the kit.

1) The instructions need to be updated and much more elaborate for the many different things that can come up.

2) At least 2 of the Viton replacement O-Rings did not agree with the reassembly of the filter head.

3) Does Nicktane recommend cleaning the filter head when it's removed, and if so what would be the best way?

4) I bought the adapter bundle kit with Donaldson, replacement O-rings, and glass bowl. There isn't one video or detailed instructions I could find, so I sourced from multiple places depending on where I was.

5) I threw a CEL after about 10 mins of driving just like I've seen so many times before. I don't have tune but it was a steady CEL. YES, I did use the correct Donaldson nipple O-RIng, I discarded the smal Spring and ball assembly, and got new clamps for the fuel lines. The pump primed and bled beautifully, no leaks and looked great so I'm just trying to eliminate areas of human error.

**So I had a little trouble reassembling the the filter head, in particular the black centerpiece in regards to how tight it should be. I've seen so many of these installations and so many small variations.

6) Does Nick mention a type or brand he prefers of grease fithe seals?

***Looking at the instructions and in general retrospect, some places where I could have gone wrong:
-I didn't use a drill to secure anything within the kit? Is that piece in regards to the adapter to the filter or the adapter to the OEM head?

7) Is the bowl a common cause for malfunction?

8) If I wanted to upgrade to a 1 micron Nicktane, what supporting hardware or mod must be make!
__________________
2007 GMC 2500HD LBZ Loaded
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-29-2016, 07:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
c20elephant
Diesel Pro
 
c20elephant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Phoenix, Az.
Posts: 2,583
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I installed one on my truck with the Donaldson P553203 and drilled the holes on the outside perimeter a little deeper, not quite deep enough to tighten or remove properly, just me.


3) Not that I know of



5) Did you remove the Viton o-ring installed on the Nicktane prior to installing the o-ring supplied with the Donaldson filter.? Picture on the left and did you retrieve a code as we can't guess what the problem is.?
-

-


6) I have some Parker o-ring seal I used on the adapter to filter head, the other one motor oil is fine.


7) Mine has been installed for over a year and have had no issues and none after the initial install.


8) Still cannot find the specs Nick is referring to for the 1 micron filter, adding a lift pump is plenty.
__________________
~ Mike H ~
2006 EXTENDED CAB LONG BED

Last edited by c20elephant; 01-29-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2016, 08:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
EL_Bee_Z07
Gear Grinder
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by c20elephant View Post
I installed one on my truck with the Donaldson P553203 and drilled the holes on the outside perimeter a little deeper, not quite deep enough to tighten or remove properly, just me.


3) Not that I know of



5) Did you remove the Viton o-ring installed on the Nicktane prior to installing the o-ring supplied with the Donaldson filter.? Picture on the left and did you retrieve a code as we can't guess what the problem is.?
-

-


6) I have some Parker o-ring seal I used on the adapter to filter head, the other one motor oil is fine.


7) Mine has been installed for over a year and have had no issues and none after the initial install.


8) Still cannot find the specs Nick is referring to for the 1 micron filter, adding a lift pump is plenty.
I just wanted to say thank you, specifically to you sir. You were the reason I went with the Donaldson when I did all of my initial research. I think the problem came down to just little things during the rebuild of the filter head. All O-rings were in their appropriate locations and the Donaldson correction to the nipple was made.

I took everything apart and reinstalled it in about half the time. I used all the available Viton rings in the replacement kit, and I removed the water bowl. I could see an immediate difference from the Wix filter that was probably not doing dick at this point in it's life span. The truck just felt better in every way and after a few key cycles the code was gone.
__________________
2007 GMC 2500HD LBZ Loaded
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help $5k deep, 2 shops tagged out and still no love lghall 6.5L Diesel Engine 28 07-06-2016 11:00 AM
first timer 6.5 owner whawk71 6.5L Diesel Engine 95 11-06-2015 04:19 PM
95 6.5 k2500 rescue/build. GA_BOY91 6.5L Diesel Engine 4 10-02-2015 07:33 PM
Serging/hesitation Brock 7654 6.5L Diesel Engine 38 09-24-2015 05:45 PM
6.5L Parts List Green Machine 6.5L Diesel Engine 47 02-27-2015 02:13 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
© AutoGuide