Diesel Place banner

Propane inj.

LMM: 
2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  marcdeluca 
#1 ·
So, in my previous truck (04 f3fiddy) I had dreamt up a home built propane inj system. I did a bunch of research on other systems, and being in the oilfield/engineering dept, I could get my head wrapped around the set up, and had access to all the parts.
I drive about 100kms to work, before I get onto oilfield roads. So my main goal in this is not horsepower, but incredible mileage. (Ya ok, and more power too :whistle: :ro) )
My set up was: 1 30# bottle mounted in my toolbox. A pressure switch set for 6psi rising (opens 12volt signal above 6psi).Armed by a master switch in the cab. A 12 volt solenoid to flow the propane to the airbox. And a set of regulators staged to end up at ounces of pressure when it fogs into the airbox. And of course stainless 1/2" tubing to get it where I need it to go.
Here's the question, because duramaxes are far more refined engine than those old navistars, and I'm still learning about them, a 09 6.6, DPF delete, and PPE Xcelerator, stock air box. Would I need efi live tuning? Am I cooking up a disaster? What do you d-max gurus think?

#2 ·
You should be fine with the stock tune. I have run LP and CNG on my '04 since new, now has 196,000 with no problems. Six years ago I did a roundtrip of 1550 miles on 24 gal of #2 and 95 gal of LP. If running high substitution ratio, watch for detonation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.