Diesel Place banner

Labonte Display Mount

3K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  rew_388 
#1 ·
I bought a labonte kit for my lb7 a lil while back and havent installed it yet, I am trying to keep my interior clean looking with all my displays/ gauges. For example I have my insight mounted in my over head console, my gps has all the wires tucked and is in the top right corner as not to create a blind spot. I have done some searches and havent found any mounts for the display to my labonte water meth kit. Has anyone made any custom mounts or anyone got any pics of where they mounted there's

#2 ·
not sure how your interior looks....but what i did was this:

relocated the on/off switch for the passenger side air bag. put it at the very bottom, center of my dash. to the left of the ashtray. made a small bracket out of metal i had laying around. its out of the way, cant really see it, still functional, and its solid.

then i took apart the labonte display. leaving only the screen and circuit board. i got some black plastic (from the interior of a crap toyota sitting in the garage) cut it to the size of the hole were the air bag on/off was. its a square maybe 3''x4''. cut a rectangular hole in the plastic piece the exact same size of the display screen. installed the screen into the hole, secured it all using some snaps from autozone and some plastic adhesive, ran the cable to the display, snapped everything all together and BOOM! flush mounted, stock appearing labonte methanol control display.

it was the best option that i could think of. in my humble opinion, i think it looks better than every one elses mounting that i have seen.

#3 ·
Wow thats where i wanted it but thought it was too big.... Never thought of taking the display apart!!!! Do you got any pics cuz this sounds like the absolute best mount i heard of

#4 ·
i have pics at home. im out of town training right now though.(military) so i dont have my truck or camera.

when i get home, il send some your way. i really like the set up. it really looks factory. the only way that i could have made it better, would have been to put some sort of bezel around the hold i cut for the screen. so you cant see the edge of the cutout plastic surrounding the display screen. it would have made it look even smoother. but if you take your time with a dremel, you can make it look almost seamless. as the thickness of the glass (or whatever the display is made of) is the same thickness of the plastic i used.

it wasnt really hard to do at all. i would say go for it. i did it just off the top of my head. so im sure that you could as well. just find a piece of interior plastic and go for it. if you mess up, its no biggy bc you are not cutting anything thats off of your truck. just the extra plastic piece. so if you mess it up, you can just stick the airbag switch back in and call it quits if you wish.
easy day

#5 ·
Hahaha now i like that even better... Im all about coverin my mistakes up lol

#7 ·
YEA! NO JOKE! it sucks when you have to pull out the crecent wrench, duck tape and JB weld.
everyone seems to laugh at you... till they end up doing it to! :rolleyes:

#6 ·
I put mine in the top left corner of pillar by the visor, slipped the bracket in the head liner

#8 ·
Ya cuz if there is a guy out there that says he aint ****ed up workin on his own truck then guess what... He aint turned a single wrench on it!

#10 ·
Wow thats crazy

#11 ·
Rew388
How did you mount your insight in the upper console? I have been looking for mounting options but couldn't find any. Pics as well if possible. Thanks.

#12 ·
I used the old attitude moun with the double switches and then got the adaptee that lets tge cts mount in cs mounts. Ill get some pics up

#13 ·

#15 ·
Rew388
Yea that's a perfect setup. Exactly what I'm looking for. Are you still able to remove the cts easily for updates? Any issues on the length of cables? Egt, obdm and video for backup camera? Did you have to shave any plastic off. Sorry for all the questions but this as close as I've came to the setup I want. Thanks.

#16 ·
I havent tried removing cuz i got a laptop but if you do youll have to remove the mount cuz the cts slides up out of the adaptor and all the cables were plenty long but i dont have the back up camera only egt. No shaving was necessary you do use a drill to remove the black plastic cubby hole but its rel simple and ya im sure you can still get all the parts just do a post in the price request section.... I got my stuff from big bad diesel on competitiondiesel.com they were runnin a sale but im sure alot more vendors have them

#17 ·
#18 ·
i will be heading back home tomorrow morning. i will try to get some pics on here of the labonte screen.

i think you will like it. since you already have the aluminum mount for the edge... you could even get a piece of aluminum and mount the screen into the aluminum. then mount that into the hole for the airbag. that would look pretty slick i think.

#19 ·
Mmmmm i like that idea alot!!

#22 ·
That was one of the spots i was thinkin^

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.