Diesel Place banner

Methanol shelf life?

11K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JD4440 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the shelf life of methanol? I have a buddy who wants to sell me 25 gallons cheap, but it's been stored in a plastic 55 gallon drum for 10 years. Just not sure if it is still good. Kath oil by me wants 195.00 for a fresh 55 gal drum. Seems kinda high, so I thought I could save a little cash. If the 25 gal is bad, I will buy the fresh drum. Thanks guys

#2 ·
What is the shelf life/stability of methanol?
Without interference from or interaction with external contaminants, methanol will not deteriorate or decompose, thus the shelf life would be indefinite. Problems arise if the product is not protected from exposure to contamination, including exposure to the atmosphere.

For example, methanol is very hygroscopic, i.e., it readily absorbs moisture. So if the product is open to the atmosphere, it will absorb moisture directly from the air.

Also, methanol is an excellent solvent, so it is very important that it be stored in a container of an appropriate material. For example, methanol will dissolve plasticizers in some plastics.

Properly sealed and protected methanol should maintain its integrity for a very long time.

#4 · (Edited)
Properly sealed and protected methanol should maintain its integrity for a very long time.

X2

Properly stored Methanol won't degrade to any great extent.
If you need it, I'd definitely pick that up at such a bargain price.

#3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I talked to the guy and it's been sealed in the 55 gal drum and stored in a garage out of the sun. He said it looks brand new still. At a 1.50 a gallon I am going to pick it up tomorrow. I need it for the track on sat :). I have never used straight meth before in my system. Curious to see how it works compared to washer fluid. Going to do a 50/50 mix with distilled water.

#5 ·
could cut it with some fresh meth or the 50% with the water should help I'd think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.