Diesel Place banner

Nitrous, how far can it take me?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  CNY6.5TD 
#1 ·
Alright guys, like the title says, im wanting to know what kind of power numbers i can achieve. I pretty much want to set my truck up to be work stock pulling rules compliant without the spray, and run the nitrous to be able to keep up in some of the rwyb classes here in CNY. I guess im looking for feedback from guys who maybe have done something similar. My truck is in pieces right now awaiting So Cal stage 1 heads and studs. Should i be looking at upgrading my CP3 and larger nozzles to compliment the oxygen extender? My CP3 and injectors have around 30k or less miles. Im currently running duramax tuner's max effort LB7 tune and im sure im going to have to make some adjustments for nitrous.

#2 ·
Are you still running stock rods? I would recommend backing your timing #'s down a couple degree to compensate for the extra cylinder pressure. With a stock bottom end I would not run much over a .0070 jet. If you use your head you can run nitrous for quite a while without too much fear of blowing stuff up. Good luck with it.

#3 ·
Thanks BigDmax, thats more or less what i already had figured.

Seriously, not another soul has anything to say about using nitrous?

#5 ·
Seriously, not another soul has anything to say about using nitrous?
X2.... I have been thinking of NOS for a while. But I would like some good input on what it will do for me, before I spend all that money. Come on guys...help us out!

#4 ·
I like running pure #2, Don't do drugs :)

#7 ·
For diesel you do not have to retard timing.

Nitrous for us is simply turbo in a bottle. If you are already cleaning up all the fuel you have and blowing no smoke at WOT, nitrous will not help you.

Nitrous is for applications with very large fuel requirements, as it has more oxygen when broken down than atmospheric air.

If you are feeling out nitrous as a next step power adder, you are wrong. Nitrous is more or less a crutch to create ideal engine conditions where they are otherwise unattainable.

#8 ·
UH, well, im pretty sure with the tune im running i WILL have to retard the timing some. I understand detonation is obviously not a concern with a diesel, but overall cylinder pressure is. Im also kind of curious how an oxygen extender is not a power adder?

I think my reason for wanting nitrous and not a turbo upgrade is pretty straightforward and the only way im going to do what i want to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.