Diesel Place banner

Intercooler Spray Bar

5K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  boothybunch 
#1 ·
I'm trying to figure out which type of spray bar kit to go with N20 or C02? I'm trying to figure out which is colder and will give the intercooler a much denser charge of air. So my question is which gas is colder N20 or C02?

#2 ·
#3 ·
Thanks for the links LtEng5 so if I read the first link correctly nitrous is colder than C02 being Nitrous had a lowest temp of 32 in one case/chart. Didn't really get much from the second link but still thanks for the help buddy really appreciate it.

#4 ·
yup. you really want the lowest liquid temp so when the valve is opened and the boiled off gas is released it is the coldest it can be; even with a "cold" ambient outside air temp.

#5 ·
Been looking into this even further and found out that DEI make a water sprayer to work in conjunction with the intercooler bar I know it cant be used on the dragstrip but will come in handy for a red light street race lol.

#7 ·
Already use w/m and it does a extremely good job but I'm looking to get the IAT as cold as possible for a super cold dense hits of air until the nitrous runs out and isn't spraying on the IC.

#9 ·
Yes I'll be using a water sprayer setup that will mist water across the IC it will be wired so I can turn it on as needed DEI make the water spray kit I'm looking to use and they make top quailty products JMO after seeing matt handworks truck in person and he's using DEI products.

#10 ·
if you are cooling your intercooler for a drag race application you are are wasting your time. being a turbo charged drag racer we have learned that you CAN NOT cool an intercooler fast enough in a drag race. it is all about heat soak. that is why I run a 37.5 lb air to air intercooler in my race car.

#11 · (Edited)
Rob, I tried it a few years ago. Dumped a whole 10lb bottle of co2 on it while in staging. It did nothing worth while for ET's/mph. It was funny as hell seeing the tech guy run up to my truck wanting me to shut down due to all the Co2 mist. If I used it while going down the track, it would get in the intake and slow the truck way down.

#12 ·
If you want to spray on the intercooler, spray N20 and have a intake pick up close by like some have said here.

at least your using your n20 twice

#13 ·
I was told trying to cool the intercooler was a waste of money..........

Just put in a large better flowing unit and be done with it.............

#14 ·
boothybunch thats what I'm gonna do. Smokinlmm reason it probably has been a waste of time is because people will not take the time to actually try something out of the norm they want something thats turn key and dont actually have to put much effort into it. I'm honestly going to try this sooner or later and see what the E.T.'s at the track look like and will post my results but it will be in the future so dont plan on any numbers as of yet. I also plan on a banks technicooler as well and will be trying this concept on it.

#15 ·
I got a banks cooler on my truck. In theory It should work, If you can saturate the cooler enough. Biggest problem is you have got a huge cooler to cool. I think you would have to build a manifold and have multiple jets to cover the entire cooler.

Has anyone actually considered injecting N20 directly into the intercooler on the turbo side??? Or attaching some thermoelectric plates to the intercooler???

#16 ·
Yes to the best of my knowledge its been injected in all sorts of locations but I've yet to hear of people figuring out a way to freeze it while staging and moving just something I'm wanting to try.

#17 ·
I think you would be struggling to entirely freeze the cooler or a good percentage. You would use alot of N20.

I suppose you could run two bottles, One of Co2 to freeze the cooler while your staging and then N20 to run down the track. Main reason is you don't want to ingest Co2 into your intake.

Have you considered using air impingement to spool up the turbo?? I can remember reading about it in diesel power in a big rig racer from years ago

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.