Diesel Place banner

Theoretical question; Water/Meth - HGaskets

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  lotsofmiles 
#1 · (Edited)
...2007 LBZ cc/lb - like new :D...
uh yea. LOL lotsofmiles - you crack me up.! :D
(must be for sale eh.?)

On a serious note. My thinking has never strayed much from desiring a water/meth setup. My reasoning has changed somewhat though.

My truck has a build date of Oct 2005. Ergo it has old style head gaskets. From what I read it appears that high boost and high temperatures appear to be front and foremost in HG failures.

Question: If a guy were to install a system and one that could be controlled or programmed to only come into play at say 15 or 20psi+ boost (while climbing 6% or greater grades whilst pulling a 27' 8500lb trailer), would there be an advantage in as much as a lessor degree of worry in regards to head gasket failure.?

I know there are many benefits of such a system but is it possible that a water meth could be a preventative measure against this failure if applied properly.? Or would it be detrimental..or just a wash so to speak (no pun intended).

thanx...Lotsof..next time your in Calgary..give me a dingle.!

Theo

See less See more
#2 ·
Steakman there is no one that can state when a headgasket will fail. Headgaskets are parts and they are parts that are designed to fail (thanks henry ford) just like every other thing under your's, mine, and everyones hood. There is/are no real way to tell when they are going to or when they will fail if your that worried about it just stud it and replace the HG's now. On a different note I've been using W/M in my 2006 since 2007 and never had an issue with two of the largest nozzles snow offers the 625ml/min and never had a problem. Start psi is set at 21-22psi and full spray at 32-35psi and this is on a stage two manual controlled system (not computer).

#3 ·
My '05 had water meth for about 80% of its life with me. I did have a head gasket issue. When we replaced it the dealer tech was impressed with the overall condition of the engine. I asked if it would have helped to re stud the engine earlier and he was not sure. They have had quite a few head gaskets in the lly replaced with the new style, once that was done there were no more issues. He also did not think my water meth system had anything to do with it since he has done many without and way lower mileage.

Just for good measure, I just placed my order with Snow for their system for my 2012 dually. It tows and runs 80% of the time around 24000 lbs or a bit more. Just want to improve mileage and safeguard against high egt's.

#4 · (Edited)
Rob..I agree that no one can predict when HG's may fail...I know that. As for going ahead and doing it now..that is gonna be an extremely difficult selling job to convince my partner (wife), to spend 4k on something that "aint broke". She'll likely go postal on me.! So I shall wait for the "inevitable"..or maybe not.? Who knows.? Being of higher mileage than most with an LBZ, there's not much to compare to. So we shall see what transpires, treat the rig good as I usually do, change out my fluids as I always do, drive it like I'm sane and hope for the best.

you all will know when and if it does occur. LOL.

W/M is still on my mind though... :D

cheers,

Theo

#6 ·
Ok so what is your counter at right now and when did you add the water meth to the mix?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.