Diesel Place banner

Water/Meth injection worth it with fuel prices the way they are?

LLY: 
65K views 187 replies 37 participants last post by  fastone110 
#1 ·
I know there's a lot of info on this topic, but I have come to a dead end. I am on the fence about buying a snow performance kit ( I don't know what stage) as a way to combat fuel cost. I'm looking for some real numbers and data from people that have used the same or similar systems. I know they advertise benefits such as egt reduction, HP, and more MPG. I don't really need the HP because of stock transmission, the egt reduction wouldn't hurt, and I doubt that the kit will net me any more MPG. I'm basically looking at the kit for an alternative fuel source that's cheaper. I tow some what, so I know I'll see the benefits there. But for every day driving is the systems worth the investment with diesel prices on the rise. Diesel ranges from $3.89 to $4.25 as of 4/4/12 here in Illinois. Thanx dp.com.

Plz don't tell me to get smaller tires... lol

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#2 ·
buy smaller tires.

sorry, had to. theyve been putting water only inj kits on class 8 trucks for years. an o/o that worked for our company used it on an early 00's FLD with a cummins and he said when he ran out of water he'd lose .2-.25 mpg. (thats a noticeable change in our industry when ur talking 4.5-6 mpg ave.s)

#3 ·
Depending on exactly what your doing , look into colecting WVO and making biodiesel, even if you run 50/50 Bio/#2 diesel. Your still saveing a lot.
Not including the initial set up , you can make bio for about $1.25 gal
Add that with a wat injection set up ,possibilities are there

#4 ·
The wvo is out if the equation. Everyone around here reuses it

#5 ·
You'd be surprised. It takes some work finding a source, but it is out there.

I've got my costs down to .75-.80/gallon of bio that I make.

#6 ·
I read a few articles about it and it almost got me convinced on buying a stage 3. I'm going to call snow tomorrow and discuss it further.

#7 ·
would be awesome if some guys who've bought these kits, like say the mpg max kit from snow performance, would comment on here and share their results!!

and at $4.09 here, i'm looking at all options too. trust me i'll be brewing biodiesel before summer comes

#32 ·
$4.09 here, i'm looking at all options too. trust me i'll be brewing biodiesel before summer comes
really? I would LOVE 4.09!!! its $4.95 where I am working right now. and $4.52 back home.

#8 ·
Well I order one. I will have tomorrow and have installed by Monday. Ill do my best to report back on results

#9 ·
Please do. I was more concerned out what kind of damage could be done to the motor. When I was looking to do this I wanted to run the 2 small nozzles to keep the pressure up as high as possible. I want to raise my mileage towing and keep my egts down. Not that there high though. I also have unlimited distilled water.

#11 ·
Installed and running. U can feel the power. Egts drop fast. MPG seems better but haven't drove enough to know. Ill keep posting.

#13 ·
Egts: egts at all loads stats are reduced tremendously.
HP: definite increase. You can feel the HP.
MPG. Seems to be increasing MPG a little on cruising speeds but where I see the most benefit from it is maintaining a good MPG on the dic through hills, corners, and stops. I still haven't drove much on it but to me it seems to be worth it.

#14 ·

Attachments

#17 ·
There are two nozzles. One is the MPG Max nozzle the other is the HP shot. You set both nozzles to come on at certain boost pressure. I have the MPG nozzle set to come on at 1 psi and Max out at 15 psi. The injection % is increased as the boost increases to Max psi you set. My eco tune doesn't run much boost so I have mine set low. I have my HP nozzle set to come on at 20 psi and Max out at 25 psi of boost. Hope that helps. I'm open to answer any questions.

#18 ·
MPG seems to of increased 1 or 2 MPG empty. I haven't yet towed with it. I need more time and miles to get more data to prove it.

#21 ·
I'm also running straight -20 washer fluid. A 30% Meth mix.

#24 ·
Yeh I bought if I wanted to change the ratio

#25 ·
Well I drove to work and the dic says about 3 MPG increase. I will have to confirm at the pump

#28 ·
Doesn't say it does

#29 ·
I have just run the 30% Meth for now. Egts are 100 to 300 degrees cooler depending on how hard u get in it. And that's just with my eco 385 tune

#34 ·
i had to back off the injection start point. started quenching the engine.

#36 ·
Thought it sounded low. What's it at now, man? Stupid question, where did u mount them exactly?
Can you add you nozle size for each aswell?

#40 ·
Subscribed.
Also, check out 'lotsofmiles' on the forum. He has alot of experience with water meth on these trucks.

#41 ·
So tempting..but when does this end... This is like a bad habit lol

sent from autoguide

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.