Diesel Place banner

2011 DIY propane injection stats - Pulling a Travel Trailer

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  marcdeluca 
#1 ·
Thought I would follow up on my other thread from 2009 on my propane injection. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315409

My burb now has 195K miles on it, roughly 40K with propane. The propane kicks in on early while increasing speed and stays on above 45mph. Injection is about 2/3 GPH or 60Kbtu/hr. It still gets about 18MPG city.

Recent addition - 1999 Mercedes e300 it Likes propane :)
2nd addition - 26' travel trailer - 5500 dry lbs.

Over Memorial day I towed the TT almost 3K miles from South Florida to San Antonio Tx. I can feel/hear the truck work when I exceed 45 MPH with the trailer.

Rough numbers for comparison on mostly flat ground.
MPH / MPG / Turbo / Engine / EGT
55 / 14 / 0 PSI / 180 / 600
60 / 12 / 1 PSI / 190 / 700 / == 2K RPM
65 / 10 / 5 PSI / 200+ / 800

Pulling the hills on cruse @65 MPH I lost up to 5 MPH, droped out of OD,the TC jump to 8 PSI and the EGT run to 1100. Most of the trip I stayed at 55 for all for the reasons stated above.

After the 3K miles there is no diesel smoke evident on my TT. I am almost thinking it is burning too clean for a diesel.

I am curious if others are seeing the similar results. Should I turn up the turbo a little and/or add a higher shot of propane pulling the hills?

See less See more
#2 ·
You can run way more propane than that if you want to. The problem is that you don't have much capacity. How much does it cost you per gallon?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.