Diesel Place banner

LBZ boost manifold for W/M, yes or no?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  SnowPerformance 
#1 ·
I tow heavy and am going to install water/meth :driver: The SD boost manifold would save me a lot of work, and I'm nervous about drilling holes in my Duramax, but I'm not sure of the disadvantages of W/M pre-intercooler vs. post-intercooler (intake manifold). I've searched for hours and can't find a good write up on one vs the other. First of all, is the boost manifold a bad idea for meth? Why or why not? Thanks!!

#2 ·
I decided to not do the manifold because of the cost and location...However, I like the idea, but thats as far as it goes.

Pre intercooler can pool the fluid on the bottom of the intercooler and this could work against the whole purpose. You want to be after IC and any electronics.

Drilling the intake is really easy. If you decide to sell the W/M system, you can plug those holes with aluminum set screw type plugs or have them TIG welded.

Im still on the fence about the whole Water/Meth injection thing tho. And Ive had one for a few weeks.... Maybe that will change with more tuning..I dont know.

#3 · (Edited)
The two downsides to ore-intercooler W/M I can find so far are puddling and possible intercooler tube damage, and a less efficient intercooler 'cooling', but I can't find real examples of either.

#5 ·
Correct - you never want to inject pre-air-to-air intercooler. Besides pooling and drawing in an unmeasured amount of fluid at a later time, you have to now work the fluid through all those small passages, and are losing atomization that we work so hard to achieve.

Lil D - call our tech department and have them walk through the settings and fluid usage etc. with you and we will get it lined out.

#6 ·
Ya, I can feel some power, just not sure of mpg's. But I talked to Josh and I am now running the settings that he suggested. My biggest problem is the intermittent plume of steam blowing out the tailpipe when I start my truck.... Kinda embarrassing.

#7 ·
That's usually a simple case of overinjecting - either turn the % down, or bump up the start/full points slightly, etc. Should be easy to dial out, use less fluid, and get better benefits, all at the same time.

Again, feel free to call in if one of the suggestions in our instruction manual on setup don't seem to work, or PM me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.