Diesel Place banner

VW TDI Diesel Gets 120 MPG on one Gal of Diesel with CNG blend!!

18K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Shaman 
#1 ·
Hello it is not a truck but I know it will work for you. This kit was set up for trucks. Being Dr Volks and CNGVW I wanted to show how it would work on a TDI. I have found this to be a very simple and safe kit to work with. My site http://www.CNGVW.wordpress.com has a lot of how the install went. It really come down to what it cost you in fuel to go one mile and the time on the return on investment( the cost of the up grade) so they keep telling me.
I hope it is OK to post it here so let me know what you think.
Bob Mann

#2 ·
Hold on a minute. You are saying 120mpg. I call bullcrap.

yes you used ONE gallon of diesel, but how much CNG did you use??? CNG costs money so you have to factor that into the equation.

Don't say 120mpg and fake hopes. State cost per mile and proper facts. Also CNG requires a network of filling stations.

#3 ·
Hold on a minute. You are saying 120mpg. I call bullcrap.

yes you used ONE gallon of diesel, but how much CNG did you use??? CNG costs money so you have to factor that into the equation.

Don't say 120mpg and fake hopes. State cost per mile and proper facts. Also CNG requires a network of filling stations.

correct, by his figures it should state 70 MPG.
and costs went from 11.2 cents/mile to 5.2 cents/mile which seems a bit far fetched too

#4 ·
It's not worth it. Looked into it already. Not many Cng stations around and you use twice as much Cng as you do fuel. Also the tanks are way to damn high!!!!

#5 ·
think that would depend where you live. More CNG stations around here, not lots. Tanks are more common as interior mounted tanks for propane must be CNG rated to survive an accident

#7 ·
Wonder if the my GMC Topkick with 5:13 gears will get 120, lol

#10 ·
Below is how I came to the math I know the 120 MPG is pushing it but we are talking about off setting cost of fuels here. I am using a $1.00 per CNG GAL here base on Home fueling and some CNG street pumps. and $4.00 a GAL for Diesel the point is to cut the cost you pay Per Mile Traveled for fuel.

VW TDI Diesel Gets 120 MPG on one Gal of Diesel with CNG blend!!
I will give the math up front. 2001 VW TDI 129 K using my new CNG blend test system.
Round trip 90 % Highway 75-80 MPH.
60 Miles round trip used .51 Gal of Diesel and 1.2 GAL (GGE) of CNG yes I have the slips.
That is a 60% blend of CNG it has very smooth power to boot.
The EGT never went over 990F on long uphill pulls.
Using this system should give you a 70% reduce in fuel cost per mile traveled
If I do the math right here on an average a TDI gets 45 MPG at $4 a GAL that is 11.2 cents costs per mile traveled.
Using a CNG blend system it cost 03.3 cents per mile traveled on Diesel. CNG cost per mile traveled is
.02 cents at $1.00 a GAL (GGE). If I did the math right someone please check it that is a cost of
05.2 cents per Mile traveled a savings of 58.2 %. I pay for home fueling now .40 cents a GAL that should push me in the 80% saving on fuel cost.
I have over 1000 miles on this test system no codes just works.
Bob Mann

#14 ·
Hello guys,
Just a word of warning about the OP/ Bob Mann
He is posting this crap all over the Internet.
He posted the same Bull*** at the VW TDI forum as well.
You could read the whole nonsense for yourself:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=353279

He is just a very confused guy.
The point?

Just more reading material on this guy from other diesel enthusiasts. I didn't know the "point" would be that hard to figure out. My apologies.
Both of you could read up a couple post to see it was already covered. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.