Diesel Place banner

propane injection

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  shroudedunity 
#1 ·
maybe im blind. but i havent seen anything on here about propane injection. im trying to weigh the benifits of water/meth vs propane injection. ive read up on other posts about water/meth. but im still curious about the results of a propane injection system. how far (if any) does it take down the EGT's? what about power gain and fuel MPG's?
any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Well not knowing what mods you have done to your truck all I can say is in general. Propane will increase your MPG, but are you really saving anything? It increases your egt's and obviously since it is a fuel, it messes with the timing as well. H2O/Meth will lower egt's if you don't use too much Meth. I have run both seperately and also at the same time. IMO I don't think it's worth the potential problems I blew a head gasket doing it and I had head studs. Mind you that was several years ago before EFI live and I was stacking tuners too. There are a lot of guys who swear by the stuff, I don't happen to be one of them. Either propane or H2O/meth. I'd 10 times rather put in a little bigger injector and go with a good set of towing twins. Better EGT's, better MPG and tons of power. my .02.

#3 ·
ok thanks for the info. i havent really talked to anyone who has used it before. i think il just stick to the water/meth idea.

#5 ·
Do a search in this forum on it. There is a lot of info here from a few years back. I did it and it works great. You have to make sure that the propane you buy is relatively cheap. The tanks are a pita. I just used barbecue tanks.

#6 ·
Haha you just built your own kit with a solenoid valve? I'm about to be dumping a lot of fuel into my motor. So I think I'm just gonna use the water meth kit to keep it from getting to toasty.

#7 ·
I'm running with propane and never had a problem with overheating, blowing gaskets, or head studs. I pull a camper that is loaded weighing 12000 lbs and the egts stayed in good normal operating temperatures. If you are interested I have a spare unit that I have for sale and has never been used.

#8 ·
well i would. however, im not at that part of my build yet. as of now, i just got the truck from guy tripp with some motor work under the hood. im trying to get my grubby hands on a twin kit for the time being. i have a ppe dual fueler that im trying to depart of/trade to get them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.