Diesel Place banner

Snow Performance Kits - Anyone have one?

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  RobertWJacobson 
#1 ·
I see the new max-mpg and the max-tow kits. Anyone have these or have any experience. Looking for my 2011 3500HD SRW. I've had a few issues pulling hills with our fifth wheel even when it's cooler outside. I'm assuming it's the temps but since I don't have my gauges on yet I'm not really sure what's going on.

Any experience with these kits would be great.

#2 ·
What issues are you having "pulling hills"? You should be able to keep it floored up a mountain with no issues. Your fifth wheel is pretty light and it should have NO issues. I pulled my 18K fifth wheel with 5 people and camping gear through the rockies and had no problems.

#3 ·
I know I shouldn't have any issues but I am. I pull a much heavier trailer as well. I haven't had it out recently. My first guess is to change the fuel filter. I'm looking at the snow kit for just to help with heavier loads on long pulls.

#5 ·
Thank you, I am aware of that but I'm looking beyond the short term issue which is a recent issue i believe with the fuel filter and to tackle the issue with my larger 19k trailer. I've run into where it seemed the power slipped off some at the top of the run. I'm assuming due to the computer pulling a little on the fuel due to egts. This seemed to be what I saw with my LMM but not having my gauges on here yet I'm not as sure.

Anyone using these max mpg kits or especially for towing?

#8 ·
I've run into where it seemed the power slipped off some at the top of the run. I'm assuming due to the computer pulling a little on the fuel due to egts.
Anyone using these max mpg kits or especially for towing?
The TOW MAX and the MPG MAX both function the same in "tow mode" (they both have that identical mode in the controller). They inject according to both your boost and EGTs, and as such, function as an EGT control. Keeping the EGTs in check helps prevent the computer from pulling fuel, and giving you more power keeps you from having to lay into as hard to help prevent the EGT problem in the first place.

The systems differ in the "power" or "power/MPG" modes of operation.

#6 ·
Moved to the appropriate forum.

#7 ·
Apologies.

#9 ·
I am looking at a meth system to keep my temps down and increase the motor life. I am going to pull a heavy trailer over big grades like the Rocky Mountains. I only plan on using it for the big hills i dont see a need and i could be wrong for the flat lands. Is a 1,000 dollars worth it you guys think?

#13 ·
It actually doesn't. We can add it as an option - no problem.

The 7 gal reservoir *usually* lasts around 2 tanks of diesel when driving empty (not towing/hauling) and around 1 tank when towing. It can go faster than that if you are really hitting it hard (think, towing up mountain grade at 70mph in the left lane).

#14 ·
Does anyone worry about the added pressure on the heads with a water/meth kit?
As a modification, water-methanol actually increases cylinder pressure very little. When compared to larger injectors or a really aggressive tune, or an intake charge that isn't cooled effectively - it is actually quite small.

What we *do* do, is extend out the pressure curve (steam expansion helps chase the piston down the bore when the diesel burn has lost most of its force) to get much more area under the curve. It's one of the many reasons we call it safe power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.