Diesel Place banner

Snow MPG-MAX location on your truck?

LBZ: 
3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  JD4440 
#1 ·
Mines a regular cab so................
I think I'm going to do away with the 7 gal tank and buy the 2 1/2 gal to mount in my toolbox out of the way/ hid. Where does everyone mount their pumps? I'd rather not have to run wiring all the way back to my box, thought about mounting it on the underside of the intake base plate. I really want it all out of sight.
As for the nozzles I guess I'm going to have to drill and tap my EGR delete, I think it's thick enough material. Kicking myself now for not having them put a few extra bungs in :mad:

#3 · (Edited)
$1000 ??? omg... you can get a custom ECU for less than that and get better results.. just sayin.. if it sprays a constant stream at anything above normal boost levels, it seems it would run out pretty quickly..??

just my $.02

#4 ·
I gave $600 for mine off ebay, guy had sold his truck before installing. Says it hasn't even been opened. We'll see I get it friday I guess.
I have seen more than a couple claim 50-75hp and a few hundred deg cooler egt's 1 1/2 - 2 mpg better on boostjuice. I'll definitely be keeping track of it.
As for the ecm, I'm sure it would add 300 deg before it took away that much. This is more for something that's already tuned I suppose.

#5 · (Edited)
Looks like you got a very good deal. The MPG-MAX seems to be ~$200+ more than other Snow water injection kits, I guess due to having a more sophisticated controller.:confused:

FWIW, there should be plenty of room to mount a larger tank under the body somewhere, outside of the frame rail.

I guess coming up with a way to fill lit might be a little problematical though.

I have been looking at possible locations to add additional fuel tanks on my van, and there's a huge space on the left side, outside the frame rail.

But if you're basically in the testing phase, it might be worthwhile to use an even smaller tank located in the most convenient spot possible, just in case you find out that it doesn't provide the benefits the manufacturer claims, in which case you might decide to sell it.

#6 ·
Mines a regular cab so................
I think I'm going to do away with the 7 gal tank and buy the 2 1/2 gal to mount in my toolbox out of the way/ hid. Where does everyone mount their pumps? I'd rather not have to run wiring all the way back to my box, thought about mounting it on the underside of the intake base plate. I really want it all out of sight.
As for the nozzles I guess I'm going to have to drill and tap my EGR delete, I think it's thick enough material. Kicking myself now for not having them put a few extra bungs in :mad:
IIRC the ratio of meth to fuel is 10% to 25%, so with a 2.5 gal tank at 15% you will need to add water/meth every 15 gals of fuel. Pulling my 5th wheel I use 8~9 gals per 300 miles.
I have my tank and pump in the bed tool box:). Rather than drill and tap the EGR delete, I know mine (RDL's) is to thin. Drill it and weld the bungs to it.
1/4" NPT Bungs are about $4, unless they are ARP's, then it's $15:mad:.

#9 ·
OK a little more on this. Do you have this kit ? I never tow so possibly it might last me till each fill up of 25 gallons. Do you use the big tank? My box is an inch too short :mad: Mine is one from Henry, same material I bet. I guess the bungs can be had at a hardware store or do I have to go to NAPA ? I know Snow wants $20 a piece for theirs !

#11 ·
He did make their own with Paul in the beginning/ that's what I have. I'd love to make my own tank and mount it outside the frame. I don't really have anything to make it out of and it look nice. I hate that I'll mess up my powder coating but that's the pipe they screwed up any way. I didn't even notice the 1/4". I was thinking 1/8 the whole time after looking at Snow's bungs.

#12 ·
I put a 7 gal tank in the front of the bed drivers side .Mounted the pump on the frame under window washer tank in front of drivers tire then connected a y fitting from the 7gal tank to the window washer tank to the pump using the electronic solenoid on the line from the 7 gal tank that opens on command for methanol.My egt never goes down when using methanol in fact it rises.But you notice a big power difference instantly.Straight water might lower egt but I never ran straight water yet.

#13 ·
I went ahead and ordered the 2 1/2 gal tank with my fluid. It wasn't that much and I have time to test fit both since I dropped the ball on ordering bungs for my egr delete till today.

#14 ·
OK where has everyone mounted their controllers ? The way the harness comes out of this thing and it's shape are making it a little difficult. Best I've came up with is U-bolting it to the dash framework beside my brake box. I have the 40-20-40 bench.

I'm gonna hate it when I go to the track from now on but I guess the box will be come a permanent fixture once I get this stuff mounted in it and ran through the bed floor.

#15 ·
JD4440 I have run the snow stage 2 kit for six years now and not a lick of trouble. I mounted my pump right below the windshield washer res. Two reason's I did this 1. the fluid has the shortest path to the pump and uses gravity to maintain fluid at pump inlet 2. The driver side fender liner provides a shield and hides the pump not many people would think to look there for performance adders. I'm not sure which controller box your refering to but if its the module between the main controller and the pump I mounted it with velcro on top (or side) of main fuse block. The main adj/gauge unit can simply be tuned to your liking and then hidden in the glovebox and mounted with velcro for ease of removal if you have a problem. And last but not least wiring was kept to a minimal amount due to the fact that my factory DIC tells me when my water/meth is low and know one ever knows but me because I used the windshield res.

#17 ·
No, I have the VC2 diesel build a kit with the EGT option.

#19 ·
Thanks Robby. Your stage 2 may have a different controller/ monitor than mine. Since I mounted my tank in my toolbox the pump is right next to it. I think the hose was 10" between the 2.
I still have to get my freakin' bungs welded in my EGR delete .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.