Diesel Place banner

Methonol injection.

6K views 56 replies 20 participants last post by  Diesel Wanna Be 
#1 ·
I was thinking about a water methenol injection kit for my lbz. Anyone have an opinion on these setups? Any suggestions for a kit and do they help mileage. My mods are Triple dog economy tune, transgo jr, 4" exhaust, egr blockoff w/fingerstick. Looking for economy and better towing.

#2 ·
Noboby running these?

#3 ·
im loving it, got a stage 3 by snow and all is great.
as for milage, ive been to distracted as my egt gauge gets eyeballed too often, watching the needle rise real slow.:D

i run minus 35 bluewindshield wassher and there is about 30% meth or so ihear.

iirc, the horse power gain was around 50extra,using blue wash,,and maybe more with other blends:)

#4 ·
I think this thread will get moved to the Fuel Section...as it should be. Derrikdude..take a good look before ya post..there is dedicated section for water meth...and a good one at that.!

Wish I could answer your query..its something I want to do too...when the coin allows.

cheers,

Theo

#5 ·
I have the labonte setup on my truck. They will help keep you cool but I haven't noticed any gains in mpg.

#8 ·
How much cooler? Mines getting pretty hot at the track again. I read where distilled water doesn't contaminate your oil as bad either. That's all I'd spray is water anyhow.

#6 ·
Sorry about posting in the wrong area, I will pay more attention to my random queries. Thanks though I was thinking about a Labonte it has the gauges.

#7 ·
moved to Propane, Nitrous, & Water Meth

#9 ·
subscribed....

#10 ·
Someone posted in another thread about a cost analysis on water meth, to see what savings , if any in fuel costs there was and it got me to thinking about it...no one has ever really done that, that I have seen. It does reduce EGT's but is it cost effective?

If you should only run distilled water (to reduce mineral deposits/oil analysis) That is like $1.99 a gallon . How much is methanol per gallon now? in a 55 gallon drum, it used to be about $5.00 per gallon, but it's pretty caustic to handle and have around. I wouldn't want to run windsheild washer soap through my engine, but even that is over $2.00 per gallon, even though it's a mix/blend being used.

How long does a gallon last? How many miles? at say 50/50 or 30/70?

Thanks1

#40 ·
Someone posted in another thread about a cost analysis on water meth, to see what savings , if any in fuel costs there was and it got me to thinking about it...no one has ever really done that, that I have seen. It does reduce EGT's but is it cost effective?

If you should only run distilled water (to reduce mineral deposits/oil analysis) That is like $1.99 a gallon . How much is methanol per gallon now? in a 55 gallon drum, it used to be about $5.00 per gallon, but it's pretty caustic to handle and have around. I wouldn't want to run windsheild washer soap through my engine, but even that is over $2.00 per gallon, even though it's a mix/blend being used.

How long does a gallon last? How many miles? at say 50/50 or 30/70?

Thanks1

Both Walmart and my local Culligan sell distilled water for $0.80 per gallon

Meth by the 55 gallon drum has run about $2.25-2.75 per gallon.

I'll be getting another drum by the end of the year and will post the price

#11 ·
I dynoed an extra 70 hp and 100 ft lbs torque with the labonte kit. I run a #10 and a #14 nozzle. When I am out racing around I dump in -20 blue washer and add a bottle of yellow heat for extra methanol. :) When driving or towing I use the -20 blue washer fluid. Works awesome when your towing, especially when your climbing hills. My tranny rarely downshifts :D

#13 ·
sometimes I can get the -20 blue for a little over a buck. When I find it I buy a couple cases. you wont get any power from water. When its not on sale its like a 1.60 or so a gallon.

#14 ·
How many miles do you get to a tank of meth. How big is your tank?

#18 ·
I just tapped into the bottom of my washer tank, so when its getting low the dash beeps at me. It will last me a week if I dont beat on it all the time, but sometimes I fill it every 3 days :) I dont tow very much, and I would recommend a bigger tank if you do.

#15 ·
Yeah I have been thinking about adding a water meth kit to my truck too. Seems to be some easy and relatively cheap horsepower that helps you run safer. I almost picked up a used kit for 150 bucks the other day but figured I should research it first lol.

Running washer fluid thru my engine scares me though.

#19 ·
Just make sure you only run the blue washer fluid when its spraying. It will also keep your intake clean.

#16 ·
A buddy of mine has a 6 gallon tank and when he pulls his large 5er with his Ford he uses about 6 gallons in 250 miles when pulling in hilly terrain. I have drilled and tapped my intake for a system but have not put one in yet as I would only use it when pulling my 5er to cool the EGT's down.

#17 ·
Got mine today. Thanks dave. snow stage 3

#21 ·
I'm patiently waiting for Banks...

But I don't know how much longer I can wait

#23 ·
Thanks for the info. I did get a snow mpg max stage three kit still can't wait to install it.

#25 ·
Yah the heet bottles work good :). What is the other fluid that your talking about at walmart with 100% methanol?

#27 ·
I will check the 2 walmarts that are close to my house tomorrow. If I find it, I will post some pics up. Thanks for the info. Rob

#29 ·
For fluids -20 to -25F window wash average about 30-35% meth. Adding 2 of the 12oz Yellow bottles of HEET (99.9% meth) to 1 gal wwf gets you close to a 50/50 mix. 50/50 is good for about 50-70 rwhp gain, 100% gets you little over 100rwhp but EGTs are going to go up so not recommended for towing or daily driver.

Typical fluid usages will vary based on how heavy you are on the throttle, but average should be 65-75 miles per gal of injection fluid. Or estimate about 10% of diesel fuel used.

FYI - the DIS-S4 is now available for LB7, LLY, LBZ and LMM. Upgrades over the previous S3 kits include EGT probe input and fluid monitoring

More info here:
http://www.labontemotorsports.com/store/ccp0-prodshow/DIS_S4.html

#30 ·
can this be added to the 100 system?

#31 ·
Are you asking can a DIS-100 kit be upgraded to a S4 system? If so yes. Would be replacing the VC-100 controller with the S4 and adding a second solenoid and smaller pre-injection nozzle.

You can upgrade just about any system since the S4 has self calibration to flow map any nozzle or 12v pump combination.

#32 ·
Can you send me a price on the upgrade. Thanks bud

#34 ·
Why not just go to the local hot rod shop or chemical supply and buy 100% methanol?

#35 ·
Can I use my SoCal Diesel super boost manifold for the water/meth injection nozzles? I have my boost gauge installed there but there is 2 more ports for other stuff.

#39 ·
Yes that makes install simpler now that a number of aftermarket manifolds are now being built with bungs for the meth injection. Dollar per hp its about the best mod you can do for your truck. Just for little over $400 looking at 50-70 rwhp gain with 50/50 fluid. Lower egts, some increase in mpg and reduced carbon build up so engine breaths better.

#37 ·
Been to a couple Outlaw Sprint Car races, funny how those little small block sound like blown alky big blocks in the pits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.