Diesel Place banner

nitrous+water together! anyone done it?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  JBarker-BanksPower 
#1 ·
okay i know that dmitri has used this setup but has anyone else ran nitrous and water/meth together. will it freeze due to the temp drop by the nitrous(just a thought)? and how would they work together(combustion wise) if water doesnt freeze? already have the nitrous setup in place I am just wanting to supplement it and reduce some egt with the water. thanks mike

#3 ·
I ran a set up on my TA with a large front mount and a good size injection of water/meth post intercooler of course. I started playing around with a little nitrous kit i had laying around and sprayed pre turbo just to see how things would work. I didnt expect any big gains since i was only running a 35 shot. I WAS WRONG. Boost comes in a lot harder and there was a small but noticeable drop in IAT's.

You also have to think that the meth also increases the freezing point of water and i dont see your IAT's getting any where close to freezing.

The only issue i can see is if you injected the water/meth and nitrous right on top of each other. I would probably spray the nitrous first since it doesn't depend on placement so much as the water injection does. As long as they are a foot or two apart i think you will be more then fine.

#4 ·
thats kinda what i was thinkin as well just wanted some reinforcment on it. thanks guys

#5 ·
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm curious how the water/meth works. If I understand it correctly, when you have it turned on it uses a temp probe, or obd2 to determine the IATs, and it won't inject unless IATs are over a set point. Ie. using one, two or three stages of water/meth at different temp ranges. So when running nitrous if your IATs drop bc of the nitrous temperature the water/meth should shut itself down anyway, unless you run it switched, like the nitrous.

If that is how you guys run the water/meth, you would need to inject the nitrous first, otherwise you would begin to get condensation in the intake if you bring the IATs low enough.

I may be wrong about my impression of how water/meth works, but it is used to lower IATs, and injected via a jet/atomizer so it is a very fine spray. The idea behind it is to pull heat from the air, and the methanol burns cooler to reduce EGTs. My take is that you inject a fine spray so that it vaporizes before it gets pulled into the cylinders. Thus you really shouldn't have to worry about it freezing, so much as condensation in the intake.

Last I knew, you didn't want liquid water going through a motor, but I'm a nobody so if that is what happens someone explain it to me a little better.

#6 ·
Both nitrous and water will get injected after the turbo. The water isn't a problem as long as its controlled off a hobbs switch or egt probe which most controllers now use both.

#7 ·
So is the general idea to spray the water and have it vaporize, or have tiny water droplets going through the motor?

#8 ·
Very fine mist/vapor

#9 ·
okay i know that dmitri has used this setup but has anyone else ran nitrous and water/meth together. will it freeze due to the temp drop by the nitrous(just a thought)? and how would they work together(combustion wise) if water doesnt freeze? already have the nitrous setup in place I am just wanting to supplement it and reduce some egt with the water. thanks mike
We've been using water/meth and nitrous on our rail for a while now (see below). No problem at all. We didn't see any increase in power but there was an additional drop in IAT and EGT under full power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.