Diesel Place banner

Devils Own Progressive WI kit on a 98 6.5 TD

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Diaric 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been getting a few requests for more info on my install. In order to minmize my two finger typing, here's a repost of some of my info from Devils Own injection forums:

It's been slow going, but I've finally progressed enough to post up a few pics.

It's not done yet, but I'm at about the 75% point.

It's going to run straight water for EGT control only. 21:1 compression and methanol injection isn't that great a mix......

It's a simple system, just one 10gph nozzel and a [URL="http://www.alcohol-injection.com/water-injection-parts-3/progressive-controller-14.html"]Progressive Controller[/URL] run off boost reference.

Lets play "spot the nozzle"!

(please excuse the engine bay being a mess, we're on water restrictions right now)

Here?

How about here?

Don't see it yet? An easier angle maybe?

OK, now you have to see it:

Just the way I like it; Nice and clean, and you need to look closely to tell anything has been done from factory......

Pump is tucked away all nice and snug in the frame rail, safe from rocks and other nasty debris (and prying eyes):

I only had to drill one hole. I was able to reuse two factory holes already there. There's only three holding the pump on, but I couldn't bring myself to drill another. The pump is solid, doesn't move at all when turned on. The rubber isolators do their job well and everything is stable and quiet.

Uh oh, waitaminute....that's right next to the exhaust pipe. A heat shield is definitely in order:

That's better.

No, your eyes aren't fooling you. That's the case from an old ECM. I've got lots of 7477 parts left over from my OBDI/TBI days (I mess with 7427's for OBDI and mostly OBDII 411's now). An old case makes a nice little shield.

I originally wanted to install my controller on the back of the lower console I fabbed up:

But it's not visible or adjustable from the drivers seat when the seat is slid forward in the driving position.

So, a change in plans is in order:

I lost one mounting space for an Auber gauge, but gained more functional use of the DO controller. I still have room for fuel pressure, trans temp and oil temp. I didn't know what I was going to use the 4th guage for anyways....

I've got the buck made for the fiberglass water tank.

Side with drop sump:

Back side:

bottom:

I had planned to make the tank using a "lost foam" core, but the complexity of the area means a cardboard mock up is a better choice. I'll just Tuck tape it all, lay up over it and then pull the cardboard and tape off the fiberglass through the upper access hole you can see in the current form. Not the most "elegant" way to do it, but it works just fine for this type of application (IE: "rough" finish is fine)

I was going to install a slosh baffle in the tank, but the shape and nature of the sump itself is going to do the job. The water feed, feed filter, sump drain and level sensor will be located in the sump.

Believe it or not, that tank works out to 6 USG.

My chosen location is on the passenger side, under the bed and forward of the rear wheel. It needs to be shaped the way it is to fit in around the bed and cab mounts as well as the front spring hanger. The shallow depth (except for the sump) is necessitated by the amount of space I have to work with at the bottom of the bed side to actually get the tank in and out without bending the bed side or removing braces, tires, etc. It slips in on its side between the frame and bed side, then pivots to point the sump straight down next to the frame.

While 6 gal is good, I want more. I'll be looking to locate another tank of approx 4 gals somewhere else under the bed and tie the two together with balance pipes.

Still haven't worked out where the filler cap will be located.

Next up is to run the wiring and lay-up the water tank. I also need to order a bit more tubing as the run from the nozzle to pump used up al the tubing I had. Still need a couple feet to go from the tank (which is mounted higher than the pump) to the pump.

Getting SOoooooo close......

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Leak check.....

Passed!

Measured out at 32 liters total.

Takes 25 mins for it to drain through the hose fitting

I'll carry a 6 gallon jug in the bed during the cross continent road trip for "emergency fills" if I run out before I find access to a hose.

The sump holds 3 liters and the level sensor will be positioned to let me know when I get into it. The sensor with fire off an LED I have in my custom dash warning panel.

#4 ·
Not exactly my usual "aircraft quality" work, but it's pretty much done and will work fine for under the bed of my truck:

Next up is to hang it, make a custom fill tube (already underway!) and finish up the wiring.

Then it's good to go!

#5 · (Edited)
Well, the controller is in and the system is up and running.

It seems to be working well with all the other upgrades I've added to the truck.

There's a very steep long hill I use for testing. I used to be able to spike EGT's to 1200 with ease.

Now, with the 4 inch exhuast, retuned PCM, turbomaster and Water injection I can only get it to spike 950 -ish not matter how stupid I get with the loud pedal.

Should work great for the long tow I've got to do at the end of this month.

I'm towing a 35 foot Travel trailer from the west coast to the east coast. Vancouver Island to Newfoundland.

Just about as far as you can possibly go.

I'd also like to add my compliments to the DO ordering and shipping crew.

I fried my controller (my own bonehead fault, nothing wrong with the equipment) and had to order a new one.

Turns out they were back ordered.

Canada post went on strike and DO upgraded my shipping to FEDEX International priority at no extra cost to me.

That sucker got from Ohio to Comox in less than 48 hrs! That includes clearing customs.

Well done DO staff. Much appreciated!

#6 · (Edited)
Last little bits of info:

I hung the tank under the bed "side saddle" on the passenger side, forward of the rear wheel well.

The fill and vent tubes run to the back of the truck. The fill tube runs up and into the rear stake pocket. I have a truck cap and never use the stake pockets anyways.

Right now I just have a plug in the fill line, but it will get a custom cap and scupper assembly.

There's a switch that powers the LED low level float switch int eh lower center console so I can turn it off instead of staring at it.

The LED comes on with about 2 liters of water left.

There's another switch in the lower console that kills power to the whole DO pump/controller so it doesn't run when dry.

It's working well for EGT control, time to start experimenting for the optimal operation for the best egt and MPG balance.

Piece of cake to do, the controller is completely adjustable from the driver seat for max and min with just a twist of a dial....

#7 · (Edited)
Extremly nice job. Ordered the basic kit and it got shipped via fedex to the bus station. Can't complain about quality or service

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.