Diesel Place banner

Nitrous?

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  garrett41 
#1 ·
I looked at the thread titles back to 2011, and nothing about nitrous oxide. I put nitrous on my 1984 C-10 diesel, in lieu of a turbocharger, since it was cheaper and easier. My engine is hot enough to spin the rear tires in 1st gear, so I only needed more power at higher speeds, and for brief durations. Sort of the opposite of towing needs, for which a turbo is much better.

I just tell the curious that nitrous is chemical supercharging. Oh yeah, I do have a 4911 pump turned up to turbocharged output, to provide the extra fuel to go with the nitrous. Works like a charm.

#4 ·
It's probably just because nitrous is a bit more of a gasser upgrade.

I used to run a 100hp shot in my Camaro and have a 383 stroker LT1 built for a 2-stage 300hp shot in my Vette.

How are you controlling the nitrous activation? Manully? Or do you have a control box with rpm pills? What RPM range do you use for it? That's probably another big reason for the lack of nitrous use. The usable range would seem to be pretty small on a diesel which only spins up to a little over 3k rpms. I'd be hesitant to have it come much lower than maybe 2500rpms, but I guess you could.

Are you running a wet or dry kit? How big of a shot? Which brand?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.