Diesel Place banner

Why did/will you buy a water meth kit?

Question: 
7K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  turbovanman 
#1 ·
Friend asked a question, and I could only answer why I installed it.

Pretty simple, just wondering why? Lower EGTS, increase power, MPG, safety, etc?

Do you think that it has done what you want it to?

#4 ·
Greater efficiency from the motor. There were too many benefits, not to use it!

#5 ·
I bought the system because methanol has no cost to me due to my emploment. And of course water is free. Mostly what interested me was beingable to keep drivetrain warrantey ( no signiture to void it ). No black smoke. Ive had programers on my last 2 duramaxes and I would say the power increase from water/methanol is close to the same as a mild to medium tune. And im only running one (1) .625 ml/min. Jet at 50/50 ratio. I'm not seeing any better MPG, but I have the Tow Max kit and have it set to start injecting at 18 PSI. So it never injects unless I have my foot in it. I have still not towed with it yet, but think towing it would be injecting alot more of the time (18PSI and up ). I will be reporting back what I find out for towing very soon EGT,MPG, ETC...

#7 ·
No MPG gain empty or towing . Or at least not anything that I have noticed. I have the "TOW MAX" kit and even on the lowest boost injection level ( 7 PSI ) it almost never injects on the highway ( empty ). My truck cruises at 4-6 PSI on the highway. No EGT decrease, at least not anything that I have noticed. Running with methanol( 50%+ ) I have noticed lots of extra power. I would do it again but only because of my supply of methanol at no charge, and I would get the MPG MAX kit. In my experiance running straight water seems to do nothing at all in real world driving.

#8 ·
I just ordered the mpg max kit will be here today. Got it mostly for cleaner power. Will use it extensively for towing the TT. And occasional fun on the track.
Steep initial investment I don't count on it paying for itself for years to come. If it does what it states I should be able to keep a clean intake and exhaust track. Which is a plus.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#9 · (Edited)
Lower EGT's while towing. Ordered a kit because I was tired of piecing junk together, wanted quality and ease of installation

#10 ·
Thanks for the reply(s)

Do most people not notice much EGT loss or MPG gains? It does seem that everybody notices at least some power gain. Logically I would assume that there would have to be an EGT decrease - especially under load in high outside temps. But I have not tried it myself, I'm asking.

I am looking for mostly towing exp here.

Here is my logic: If it does make more power, you would need less throttle to maintain "x" speed while towing under load. Now, it may be very little 'less throttle', but when I have watched the instant MPG while towing, (with a bluetooth app) it really does not take much to sway it. This backs up why/what everybody states about towing speed relative to MPG (IE: 60mph vs 70mph) On the EGT side, it only makes sense that cooler/denser air/water/meth/fuel going in, would translate to cooler exhaust coming out. But, I know methanol burning does make BTU's (and usually making more power does), but how much does it affect the overall at - say a 50/50 mix? Again, this is at a steady light to medium - sometimes high, load while towing.

Hopefully this makes sense... and thanks!
J

#11 ·
YOu are introducing a fuel(methanol), and a "combustion improver/expansion agent" (water), that is not metered by the computer. You will need less diesel fuel to exert the same amount of power. Whether it is displayed in fuel used and therefore the instant MPG gauge depends on whether the engine is smart enough to notice it (oxygen sensor, or VSS)

#13 ·
what kind of long term effects does using water meth have?

#14 ·
Water?

This may sound like a dumb question - but here goes - What kind of water are you guys using? Distilled? Tap? Bottled? Just figgerin' that if the water was highly mineralized it may cause problems down the road with deposits and corrosion....

#17 ·
This may sound like a dumb question - but here goes - What kind of water are you guys using? Distilled? Tap? Bottled? Just figgerin' that if the water was highly mineralized it may cause problems down the road with deposits and corrosion....

I have always been lead to believe your best using distilled water for water injection because of the risk of deposits.

I know you have to use distilled with HHO generators

#23 · (Edited)
????????????:confused:

Different kettle of fish but I have a kit on my Minivan, helps stop detonation running low grade pump gas and lets me run higher boost at the track without running expensive race gas. Have to go thru a few tanks on my new turbo setup on the diesel to see if I need to get a kit for it.

#21 ·
I have the labonte kit and have had nothing but problems. Mine still doesn't work right. I am going to set it up so its all spray or nothing. I just want it to keep egt's down. When mine was working right in the beginning it was good for keeping egt'e down but never noticed an increase in mpg. I have read on here about guys seeing really good increases in mpg. Not sure what setups they were running though

#27 · (Edited)
I too have been debating the water meth. I am at the limits of what my stock turbo/injectors will allow. Would I need more air to increase the power output or will adding a water/meth system increase my power by itself? I realize that water contains oxygen, but was curious as to how this all works.

#28 ·
Water by itself will only lower EGT's, Meth is what will give you more power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.