Diesel Place banner

Tow Max Intermittent Pump Operating

LML: 
2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Swinks11 
#1 ·
Last couple of days when I step on it the truck didnt feel like it was pumping water/meth ( power wise ). So I had some time today a had a look under the hood. Everything looked fine so I took the 2 lines off the intake, and took the boost line off and applyed 25 psi ( air compressor )to the boost line and watch the injections lines. I could hear and see the pump running then stopping, then running then stopping. With a steady 25 psi applyed to the boost line the pump should run steady.( the display was reading 100% injection rate the whole time ) And the volume of water/meth coming out of the line was very very low. This is with open lines, no injectors on the ends. I could stop the flow with my thumb for 10 sec. or so then it would spray out under pressure. I'll try to make this short. I unhooked the line on suction side of pump ( between tank and pump ) and fluid ran out via gravity full volume. Checked all lines, wires, etc. I had it so simple it was just tank pump 20' of line and open to atmosphere ( no check valves, Solenoids, etc. ) And it would still just barely run out the other end with pump running intermittently at a steady 25psi on boost line reading 100% injection rate on display.:confused: The only thing I could come up with was maybe the monitor itself is NFG and sending erratic signals the the pump.. I did not bypass the monitor and try running the pump straight off 12 volt. But I will when I get time again. I know a few people on here that have had problems with the controllers. - My contoller was on my dash ( where it is suposed to be ) warm/hot in near full sun when I was doing all of this.
Sorry for the long post

Thanks Guys

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Just incase someone is following this. I had some time today and wired the pump staight to 12 volt ( No dash controler ) It ran steady but pumped almost 0 for volume and pressure. The flow could easily be stopped by putting my thumb over the end of the line. I'm going to contact Snow tomorrow and see if they are going to stand behind there product. - Has anybody bought just the pump? Or another brand of pump for this application? How much $$$, where? what brand? Thanks

#3 ·
Unhook the pickup side, and hook it to the output side, then hook up a short hose to the pickup and stick it in a bottle. You may have a clog. If there is something stuck in your pre-pump hose, this should get rid of it. If the flow is still bad, then it's the pump. If flow is steady, then it's time to look into a filter, like a plastic filter that the hoses push into, or a "purpose repurposed" filter like the AEM unit.

#5 ·
That was one of the first things i checked. Filter clean and lots of open flow on suction side of pump. Discharge side of pump was just 12" of open line. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.