Diesel Place banner

Methanol in MN?

7K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  RJWesleyIII 
#1 ·
Anybody know where I can buy straight methanol in MN? Im done using washer fluid after seeing what its doing to my oil. Thanks, Rob

#3 ·
Thanks Labonte! I will check them out.

#4 ·
I found the prestone de icer, the ingredients are:
methyl alcohol (67-56-1) ethylene glycol (107-21-1) water (7732-18-5) and silicone copolymer.

What do you think of this, and what do those numbers mean?
Thanks

#10 ·
I found the prestone de icer, the ingredients are:
methyl alcohol (67-56-1) ethylene glycol (107-21-1) water (7732-18-5) and silicone copolymer.

What do you think of this, and what do those numbers mean?
Thanks

those numbers are just the CAS numbers for each chemical. a CAS number is pretty much just a registry of different chemicals. it was started back in the 50s i beleive. so simply put, (67-56-1) is meth's registered number. (107-21-1) is ethylene glycol's...so on and so forth. ethylene glycol is anti-freeze. idk about you, but im not sure if i want anti-freeze or the silicone polymer in my engine. sounds a little sketchy.

#6 ·
its about 40 mins from me

#7 ·
Find a place that sales propane, the normally keep straight meth on hand. That's where I got mine from. I was about 5 bucks a gallon about a year and a half ago, but I haven't kept up with it since I went with the twins.

#8 ·
What does the washer fluid do to your oil?

#9 ·
#13 ·
yea no problem. i was kind of a nerd in chem class haha.... with all the talk about using windshield washer fluid for injection, i think i would stay clear of it for that reason. i dont have much room to talk considering ive never used it. but i know what i dont want in my engine! i think the best way to do it would be to not cut any corners. just order 100% meth and buy a few gallons of distilled water. it may be more expensive than washer fluid, but cheaper than ruining your oil and eventually your motor.

#14 ·
Yeah i hear ya, i wasn't too sure of WF myself when i first heard of it being used that way

#16 ·
#18 ·
No prob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.